Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

To work or not to work?...

>

LRRichardson

To work or not to work?...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:17 PM

Ok, hopefully this is an ok spot to post this...I taught for 7 years before we moved back to our home state. We have now been back two years and I did not teach these two years. I stayed home with my now 3 year old and 11 month old. I always wanted to be able to stay at home with my kids, however, it has been a huge adjustment and I really miss teaching. I feel like there isn't a good option; I stay home and miss teaching, or go to work and miss my kids. Anyway, after reminiscing with friends I applied for a teaching job a couple weeks ago. I basically forgot about it and then today got a call for an interview. I am freaking out! To be honest, the best time for me to go back to teaching would be when my youngest is going to Kindergarten, but I feel like 6 years out of teaching would be too much and I would not get a job. So part of me feels I should call back and cancel the interview and the other part says give it a shot. The school is 30 minutes from my house, so I now worry about the time away from the kids and daycare, etc. On the flip side, I get excited about the idea to work with kids and develop lessons.

So... Does anyone have advice/experience in this situation? What are your thoughts? It is hard for me to talk to friends and family because they all have their set opinions. I am just looking to weigh some pros and cons a bit. Thanks!

LRRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 PM

If you can afford it, stay home with your kids! You can't get those years back.
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Something else to consider....
Old 07-02-2014, 04:25 PM

Being that I am near the end of my career, I am SO glad that I didn't stay home more than a couple of years, when I had my boys, since now Im in good shape to retire when things get too crazy. I bought back as many months as I could, and have the years to retire with full benefits. I have colleagues who have to work until they are well into their late 60s or early 70s. I'm 55, and have my 25 years. Luckily I still love teaching, and am "highly effective." But I'm glad I put in my years when I did, and my sons are independent and well adjusted. We get 15 weeks off a year, and I made all my time with them count. Good luck with your decision. Maybe you can go for the interview and then decide?
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

mes

Old 07-02-2014, 04:28 PM

I was out of teaching for 26 years and went back! Wouldn't trade the time at home with my kids for anything. If you are questioning it then maybe you should wait.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 PM

I don't know if this will be helpful, because it's definitely a decision you have to make for yourself, but I stayed home with the kids when I had them. Then I got two interviews, and I really wanted to go back to work. I went to the interviews, but then realized I just couldn't go back yet. I ended up getting some part time jobs (not education related) that were were in the evening/night so I could keep staying home with my kids. I went back when my youngest (of 3) was in school full-time (preschool immersion program). I had been out of education for 6 years by that time, and out of teaching for 9 (I was in a non-teaching school job for several years before staying home). I was able to get a job right away, but I might have just been lucky. I would not change the time I got to spend with my kids for anything. For me, it was really worth it and I was able to get back into my field and beyond with little difficulty (the transition was tough). The con was definitely the lack of income (hence my night job).

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

new1stgrader

Old 07-02-2014, 04:44 PM

I made the decision to stay home when I was pregnant with my first. He was born at the end of September so I chose not to start the new school year. At first, I only took a leave because I wasn't sure I'd be happy staying home all the time. I had until February to decide and after talking with DH I resigned. Some factors in my decision were that I was teaching at a private school 50 minutes from home so after daycare and gas I wasn't going to be bringing much money home. Staying home is hard, but it is best for our family. I miss teaching from time to time - like the first and last days of school and when I see fun activities on Pinterest that I wish I could do in the classroom. There's so much that I don't miss though! I think I'd like to go back someday, but for right now I'm enjoying the time with my kids. Good luck with your decision!
new1stgrader is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Could you teach part-time?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM

I taught preschool on a part-time basis when my kids were little. I went back to work full-time when my youngest was in second grade.

Sometimes even public schools need part-time teachers. It's something to consider.

However, it wouldn't hurt to go to the interview.
letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote

basketball777

If offered the job it will feel right
Old 07-02-2014, 05:00 PM

I was going to stay home and maybe sub this past yr after a yr off. Then my new teaching job fell into my lap...I was so lucky to get such a great position. Fate took over in that decision. I think you will know if you want it...the interview and situation will feel right. You can always go to this interview for interview practice.... I went to 3 interviews I wasn't that into for practice and the fourth interview just felt right and I wanted that position...I passed up a lot of interview calls too...

