Help

Creative Outlet

Question for you/opinions wanted

>

Cat woman

Question for you/opinions wanted
Old 09-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be doing a craft show in October and another possibly in December and am planning to have some Christmas stockings for sale. I plan to have some already completed, but would like to offer the possibility of having a stocking personalized with a name on the cuff. This really needs to be done before attaching it to the stocking. Would it be weird to have some stockings on display without the cuff attached so people could choose a stocking design and then order the personalization for it? I want to keep it easy for myself and having the bulk of the stocking done would accomplish that (especially for the December show).

Another thought is that I could have a sample of personalized stockings (I made some really cute ones for my cats ) and then take orders and have maybe just three types of fabric available for people to chose from and then go from there.

Which seems the best way to go about this— or do any of you have another idea?

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 09-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I say have a sample of personalized stockings made up showcasing the fabrics, embroidery fonts, and thread colors available for choices. It's sometimes not easy for customers to visualize the completed product from a partial. Good Luck! Sounds great!
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Stocking
Old 09-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read this last night and have been thinking about it. I think you should have a few, fully completed stockings, with names, in the variety of fabrics you will have. It will be easier for people to fully visualize a completed stocking. Without the cuff, people might glance at it, think it's odd, and keep walking. Maybe have a sign: Personalized stockings made to order.

Can you, at home, pre-make the bodies of the stockings in a variety of the fabrics so they are ready for the personalized cuff? It would be difficult to determine how many to make ahead.

Have you purchased 3 bolts of fabric?
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

KeyKid
Old 09-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, I bought quite a bit of fabric yesterday. I think I will make up several of varying combinations of stockings and cuffs, take photos (in case they sell) so people can see the possibilities in case they want to order a personalized one. I will also have sample fonts on display. I bought enough to make at least 8 of each type of stocking so I should be good. If no one orders or buys any I have a nice stash for other possibilities.

What I have noticed is that this crafting “disease” just snowballs

Peaches Pears

Old 09-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Taking orders totally changes the business model of craft shows.
Be prepared for complaints, no shows for pick up, more bartering re: prices.
I have done a few shows and I like the "you see it, you buy it" method.

That said, one time I wanted to personalize superhero capes.
It has been a few years but I cut our lots of initials and I used self adhesive velcro to attach once the kids had picked their cape.

If I were you, I would be tempted to make the stockings and then have many initials pre-made. Ideally I would back the letters with Steam-A-Seam and have an iron on hand to permanently fuse in place. If you don't have access to an iron at the show, use the Steam-a-Seam that temporarily fuses (or even pin in place) and include instructions for attaching at home.

A fancy capital letter for an initial will also nicely personalize the stockings.

Once that show is over you aren't going to make more money and it is time to start working on the next batch of money. BUT if you bring work home from that show such as adding cuffs your time will be spent on money you have already earned. (just a thought....I'm sure a marketing major would agree with me but explain it more clearly )

Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

PeachesPears
Old 09-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I so totally understand what you are saying and am starting to feel (for lack of better words) a panic about what to make or not. This is not suppose to be like that— I am doing this for fun. As a matter of fact my logo is SueSews4Fun. So now I am rethinking a lot of it. I think I will make up stockings to sell as is and if anyone inquires about personalization I will deal with that then. I have more than enough fabric to accommodate it if the situation arises.

I have some really pretty snowflake patterns to put on the cuff or the body of stockings that are plain fabric. That can be my “thing” to make them unique.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I am off to sew.

ar719

Old 09-12-2019, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think that all the options- snowflake, some made and some that can be ordered sound great.... It is a new endeavor and hard to know what to do. I think that ordering one that could be personalized would be neat- if the turnaround time/shipping/delivery work for you. Good luck on this adventure!!
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote