The VENT

Nitpicked & Micromanaged

>

more2life

more2life

Nitpicked & Micromanaged
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There's more to life than being nitpicked & micromanaged. Feels good to type that! Even if it is signed out!

Seussical

Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It baffles me that administrators hire us based on our education, personality, grades, experience, examples, portofolios, etc. They observe us once to many times a year--and still they think they have to micromanage us--when was the last time they were in the classroom for an extended amount of time--say several months, teaching these children under their own micromanaging rules and procedures? Really?????
You hired us--let us do what we really do know is best--
Seussical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tish58

Hard to argue...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's hard to argue with your logic. I've always believed that admins should rotate back into a classroom for a year, after 3 years in an admin position. It would definitely change their perspectives. I'm so tired of hearing, "when I taught...."....knowing that was 25 years ago....or maybe only for 3-4 years of experience in the classroom. UGH!
Tish58 is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To add to Tish58's thoughts, I think administrators and supervisors should have teaching experience in the grades that they are in charge of. I am so weary of trying to explain Writer's Workshop in first grade to administrators who only taught in upper middle school. Our entire administration and supervisor staff consists of only people who taught upper middle school or taught a special area like phys. ed. There is a lack of understanding of what really needs to be taught in the early childhood years. Ugh!
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Doodlepop

Or at least have experience...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've had administrators that haven't even had classroom experience! They come in from a speech background, or OT background, and have never dealt with a full load of kiddos for a full year. Watching them come in early in the year and try to connect with the group as a group or even lead assemblies can be painful. :/

Doodlepop is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

They need to listen to others who have special content/area knowledge. It would be impossible for a principal, let alone anyone to have all the area knowledge. They need to treat teaches as knowledgeable experts in their field, literacy, math, arts, special education, workshop models, gifted & talented. Most administrators do not see their staff as capable experts, but only as assembly line workers. Of course with the sheer amount of testing, administrators are afraid for their jobs and micro-managing.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Education professors are clueless, too
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm lucky that we have a good administration at my school site, but when I was taking eduction classes, I had only a very few professors who were either teaching in public school at the same time or had been in the classroom within 5 years. They were the best. The ones who hadn't seen the inside of a classroom for 20+ years were clueless. I think administrators should be required to have classroom experience and also to rotate back into the classroom after 5-7 years. Of course, they would have to take a pay reduction, so I don't know how that would work. I also don't think people should be working in the district office their whole careers, either, but should rotate back to the classrooms. That will never happen.
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

edugal

Agree, Trish
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Administrators should be required to "re-certify" every five or so years, just as teachers do, with the added requirement that they must spend a full year as a classroom teacher. I can just imagine our P, who hasn't taught in maybe 25 years, returning to the classroom. I'd like to see him manage all the current ed trends.
edugal is offline   Reply With Quote

kcallas88

Agreed!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm so glad im not alone in feeling this.

I'm so micromanaged. The administration is in my room all the time , and every time with something else that I am doing wrong.

My principal...well i strongly doubt he has ever been in the classroom. He's smaller then me, and I'm only 5'1". Every time they nit pick, I just want to say, "well, here is my lesson plan. Let me see you teach a class of 17 students, where 12 students are ED and 14 are ADHD."

pssh...so glad this year is almost over.
kcallas88 is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I feel bad for you as I cannot imagine a helicopter principal! I also appreciate my administration all the more having read this.

rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Tish58
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My philosophy is definitely the same!
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

ladybug19

Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have walk thrus all the time, but the teachers that make the admin upset can get as many as 15 in a day. My sister that teaches at another building where they have to get their small group activities approved each week and it is checked on the walk thrus. It can drive you insane.
ladybug19 is offline   Reply With Quote