Help

First Grade

Fundations in First Grade - set up

>

cookiesmart

Fundations in First Grade - set up
Old 09-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are piloting Fundations as a tier 1 intervention for all students in our school. We have all the tools, and I have gone to the training (though I had to go to the second grade training due to dates available), but I'm not sure I am clear on when to have the students at the carpet, when to have them at their desks, and how to make that transition smooth and efficient to keep down the time. I'm also not sure the best way to store their supplies, again to keep it efficient. I want to set up good habits early on in the program; I know we'll be slow at first but it will be worth it if it's a good system. I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

cookiesmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Fundations
Old 09-10-2019, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The routine does take longer than my kids stayed engaged, especially the kids who knew the material. I split it up into short carpet times.

Letter tiles were so time consuming to manage. In beginning of year, I had them just use the tiles we needed for the week. I wrote numbers on back with gold sharpie to store and give out. Stored in small compartment box from craft shop.

After first year, we dropped markings, and used our reading program word list instead of Fundations lists. My admin asked for research to support Fundations letter sounds intro (why long vowels and vowel teams introduced so late in year,) but they couldn’t.

So we ended up using some Fundations activities, word sound cards, letter tiles only in beginning of year. Dictation weekly in pink workbook.

Good luck. Some schools use it completely and love it.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

cookiesmart

Thank you!
Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I appreciate the thoughts! It's definitely been even more of a process than I'd expected. This makes me feel better that it's not just me!
cookiesmart is offline   Reply With Quote