Help

Kindergarten

Sharing Student Workmats

>

iteachk2010

Sharing Student Workmats
Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just updated a set of phonics workmats I created for my students that I thought I'd share. The workmats are organized by the order in our formal phonics program. (We don’t start in our phonics program until October. We spend the beginning of school introducing all the letters and sounds and work on letter formation (wikki stix, letter construction pieces…) first, so all students have been exposed to the letters and sounds before we start the phonics program. Mastery is not expected.) Once we start in the phonics program, I use the worksheets in small groups or with individual students for review and/or intervention. I print out the workmats I need and put them inside plastic sheet protectors. Students use dry erase markers. We don’t do all the activities on the workmat in one sitting, but we do some type of dictation every time so students decode and encode.

The student workmats have six different sections:

1. In the first section, there are five letters-both uppercase and lowercase forms in random order. (Our phonics program uses letter groups-one vowel with 4 or 5 consonants.) Students name the letters while pointing to the letters. The second time through, they say the sounds/do the gestures for each letter. (We have a gesture for each letter.) Sometimes I have students draw lines to match the uppercase to lowercase letters.

2. In the next section, there are four letter slides using the letters from the first section. Students read the letter slides (beginning consonants with vowels) and blend the sounds. i.e. “ba slide” /ba/.

3. In the third section, there are c-v-c words that use those same letters. Students blend the letter slides with final consonants while sliding their finger underneath the letters to help them read the real and nonsense words. Sometimes I have students “mark” the word before reading it. (Our phonics program has students draw an x underneath the vowels in words.)

4. In the fourth section, there are pictures. Students name the pictures and find the c-v-c words in the third section. Students either point to the word or draw a line from the picture to the word.

5. In the fifth section, there are five sets of guidelines that are used for dictation. The teacher dictates either a letter, a sound, a letter slide or a word one at a time. The student use dry erase markers to write. (Students have to draw arrows underneath the letter slides and draw an x underneath any vowels in words based on our phonics program.) The teacher can scaffold the activity. Students, who need the additional support, don’t cover up the other sections during dictation so they can refer to those sections for support. The other students cover those sections with a half sheet of construction paper. When students are ready, the word dictation includes other words that fit the letter group, but aren’t on the workmat for students to apply what they’ve learned. The teacher could dictate a simple sentence for students to write on the guidelines.

Some days, students use the sets of guidelines to practice letter formation. Teacher models. Students write. If needed, you could use different colored markers to trace over the headline, midline and baseline and use yellow highlighter to highlight the section between the midline and baseline.

6. The last section has Elkonin boxes to use for phoneme segmenting. Sometimes they place counters in the boxes as they are segmenting a word. Other times, they use dry erase markers to write the letters in the boxes for the sounds they hear.

I will post the links in the next post.

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are the links.

Letter Group 1-Aa, Bb, Ff, Dd, Gg

LG 1 Student Workmat 1 (slides-ba, da, fa, ga/final consonants-b, d, g)

Letter Group 2-Ee, Hh, Jj, Ll, Mm

LG 2 Student Workmat 1 (slides-ha, ja, la, ma/final consonants-b, d, g, m)
LG 2 Student Workmat 2 (slides-he, je, le, me/final consonants-b, d, g, m)
LG 2 Student Workmat 3 (slides-be, de, fe/final consonants-b, d, g, m)

Letter Group 3-Oo, Nn, Pp, Rr, Ss

LG 3 Student Workmat 1 (slides-na, pa, ra, sa/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p)
LG 3 Student Workmat 2 (slides-ne, pe, re, se/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p)
LG 3 Student Workmat 3 (slides-no, po, ro, so/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p)
LG 3 Student Workmat 4 (slides-bo, do, fo, go/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p)
LG 3 Student Workmat 5 (slides-ho, jo, lo, mo//final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p)

Letter Group 4-Uu, Tt, Vv, Ww, Xx, Yy

LG 4 Student Workmat 1 (slides-ta, va, wa, ya/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)
LG 4 Student Workmat 2 (slides-te, ve, we, ye/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, s, t, x)
LG 4 Student Workmat 3 (slides to, yo, tu, yu/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)
LG 4 Student Workmat 4 (slides-bu, du, fu, gu/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, s, t, x)
LG 4 Student Workmat 5 (slides-hu, ju, lu, mu/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)
LG 4 Student Workmat 6 (slides-nu, pu, ru, su/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)

Letter Group 5-Ii, Qq, Zz, Cc, Kk

LG 5 Student Workmat 1 (slides-ca, co, cu, za/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)
LG 5 Student Workmat 2 (slides-ke, ki, que, qui/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)
LG 5 Student Workmat 3 (slides-bi, di, fi, hi/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)
LG 5 Student Workmat 4 (slides-ji, li, mi, ni/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)
LG 5 Student Workmat 5 (slides-pi, ri, si, ti/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)
LG 5 Student Workmat 6 (slides-vi, wi, yi, zi/final consonants-b, d, g, m, n, p, t, x)

Sbkangas5

Old 08-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These are fantastic! What a great resource for small groups and intervention. Thank you so much for always being so generous with your work!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You're welcome. I like sharing. Through my career, I have been blessed by other teachers and want to pay it forward. As you can probably tell, I was a little ambitious and decided to update and reorganize my digital files this summer. I had grand hopes of doing all my files, but it took me most of the summer to just redo my phonics stuff. Maybe next summer I will get through all my math stuff.

Sprite

Old 09-01-2019, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Love this! Thank you.

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 09-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You're welcome.