From my experience: I don't miss my DD too much while at work since I'm so focused there. However I get slightly sad I miss out on what she's doing throughout the day...
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

I would go to the interview
Old 07-02-2014, 05:12 PM

It won't hurt to go, and then you'll know if you feel like it's the right opportunity or not. I stayed home with all three of mine, working some part time work at home to fill in the income, and I went back to teach preschool when my youngest started at 3. That was the best of both worlds - he was where I was, we had the same hours and schedule, and I got to get back with kids without the stress of a full time teaching job. Perhaps that's an avenue to go down to satisfy both needs!
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 07-02-2014, 05:26 PM

I stayed home with our 3 children. I finished school, had children, then started teaching when the youngest went to K. I would not have missed those years for anything. I saw more than one teacher cry at school because they were missing milestones with their own children, it broke my heart. For me, there was not a moment I wished I had done it differently.

fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

For me...
Old 07-02-2014, 05:44 PM

I stayed home with my daughter until she entered first grade. It was tough financially but I wouldn't trade that time with her for anything in the world.

I agree that the interview experience would be good, and who knows, maybe you will be offered a part time job.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 PM

I worked part time teaching Adult Ed until my youngest was in the 2nd grade. It gave me the chance to stay involved in education and still have plenty of quality time with my 3 children.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Decision
Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 PM

I taught for 5 years, then stayed home for 8 years with my kids, then went back and have been back for 27 years.

Here's something to help you decide what to do: Ask your DH to flip a coin. Heads you go back, tails you stay home. After he flips it, don't look right away. What do you hope it will be?
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

Part time?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:04 PM

I was blessed to teach half day kindergarten when my kids were young. It was the best of both worlds. Can you investigate any part time options? I went back full time when my youngest was in first grade. Honestly, if I wouldn't have gotten divorced in there, I'd still love to be part time. Even with older kids (13 and 15) the balance is so hard.
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

im currently staying home with DS(2)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 PM

And I miss teaching. I also love being with DS. I wish there was a way to do both simultaneously! We made the decision for me to stay home because my private school paid so poorly that after daycare and gas, I would have only brought home $400/month. The job simply was too difficult for that much money.

It was my plan to return when DS could start, but we then moved to a very rural area with a not-so-great school system and the closest private school being an hour away. So now we're discussing homeschooling, which is slightly ridiculous since DS is only two. It is exciting but also makes me sad that I won't be returning to the classroom.

Anyway, I say all that to say, I understand. While I have no answers for you (or myself) I understand the divided heart on the matter. What does your husband want? Does he have an opinion on what would be best for your family?
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 07-02-2014, 06:13 PM

I taught part time when my DS was small and went back full time when he was 2. I worked from 8 to 11:30 every morning. While it meant pinching pennies, it was the right decision.
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

lucydoodle

Just a thought
Old 07-02-2014, 06:16 PM

I retired last summer at the age of 54 after 31 years in the classroom and loving it.
I have several friends who for whatever are ready to leave education but see no retirement date in sight.

I suggest you go to the interview, and make a list of pros and cons to guide your decision.

Best wishes!
lucydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Would you have to take classes to renew
Old 07-02-2014, 06:23 PM

Your teaching credentials before your youngest goes to school? Could you afford to do it if you were not working. Does your DH have a secure job as far as you know? Are you able to save any money if you are not working? Do you have insurance for the entire family when you are not working? How many years would you need to work in all before your retirement would be vested? The answers to these questions would factor into my decision.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Go to the interview and see how you feel about it afterwards. If you don't feel absolutely excited about it, don't take the job and stay home with your kids for at least another year. If you don't go back keep in mind that you don't have to stay out until your youngest is in K should you change your mind.

An excellent point too was made about retirement. Finally I never had an option to stay home though I would have loved to. However now that things are a mess in the school system and DD is having problems and needs me (she is 14) I am so grateful I had my 30 years in when I needed to retire. I am also happy I was able to do that at the age of 54!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Seera22

Seera22

Answer
Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Stay home if you can afford it, teach your own kids. I did it for 4 years and have no regrets! Now I am back to work and miss my kids like crazy

Carolyn

Old 07-03-2014, 03:33 AM

My kids are grown up now, and I'd give almost anything to have a rewind of my life to spend time with them as kids. If you can afford it, spend time at home with your little ones! They will be grown up before you know it--trust me I know!--and then you can return to teaching. 🍼
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Snicklesnack

Working
Old 07-03-2014, 03:45 AM

I worked in a daycare when my kids were little. It was perfect for us! I was able to stay current in the field, and my kids were right there with me. When they went to elementary school, so did I. Being a stay at home mom isn't right for every family....You have to figure out what works for you and do that.
Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

work or not?
Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 AM

I'm going to weigh in on staying at home if you can. You sound like an intelligent person; think of what you can do with your youngest during the next four years! Think about the field trips, the learning to cook, the sensory experiences, trips to the library and learning to love books...teaching the way teaching is supposed to be. If you can afford it, put your all into being your child's first full-time teacher. It's a short amount of time and far more important than jumping through the hoops and stressing yourself out as a teacher to everyone else's kids. There will be time for that when he's in regular school.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

working
Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 AM

Much has changed in the educational world. Looking at it from the outside is much different that living it. Please think long and hard about the paperwork, some nights away, committee work, etc. needed. Perhaps go on the interview and see who you might be working for. Just reading the posts on the VENT board about some of the crazy administrators out there make me grateful for the one I have.

If you have the financial means to stay home with your children, please do--you won't get those days back. I watch these young moms and wonder how they do it all. I was fortunate enough to work part-time when I had #2 after working full time with #1. My income and benefits were needed. I enjoy teaching still but if I knew I could afford to be home with my children I'd much rather my children be with me. There is time when they are older for you to go back. On the flip side, perhaps there might be a part time position of some sort that you might be qualified for.

Just my 2 cents
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

LRRichardson

Thanks for your thoughts...
Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 AM

I can't even express how thankful I am for all of your opinions and advice. This really isn't an easy decision. Financially, our family is set with me staying at home. We have insurance and live comfortably. My reasons for wanting to go back do not stem from financial reasons. I love the feeling of being challenged mentally and also just love doing what I feel I was meant to do. I have always held a job since I was 14 years old and maybe the idea of working is just part of my personality. However, I have to keep my family in mind and with travel and daycare, working may not be the best option. My husband said I need to do what feels right for me, but as you all know that is not easy to figure out! going back to work would most likely cause some stress and who needs unneeded stress? So anyway, thanks so much for helping me compile a mental list of pros and cons!
LRRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 AM

I'm going to chime in late on this one.

Like others, I found that part time was a pretty viable option. The downside for me was that a lot of the part time openings were overflow positions. They were non-continuing and sometimes didn't start until well into the school year.

Despite some yearly uncertainty, I was able to get a job most years and sub selectively (for people I had worked with at various schools) on years I didn't.

IMO, I ended up with kind of the perfect work situation - although it was sometimes hard to trust it would.

I taught in my 20's, stayed home full time in my 30's, worked part time in my 40's, back to work full time in my 50's and will retire in my early 60's. I was able to be home with my kids, but they've also seen me as a career person.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Stay at home mom
Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM

for 20 years. I subbed some during that time. I am in my late 60s still working and I love it! I really do.

I never juggled much. I feel my life has been full of passions, one at a time.

I actually could retire but I don't feel ready. I love to work. I loved staying home.
CricketSong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 PM

If you feel like you need to work because you enjoy it, why not build up an awesome Teachers Pay Teachers portfolio? You could create lessons to your heart's content, make a little side money, be home with your children with a massively flexible schedule and have tons of lessons ready for you when you do reenter the classroom when your kids are older.
0123456 is offline   Reply With Quote