Help

Kindergarten

The crazy kinder parent

>

Sbkangas5

The crazy kinder parent
Old 08-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We won our team award for craziest parent this year! We do home visits every summer, and today was our strangest and most... disturbing visit yet.
  • We show up and the kid isn't there (we make it very clear we are there to meet the child and family members!). The mom says "Oh, well, I didn't meet my teacher until the first day of school so I thought he didn't need to be here."
  • Mom is clearly strung out on something. I mean, maybe it's that she has some serious mental health issues, but we're pretty sure it was drugs. No eye contact, very odd demeanor. Very uncomfortable.
  • We got the whole story on her school experience and how she was bullied, etc. and is afraid and worried for her son. But then she goes on to say how he's really friendly and has never had to worry about bullies. And then to say how he won't speak up when he's bullied which is why she's worried.
  • We take a picture at the home visit. We told her she could send us one. She said "oh, you need a picture to show the police?" We replied no, it's just to go up in the classroom. "For when the police come?"
  • Speaking of the police, she was very paranoid about the strangest things.
  • She tells us that in the house there is sometimes some "tension" and "unpleasantness" between the adults. There's no dad in the picture so not quite sure what that meant.
  • We keep the kids for an extra hour once during the first three weeks to do assessments (they all get out an hour early for 3 weeks). She wanted to be there. Ummm, no. It's during school hours. You do not need to be there. We've never had a parent ask to be present.
I do not want this woman in my classroom! We will definitely be alerting admin asap. We've had our share of wackos and druggies, but she absolutely took the cake today. We could not get out of that house fast enough! I'm just so glad I don't have to do home visits by myself!

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-07-2019, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reading your post makes me very thankful that we don't do home visits. I am glad that you weren't by yourself.

That poor little guy. You can imagine what he is dealing with at home. He may have some issues, but you are going to be his safe haven.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Home visit
Old 08-07-2019, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh dear. It sounds like she cares about her kid, but those comments about police are a worry. I wonder if she's heard some story about police visiting a classroom and doesn't realise that it isn't a regular occurrence

Of course drugs would certainly explain the paranoia. Here's hoping this little boy has a wonderful year in spite of a potentially chaotic home life! Sometimes those kids end up loving school more than anyone
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

You win!
Old 08-08-2019, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yep, she sounds like someone that is high. I am glad I never had to do home visits.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote