Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Is there anyone not bothered by tags?

>

wildflowerz

Is there anyone not bothered by tags?
Old 03-01-2021, 08:20 PM

Are you bothered by tags in clothing, scratchy wool, or seams in socks? I think being bothered by those things is very common.

Admittedly, I have sensory issues. I donít like noise, chewing sounds, loud television, or listening to a lot of music. I donít like strong odors/scents. My sister is the same. She thinks we have a sensory processing disorder. I donít. I think we are sensory sensitive.

BUT being sensitive to scratchy tags, wool, and seams in socks seems reasonable.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-01-2021, 08:28 PM

There's a wide range of sensory issues that may or may not bother people. I'm bothered by some of the things you mention (and some you didn't mention), and I can definitely get overstimulated by too much in my environment.

There is debate over whether "sensory processing disorder" is a real thing in and of itself (versus sensory issues as part of a larger diagnosis). This gives a little information about that debate: https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ering-opinions

It's not uncommon for people to have sensory differences in at least one or more ways, but if the sensory issues are creating problems in how they can function in the world, it needs to be addressed in some way. Many of us compensate for our sensory differences (e.g., by avoiding sensations that are too much or seeking out other sensations), but sometimes someone needs help coping (especially when younger).
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-01-2021, 08:29 PM

I almost never am bothered by tags. Every great once in awhile there is a piece of clothing where for whatever reason, it rubs me the wrong way and is noticeable. I've probably cut out less than 10 tags in my entire life. I can't say I've never noticed seams in socks either. However, I've never liked wool clothing.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tags
Old 03-01-2021, 08:31 PM

YES!!!!!!!! I cut out the tags of many shirts and blouses, and a few pairs of pants.

I love how more and more companies are going to a printed tag on the fabric.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 03-01-2021, 08:36 PM

Sometimes. I have a spot just below the back of my neck which is scarred skin from burns, and it gets irritated every now and then. Sometimes when tags or necklines rub against it, it is very uncomfortable.

I think I am a bit sensory in that I don't like constricting clothes. Turtlenecks make me feel like I'm choking, lol.

Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 PM

There are very few tags that have bothered me. Seams in socks do not bother me. I am more sensitive to smells.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-01-2021, 09:07 PM

Tags rarely bother me, but like Keltikmom, I prefer just stamped fabric. However, I do hate Lululemon’s 6 mile long tags (what is that?) and the 3-layer ones that are sometimes sewn in at the hip and make me look like a lopsided whale.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

hyper sensitive back and neck
Old 03-01-2021, 09:14 PM

The rest of my body not at all. I use special soap, lotions, clothing and threads of clothing because I get rashes and I itch underneath my skin on my my back if I come in contact with an irritant.

I'm sure many of you however are bothered by the bra hooks or tags. They are the worst. Some metal fasteners for bathing suits or bras are HORRIBLE quality now that they are imported from who knows where.
luvtulearn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 03-02-2021, 02:28 AM

Tags donít bother me, but the stamped/printed labels are a nightmare, and I canít cut them out. Within 30 minutes of putting one on, I am an itchy, hivey, allergic mess. I guess itís the ink. I iron a piece of interfacing over any of those that come my way.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 03-02-2021, 04:46 AM

Tags and seams in socks can be a problem for me. I’ve tried to find true seamless socks for a while. No luck on ones that don’t drive me nuts.

I truly think that am sensory sensitive — although both of my adult kids were diagnosed with Sensory Integration Disorder — now known as SPD. I still remember having to cut the toes out of my dd’s socks when she was in kindergarten. She had so many sensitivities — that were making her obsessive. We finally went to her doc — who pointed us to an OT to treat it.

IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Yes.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:03 AM

Tags occasionally bother me. I hate trying on clothes when the price tags are attached. Of all my current tops, Iíve only had to remove the tags on about 3 of them.

I remember the seam in socks bothering me a lot as a kid, but not since then.

Iím very sensitive to noise. Blaring loud TV, especially commercials or childrenís programs make my teeth itch. When Iím near someone in an enclosed space who is on the phone and talking loudly I need to escape. My husband is a loud, nonstop talker who works from home, so I had to invest in noise cancellation headphones to cope.

I donít know if my dislikes for certain sounds is a disorder. I can leave the room and feel immediate relief. If I canít escape the noise the worst case scenario is getting a headache.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 03-02-2021, 07:06 AM

Tags sometimes but not usually.

Wool - yes! I love wool sweaters and have many but I always wear a thin cotton long sleeve shirt/liner underneath. If I donít (like only wear a camisole or tank top) I get red, irritated, almost hive like on my chest and back. My arms wouldnít be red but Iíd just be itchy and very comfortable. Itís the same with sweatshirts (I donít get red or itchy, it just feels strange); I always wear a t-shirt or tank top underneath. I feel weird if not
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

I don't like tags
Old 03-02-2021, 07:30 AM

and I'm super sensitive to feel of clothing so I mostly just wear the same brand shirts all the time.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Some
Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 AM

Most tags do not bother me. Clothes that have 3 inches of info on it does bother me. Why so much information?

When DS was a baby (so many years ago) he would fuss that the ďlinesĒon his socks would hurt. So most of his socks were worn inside out. We could not find seamless socks at the time.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 03-02-2021, 08:33 AM

Yes!!!!!! Not all tags, but some!

Sock seams on the other hand...Grrr! My DD gave me some super warm fuzzy socks for Christmas. The seam was HUGE!!!! It was keeping me up at night when I wore them! Turning them inside out is the perfect solution!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Anti-tags, fabric OR stamped
Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 AM

I often find that the tags are OK when the clothes are new, but after they have been washed and dried a number of times the fabric gets stiff and I have to cut them out. And WHY do they use that horrible, stiff "PLASTIC" thread. (It's likely really clear nylon, but it's stiff.)

And while we're griping, I do NOT like the stamped on "tags" either. The feel is of. But many of them eventually peel off. My real objection in that they alter the appearance of the material so it doesn't drape normally and it can often be seen through a light colored fabric.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

sensitivity
Old 03-02-2021, 10:26 AM

I am with TAOEP all the way on sensitivity of tags: the stiffness of the tags after a few washings, the stiff nylon thread, the stamped-on tags in some clothes.

Lately I have become hyper sensitive to the throbbing background music on news broadcasts like NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt. Even some of my local stations have started doing this. Are they trying to make the segments more suspenseful? Do they think we have to have constant background stimulation?
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-02-2021, 11:22 AM

I donít like collars, hoods, turtlenecks, socks with toe seams, or anything with tight sleeves.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Tags
Old 03-02-2021, 03:12 PM

I cut the tags off all of my sweaters and light jackets.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 03-02-2021, 04:49 PM

Yes, but not so much with tags but just feeling my clothes in general. Yet I don't like to be naked either. I like to be covered but need my clothing to fit loosely. I can not wear leggings or yoga pants because I can feel them.

I am very sensitive to noise. Chewing and swallowing sounds can send me over the edge. Bars and restaurants can be challenging because of all the different noises and types of noises in one room.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 03-02-2021, 06:02 PM

I tear tags out from everything I wear. Most wool is itchy - I love it, but need another layer under it. I can't stand fabric close on my neck - no turtlenecks, mock necks or crew necks. I Love V-necks; they look better on me as well as feel better. I need to find a way to change those speciality T-shirts to V-necks!

Sounds of chewing, slurping, and swallowing bother me. I hate it when DH has a snack by the TV. He can not eat quietly. . . .and now that kids are eating lunch in the classroom, I need to play music. Or maybe I could use earplugs.
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-02-2021, 06:07 PM

I guess I never answered the specific questions you asked- many tags bug me, hate scratchy wool, and seams in socks that don't fall in the right place (mostly flat seams should fall in a certain place to be "ok"). I also hate chewing sounds, loud TV, too much noice/competing noise, and strong odors.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote