The VENT

What every teacher would like to tell parents

>

DVR

DVR

What every teacher would like to tell parents
Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you could be as honest as possible, without any negative consequences, what is something you would like to tell parents?

Brassy125

I would tell parents:
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. You are the parent, not the friend...not the minion...but the parent...so be a parent.
2. kids need bedtimes.
3. kids need mac-n-cheese nights...they need to eat at a table, with their family, and help clear the table and do the dishes afterwards. They shouldnt be shuffled off to relatives, or chipotle every night of the week.
4.When we ask you to sign the planner every night, we are not only wanting you to see what the assignments were, but also needing you to CHECK to be sure the work was done correctly..and yes, this may mean that you have to help your child with a concept or two.
5. Put down your cell phone, and talk with your child. Laugh with your child. Share funny stories with your child. Share your dreams, hopes and fears with your child. Share your questions with your child.
Brassy125 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your child just wants someone to love them/pay attention to them once in awhile!
MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kendall

Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"You emailed me about your child getting a 60 on a cold read and you are concerned that this changed her grade point average greatly. I'm not sure what you want me to do about this as your child was the one who took the test and she didn't go back and search for answers that were in the text (even after being reminded to do so). So WHAT do you want me to do? It "is what it is!" Your child is not an All A student, although I know you want that for bragging rights. She has a B (still good)- she needs to learn that there will be lower grades for little effort."
Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
1. You are the parent, not the friend...not the minion...but the parent...so be a parent.
I did tell a "parent" that once - her child kept falling asleep during class - she told me she stayed up playing video games on the TV in her room. When I talked to "mom" she said she couldn't make her go to sleep. I said, "Take the TV out of her room." The response? "I can't do that, she'll be mad." Seriously? That's when I told her that SHE was the parent and needed to act like one. (my principal knows I have no filter... )

fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Half of them: It's okay for your child not to be perfect! Please don't crush your precious angel with the stress of the impossible. Let them grow, laugh, and enjoy being a child. They are such wonderful, special people. Your guidance has been such a benefit....now let's see how they can fly!

The other half: I don't expect you kid to be perfect, but I do expect him/ her to put forth effort to grow and learn. Those consquences are not because I get my jollies by torturing your child. The consequences are a tool to help them learn and grow when they are unable to do it otherwise.
janeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Brassy125
Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Well said.

I would add:
6. Put your kid to bed at 8:00 every night, even if it's still daylight and not when they want to go.

7. Pay attention to what they are doing, not just shuffle them off to the next activity on your busy calendar, and please limit them to one activity or sport.

8. Teach them they are not owed anything in this world.

9. It would also be nice if you would practice flash cards and spelling words with your child, not just look for a DS game or computer program to do it for you.
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, your ##### DOES smell, and your child DOES NOT poop glitter.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

bookgeek
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hilarious and so true!!!
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

curlygirl2

Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Please don't defend your child's actions without even hearing me out...

"Not my child!" I have heard it time and time again and would I lie to you? Believe it, children can and do often make mistakes and bad choices... let's deal with it!

curlygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 04-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have many great parents....but for some:

"I can't care more about your child than you do." I have a few students who come from completely horrible home lives. They can't focus or stay awake in school and it is no wonder. It is nice to think that DCS would take care of families like this, but in my community there are just too many other worries to worry about neglect. My heart breaks for some of my students and I am honestly at the point where I don't really know what else I can do for them. I will keep trying, but sometimes I just wish I could take them home with me, show them some love, show them some discipline, and help them become responsible, productive members of society. I know they have it in them...but they will never reach their true potential living in the environments they live in.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
heresmine

heresmine

Get ready...
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Your kid is a BRAT!

steach

Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Do YOUR job!!!!!!!!!!!!
steach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Here's some brief notes to many of the parents in my room. Some apply to more than one.

Stop lying to me everytime I talk to you about what your child can do at home and what you do with her. I don't believe she wrote her numbers to 100, she can't count to 25. You never help her complete the assigned homework and you never check her folder. There are papers in there from February!!

Please don't tell us how we should run the school or cafeteria. This is your first child in Kindergarten. We have been doing this for a while. Your child will adjust fine if you allow them to.

Even if your child can do it at home, she/he still needs to do it in front of me. I can't grade what is done at home with you.

I am not a grocery store. Please send a snack with your child every day or he/she will be sad. And stop bringing snack by in the middle of the day. I don't have time to go to the office and get it and neither does your child. He can't afford to miss any more class time.

And last, but not least, thank you for sending in things every week that we can use in our classroom. I know you have your hands full with twin infants and 2 other children plus a full time job. But you keep giving what you have and you make time for your child. Your effort shows. She is the best reader in my class.
Thanks for responding to every request for help with a yes and do you need anything further? It's parents like the three of you that make my job easier. And just being around your children shows me that they are growing up to be responsible caring individuals as well.

And to last year's parents who wanted to know what they could do about their child's continuous misbehavior: A good pop on the rear could solve some of these issues. I couldn't tell you that but I really wanted to. He needs a swat and some real consequences.

Last edited by Mrs. S.; 04-16-2012 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: addition
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

calecolts1

love the "poops glitter"
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

that cracks me up.
I would love to say..... please remove your child from my room and send the little darling to another teacher, I obviously have rules and expectations that don't match yours. No problem just get your kids out of here now, please.

Wouldn't be great if WE could say we don't want a certain kid in our class the way parents say they don't want us as their kid's teacher????
calecolts1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Ideas
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Get off the friggin' cell phone and TALK to your child.
How about sitting down with your child at a meal? Preferably not at the fast-food joint.
Try drinking water instead of beer at night (you, not the kid, although sometimes I wonder).
Get over the fact that your child is not perfect and needs help addressing some issues.
Share a book with your child.
Buying stuff for your child does not compensate for not spending time with him/her.
Your child does not need to play three sports in one day. Pick one sport and ditch the rest.
Older kids benefit from a regular schedule, too.

I'm sure I could think of more, but I gotta go to bed so I'm ready for the munchkins tomorrow.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

CurlieGirl

it's true..
Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My world cannot revolve around YOUR child...I have two of my own and it doesn't revolve around THEM either.
CurlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

txmagistra

I would say...
Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

"Why does your almost third grade child need to pee every hour?"
"I know who is in charge at your house, but in my classroom, I am in charge, not the child."
"When your child falls asleep in class, please don't tell me 'I have no idea why. She went to bed at 8:00'".
"No, I don't pick on your child."
"No, I'm not going to call you every time your child gets their clip changed."
"Actually, yes, your child is a liar."
"Please don't forget to bring her asthma medicine, pay for her lunch, study with her, and hug her once in a while."
txmagistra is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Your child is not learning anything because he does not CARE if he does not learn anything.

Hmmmmmm....wonder who he picked up that attitude from?
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Here's mine
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

• Give me a WORKING cell phone number to call. If there is an emergency, we cannot get in touch with you.
  • Clean out your child's folder daily.
  • Please talk to me if there is a problem. The principal is busy. We can handle it ourselves.
  • Please don't ask me how I discipline the other children. I won't tell you, besides YOUR child is the one in trouble.
  • If you bring cupcakes, please remember we have 25 students. You can't buy 24, or your child will go without.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

I wish I could say...
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I can't do my job as a teacher effectively unless you do your job as a parent. SO GET OFF YOUR A$$ and PARENT!!!!
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

teachermom5

I would like to say...
Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I would like to say, "PLEASE Spank your child because I'm not allowed to do it, and he/she terribly needs it!"

I would like to say, "You are a bad parent! You never help your child, never send in any supplies, never read with her, never discipline him, you have taught your darling that they are the center of the world making it difficult on our whole class, and the only time you show up at school is when something happens that you don't like! You just stink as a parent!"

And sometimes I would like to say, "Well, I see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!"
teachermom5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

What do you want?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I have one parent who I just want to say "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" Her daughter qualifies for LD...refuses services. Her daughter qualifies for ELL (adopted)...refuses services. Her daughter is extremely low. Mom mixed no words at meet the teacher night that I was not to implement any accommodations or modifications for her daughter. I have contacted mom a few times, asking if she wanted me to do this or this to help her daughter (accommodations) and I expressed how I really think it would help. Mom refused. Yet, mom checks grades periodically...normally she accepts low grades as "that's just her daughter". However, one time she asked if her daughter could do extra credit and redo some assignments. Like Really? WHAT DO YOU WANT? You don't want any accommodations at all, but you want her to redo things and do extra credit? Oh, and another time she did ask if I could shorten something for her daughter...I'm fine with doing things if they will help her daughter. However, I just don't the get the "No, no, no, no, no, no, yes, no, no, no, could you do this?" type thing with accommodations...to me, either you want them or you don't!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

chickpea

I would tell
Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

parents that many of their children's academic problems could be solved if they would put in some effort especially when their children are under five years old.

From at least ages 0-5, I would tell parents to turn off the TV (and really most electronic devices) and read to their children, interact on a regular basis.

For all ages I would tell them to set limits and enforce them. Have healthy dinners together and spend time doing (not watching) things together.
chickpea is offline   Reply With Quote

klh2

If you want your child to have
Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

an A on his/her report card - both you and your child need to put in the work. I can certainly change the grade to an A, but are I am more concerned about what your child has/hasn't learned than his grade.

We are both in this together. You do your job. and I will do mine; your child will be successful.
klh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ladybug19

Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

fish2
I had the same conversation with a father about a son that would stay up all night.
ladybug19 is offline   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Dear Parent,

Congratulations. Your teenager has trained you well.

I hope you continue to find their lack of responsibility, smart mouth, and man-i-didn'-do-nuthin attitude acceptable when they're 30 and still mooching off you.

Enjoy your old age. I for one am relieved I won't be relying on your man-child to take care of me.
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

dear parent
Old 04-17-2012, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

-everyone's day is much better without your child there
-no, your child doesn't do any work...that's why they are failing
-your child really earned a 13%, but I have to give him 50%
-why do I waste my time calling you?
-stop bribing your child to be good...it doesn't work and you're still giving them the treat
-I love that you're so involved, but your child won't get an A just because you bug me.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

mlk56

Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

BITE ME!!!!!
mlk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
only 9 more

only 9 more

Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

-I have 30 kids that I need to keep track of and help. How come you can't handle 1.
-I'm doing the best I can and all I ask is the same from you.
-I don't ridicule and degrade your child for every mistake that they make, so please don't do that to me.
-On that note I don't call you and report every mistake your child makes to you, so don't do that to my principal.
-Your child isn't being bullied. They are being over sensitive.

**this one could be for parents, admins, and law makers.
-I am a teacher not a magician or a superhero. I can only do the best I can with what I am given.
==

==

Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I recognize that your child began as an infant who could not hold up his head, and in comparison, you're right. He's doing great, growing and thriving.

However, as compared to the 18 typically developing 6 year olds in the class, and as compared to the 3 others with moderate-severe IEPs, your child is NOT on track. He is not reading at the level of his typically-developing peers. He is not working with numbers with the correct level of understanding. He is not behaving the way other kids do. I'm not against him. I'm not after him. I am doing everything I can to give him extra help. I am the *only* adult in the room, and he is already receiving *more* help than the other kids, *more* small group time, *more* praise/consequences, *more* preferred seating, so it's not just that he 'needs more help from me.' The typically-developing kids are getting *less* than him and are growing faster.

Please recognize that we are using different yardsticks to measure your child. I'm doing my darndest to look at your yardstick and to view your child's growth and praise him for it. If you don't start looking at my yardstick, your kid is going to be standing at the gate while the rest of the kids are tall enough to ride the roller coaster!
----------------------------------------------------
And for the love of Pete, do you think maybe you could stop your child from talking back to you at home? Kids who aren't allowed to talk back at home don't just *start* doing it daily at school. He argues with me after every single direction, from "Push in your chair and line up" ("But I just want to finish!") to "A says aaaaah" ("Eeeeh. Eeeeeh."). You have just one kid to manage. I have 22. A "no" every once in a while could really save him some heartache. You better believe I'm short with your kid--I don't have time to explain every direction to him individually AFTER I've explained it to the whole group and then bargain to get him to do it. Push in the darn chair and LINE THE HECK UP!

kristabel

Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Teach your child to be accountable for his or her choices and actions. Stop relying on the school to pick up your slack. Society will not be so kind. Jail will be the natural consequence for the choices and actions of some of these kids.

Don't ignore the school's calls for meetings and then rush out when you file SSI.
kristabel is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

Johnny's shirt is on inside out again.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Please get out of bed and help your 8 year old get ready for school. He's really too young to be expected to do it all by himself.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

ccr2010

Mlk
Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Bite me! lol! I would love to say that!
ccr2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

loriamber

Yes- i agree!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Your child is not bored, tired, or needs more choices-your child is a BRAT & you need to stop making excuses for the bad behavior. Tell your child to STOP talking back, listen to the teacher, follow directions given quickly and have some respect for others!
If that happens I can do my job and actually teach and they can learn. NO- Your child does NOT need ANOTHER BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT PLAN where I am giving rewards or writing endless notes and journals home-your child needs to STOP IT and try his/her best!
Thank you for your time Mr. & Mrs. ----- have a nice day!
Your child's exhausted Teacher
loriamber is offline   Reply With Quote

FabuMom

Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

* Give your child his medicine! He needs it to learn!
* Your child is LAZY!
* If you know your child is ADHD, but you don't want to give him medicine, then you need to homeschool him! Oh, but wait, you don't want him at home either....
* If my own kids don't talk that way to me, your kid certainly will not talk to me that way!
* You can't take care of the 3 kids you have. Quit getting pregnant!
*Just because he is the "baby" at home doesn't mean he can act like a baby in class.
FabuMom is offline   Reply With Quote

doxiemom24

Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Your child is not the most specialist snowflake.
doxiemom24 is offline   Reply With Quote

ESDTeacher98

honest
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

You live at your Mom's with 5 kids and no job. You don't pay my salary, I pay yours.
ESDTeacher98 is offline   Reply With Quote

elmolisa

love the PP's comment!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I have better things to do with my time than pick on your little angel.
elmolisa is offline   Reply With Quote

bmcgee81

My personal favorite is...
Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Your child has hit rock bottom...and started digging!!!
bmcgee81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kaylu

I love
Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Actually, yes, your child is a liar. That cracked me up.

Here are mine:
Your child is the ONLY problem in my classroom.
Yes, when they do poorly, it WILL affect their grade (DUH!)
Your child is lazy.
Your child is rude, obnoxious, and acts like a 3 year old.
Teach your child that their shirt is NOT a kleenex (GAG!). And for goodness sakes, IT IS NOT ALLERGIES! Take them to the doctor!
The only reason they have the grade they have is because I do every single thing with them.
Yes, you do have a bright child, but that does not make him God's gift to the universe.
Get over yourself and realize your child's welfare is more important than your own.

Wow...that made me feel better.
Kaylu is offline   Reply With Quote

NaturalBornEd

Well, since you asked...
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I would LOVE to tell a few of my "lovely" parents the following:

- Don't you think I have better things to do with my time besides "pick on" your baby?!

- No, I will not give your son multiple chances when it comes to misbehavior. If everyone else has to follow the rules, so does he!

- I don't know how she talks to you at home, but in this room, disrespect will not be tolerated! Here I'm the boss, what I say goes, and no I won't apologize if that offends you!

- Do you like discussing your job outside of work?! Well neither do I, so STOP running me down at the grocery store, church, or when I'm out with my family on my personal time to discuss your child's progress!

- I know you won't believe this, but yes I do have a family and life of my own that doesn't revolve around school!

- No, your son cannot make up that assignment because he should have done it the first time around when he was sleeping, talking, and/or texting during my class!

- Your daughter is failing because she refuses to do any work! All I can do is teach, but I can't force her to learn if she doesn't want to. If she wants the grade, she will have to put forth some effort!

- Will you please start requiring your son to clean up at home? I'm sick of him trashing my classroom everyday and leaving the mess behind for me! Newsflash, I'm not his maid, and you shouldn't be either!

- This is not Burger King and you're not a customer, so you can't have it your way, and no you're not always right!

- Stop being lazy and help your daughter with her homework! She's only with me for 50 minutes a day in a class full of other students...I CAN'T DO IT ALL!

I'm sure there are more, but these are usually my first thoughts when dealing with my parents! UGH!!!
NaturalBornEd is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

success or failure . . . you decide
Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

There are a few things that I would love to say (ask) to most of my parents from low SES schools:

1) There is only one thing that separates successful people from unsuccessful people. . . .
successful people do what it takes to get there.. . . . Unsuccessful people don't. They make excuses. Now let's ALL commit to things your student will actually DO to get him there.

2) Don't you want better for your child than what you yourself had? Do you want your child to be more successful than you are? What kind of job did your parents do with you? Do you want to follow in their footsteps or do you want to be a better parent than they were?

Maybe this should be scripted like our lessons are scripted. Haha
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachChicago

Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

A "C" is not a bad grade - it means that your child is performing at grade level. Please don't stress out your child by demanding that he or she gets straight A's.
TeachChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

2sankofa

Old 05-10-2012, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I would like to direct this to 1 particular parent:

Be a parent and accept the responsibility that you are the reason why your child could careless about anything. You are the reason why your child will fail this grade because you keep making excuses. You are the reason why your son was arrested in front of his classmates. And your the one that keeps blaming the school for your home problems . DO YOUR JOB!

My other parent:
It is not my assistant principal's job nor mine to wash your son's clothes every week. Also- why is it my job to teach your child how to bathe himself? If you don't want to be a parent, then please allow his father's the job since he wanted custody and you didn't.

If only I could say what is on my mind.
2sankofa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rubyslippers

Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

*loud and sassy is for movies and TV, NOT cute in real life and it doesn't make your child "special, it just makes her obnoxious and annoying!

* quit tattling to the principal everytime your kid has a problem. Saying "I didn't mean to get you in trouble" is BS! Otherwise, WHY did you go to the principal???

* I am been teaching longer than you have even been alive, so I KNOW and ADHD child when I see one.

* I know when you are telling me a lie. I know when you are 2 faced and I know you have no respect for me. You aren't fooling anyone.
Rubyslippers is offline   Reply With Quote

MythBuster

Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Yes your child has a severe disability, that's why they are in my class!

Their misbehavior is not cute. Our society will not forgive your 150 pound child for beating another person into a coma. The word "no" should be in your vocabulary.

The appropriate response when your child has scratched and/or bitten me to the point of blood being drawn is not "I want a staffing because your not following the IEP" It should be an apology.
MythBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

wuwt

Stop breeding!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I would like to tell a lot of the mothers in our district, "What the hell is wrong with you! NO it is not ok to drink OR do drugs while you are pregnant! Have your self fixed"
wuwt is offline   Reply With Quote

tgunn

These are great!!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I would love to tell some of my parents to CUT THE CORD!!!! They are not babies but you are treating them like they are still attached.

Tara
tgunn is offline   Reply With Quote

teachcarolina

Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

Your child doesn't run my class and neither do you! I am not compromising the learning rights of 25 other students for the "rights" of your child.
teachcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote

tteacher

Do your job
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

1. Get off the crack pipe and buy school supplies for your child.

2. I will not rearrange my classroom because your child hit their head on the table. If your child had not been rolling on the floor trying to kick people, they would not have hit their head.

3. Get your child to school on time and pick them up on time!

4. I don't bargain, plead, or beg your child to behave. You shouldn't either.

5. I don't care that you don't like me.

6. Yes, I am a "mean" teacher. Thank you for the compliment.
tteacher is offline   Reply With Quote