Another one of my babies is all grown up! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Another one of my babies is all grown up!

>

Ima Spedtcher

Another one of my babies is all grown up!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:52 AM

I know everyone tells you this when you have a baby, but man it is seriously fast!

My oldest is now 24, married and half a world away. (I am seriously proud of her that she made such a major move, but am ready for her to return).

My first baby boy turned 18 this February. It feels like yesterday that I was ready to volunteer to commit myself to life in a mental health facility because the kid spent the first year of his life screaming at the top of his lungs (and managed to get even louder if placed in a car seat).

Once he stopped screaming, he didn’t say a word. Seriously, the kid did not say a word which lead to more sleepless nights before he said his first words at the age of 3.5 years, when he said, “we need an umbrella because it’s raining outside”.

Once he stopped screaming, started talking we STILL didn’t stop worrying. He is a quirky kid. So we worried if he had friends, if he was getting picked on, should we get him a diagnosis..........Well I am proud to say that we managed to get him to 18 years old without breaking him (there may be a few cracks though). He will be graduating this year with a diploma of biliteracy. He is fluent in two languages, has friends, is still quirky, and can now get apps from the App Store without asking for permission! What more can a parent want? (I know what he wants though, He wants a girlfriend. Poor kid. He is 18, in the age of covid, with only 3 girls in his class, and he is quirky)

Now hoping we can survive the next 2.5 years until #3 reaches the age of 18. He is eligible for a drivers permit next week, and has already had girlfriends (he is a whole other type of sleepless nights)

I remember when parents with kids my age were old, isn’t it weird how that changes?

Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-28-2021, 12:05 PM

What a wonderful piece of writing. Thank you.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-28-2021, 12:18 PM

I love your story! And it gave me a lift because my 2.5 year old grandson has a speech delay, and I've spent a lot of time worrying about him. He is getting speech therapy, but it's over Zoom so not the best situation. Anyway, he is very smart and I really feel one day he will just spit out a complete sentence, so your story made me smile and made me feel better. My son is going to be 36 soon, and wow the years do fly by!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 02-28-2021, 01:33 PM

I loved reading this. I, too, cannot believe how fast time goes. I have one who is married, a dad and has a great career. And he was the one I was most concerned about growing up because he was so quiet.
My other one will be the death of me. So much potential, but struggles with life. Brilliant, beautiful, creative but going no where.

Your children sound fabulous.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-28-2021, 01:49 PM

Kids. They get us one way or another. The years do go fast, too. I can't believe my baby (she is my oldest) will be 30 this year. That is totally insane to me. I can still feel her little body nestled up to me as a baby. Sigh.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 02-28-2021, 04:17 PM

I could have written your post! Add in a significant learning disability and not sleeping until he was nearly 5. I was never brave enough to have a third!

It is a joy watching them grow and sometimes their level of maturity is somewhat astonishing (in a good way). Other times I am not sure I am raising an adult or a toddler.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-28-2021, 04:18 PM

I enjoyed reading that! My #1 is about 4 years younger than yours and my #3 will be 18 in about 6 months. (My #2 is about to turn 19- now that is the most unbelievable to me)

Quote:
I remember when parents with kids my age were old, isnít it weird how that changes?
Right??? It sure is!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-28-2021, 05:45 PM

Isn't it weird how that changes? Oh my goodness YES!

I LOVE your story! Happy birthday to your son!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 02-28-2021, 06:21 PM

That was fun to read! I always remember the saying 'The days are long but the years are short' when I think of my kids. Sometimes the phases (not sleeping, constant crying, etc.) seem like they will never end, but then, POOF! your kids are all grown up!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote