Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Itís March! Whatís Everyone Reading?

>

trasie

Itís March! Whatís Everyone Reading?
Old 03-01-2021, 06:34 AM

Time to share your reading for the past month! Please share a little bit about it as well. Thank you!

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

Fleurdelys

Old 03-01-2021, 06:48 AM

Reading Things In Jars by Jess Kidd
Also Feast:True Love in and out of the kitchen by Hannah Howard (old kindle selection)

Read
Magpie Murders by Matthew Horowitz
The Guest List by Lucy Foley
The Wine witch - Luanne G Smith kindle selection
Sanatorium by Sarah Pearse

listened to
The Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee
Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
Dolly Parton Songteller by Dolly Parton
Fahrenheit 451 -Ray Bradbury
The Great Influenza by John M Barry
Fleurdelys is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Books
Old 03-01-2021, 06:55 AM

Still Lives - By Maria Hummel
" Kim Lord is an avant–garde figure, feminist icon, and agent provocateur in the L.A. art scene. Her groundbreaking new exhibition Still Lives is comprised of self–portraits depicting herself as famous, murdered women―the Black Dahlia, Chandra Levy, Nicole Brown Simpson, among many others―and the works are as compelling as they are disturbing, implicating a culture that is too accustomed to violence against women."
I did like this book.

The Chain -by Adrian McKinty
What would you do to save your kidnapped daughter? Rachel Klein drops her daughter off at the bus stop and shortly after gets a call saying Kylie has been kidnapped. To save her, Rachel must kidnap another child. They become the latest link in The Chain, which turns victims into criminals.
This book kept me engrossed until the end. If you like psychological thrillers I think you will enjoy it.

Last edited by tctrojan; 03-01-2021 at 07:37 AM..
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

March books
Old 03-01-2021, 07:08 AM

I read Girl A by Abigail Dean......well written fictional a count of children locked in home of crazy father and how they cope as adults. Itís better than I made it sound.

On my list for March:
The Paris Library
How the One Armed Sister Sweeps Her House
Waiting for the Night Song

Mixed in with regency era romantic mysteries.

I am listening to Trevor Noahís ďBorn a CrimeĒ read by him. I knew nothing about him except he was a comedian. An rather exceptional man.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 03-01-2021, 07:17 AM

I primarily read non-fiction books and would love suggestions on future reads.

Currently reading...Custerís Fall by David Humphreys Miller ( the Native American side of the story)

Recently read...The Choice by Dr. Edith Eger (Holocaust related) and The Radium Girls (title reflects what the book is about).

All three books are non- fiction.

gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-01-2021, 07:19 AM

2 novels looking at marriage, both well written:
*Fates and Furies, Groff. I’m still wavering between liked it and loved it.
*Monogamy, Miller. I’m about halfway and fully engaged, but if you don’t like character-driven, don’t read this.

1 autobiography:
*The Only Woman in the Room, Benedict. I read about Hedy Lamarr for book group, and was surprised to find I quite liked it. I especially liked the WWII part(which was most of the book).

The fun stuff:
*Smoke, Ide. I’m listening to this 5th book in the IQ series and loving it. If you want a contemporary detective story with heart, enjoy this series.
*I listened to and enjoyed 2 thrillers from Lisa Jewell:
—Then She Was Gone
—Invisible Girl
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

bellringer

Old 03-01-2021, 07:50 AM

Yesterday I finished Barack Obama's A Promised Land. I really enjoyed his view of his life and presidency through the bin Laden killing. It was especially fun to read about his family times in the White House.

While I wait for a couple on hold at the library, I am reading Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons. It is an Oprah selection from 1997 (I had picked it up at a book exchange and it has been sitting around for a couple of years.) "Ellen has to overcome an abusive childhood with grit and determination. The author bases it on her own experiences as she searched for a loving home."
bellringer is online now   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 03-01-2021, 08:06 AM

The Pull of the Stars by Donohue- set in Dublin during the Great Flu. Not only is the disease raging, they are in the middle of war. The story takes place over several days in a maternity/fever ward of a hospital. I found it interesting and timely.

A Woman of No Importance by Sonia Purnell. This is the biography of Virginia Hall an American female spy during WWII. It definitely reads as a documentary/thriller, but captures such an incredible character. I was surprised to be quite drawn in by the book. (For one of my book clubs)

Olive, Again- Strout I had this one in the pile for awhile. It was entertaining, just okay.

I'm looking forward to reading The Four Winds, Kristin Hannah's latest set during the Great Depression in Texas. Book club selection

I'm not so sure about our other book club selection, The Midnight Library by Haig. I'm curious if anyone has read it.

I am continuing my way through Caste.

Last edited by luvmycat; 03-01-2021 at 09:36 AM..
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 03-01-2021, 08:59 AM

I read
The Guest List by Foley. I did not like this one. The characters were very unlikeable to me.

The Henna Artist by Joshi. I enjoyed this book a lot.

Anxious People by Backman. I have to admit that at first I wasnít sure about this book. I found the interviews annoying. But then Iím glad I kept reading because I ended up enjoying it.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by Schwab. This is very long but I guess it has to be long if youíve lived 300 years. It is a fantasy which I honestly donít usually read. It was intriguing. Not sure if I liked it but it kept my interest.

I am just starting When No One is Watching by Cole.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 03-01-2021, 09:11 AM

I love this thread!

I've recently finished:
When No One is Watching, by Alyssa Cole: This was a look at the gentrification of a Black neighborhood in Brooklyn and examines the racial inequality /treatment of the whites vs. the blacks who live in a community.The main character is a young black woman who is researching the history of her community while her black neighbors are slowly leaving (or go missing) from the neighborhood and replaced with white families. She starts to think there may be a larger conspiracy at work. It was good, but the ending was a little over the top and incredulous.

Prairie Lotus, by Linda Sue Park: a Newbery Honor book, about a young Asian-American girl who moves with her father to a small town in the 1880s. It also focused on racial inequalities. Reminiscent of Little House on the Prairie, and very well written. I enjoyed it a lot.

Fighting Words, by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley: another Newbery Honor book; about two teenaged sisters who are in foster care after their drug-addict mother is arrested and one is abused by her stepfather. This was very hard to read, thinking that there are many kids who experience this kind of horrible childhood, but I thought it was excellent. I can see why it would be a great read for some kids who maybe experience something similar.

Fifty Words for Rain, by Asha Lemmie: a coming of age story about a girl who is born out of wedlock to a Japanese heiress from her African American lover. She is raised by her grandmother who mistreats her for being a half-breed but eventually develops a close relationship with her half-brother. Five stars for this one as well!

It's interesting to me to realize how many of my books this month focused on racial tensions of different groups/cultures. A very eye-opening look and relevant for today's times.

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

books
Old 03-01-2021, 09:25 AM

I read 3 books with the Detective Embla NystrŲm by Helene Tursten

"At twenty-eight years old, smart, strong Inspector Embla NystrŲm makes impulsive decisions that land her in hot water, but also produce results in this mystery series set in and around Gothenburg, Sweden, where the personal often intermingles with the professional."

I liked the setting (winter in Sweden) and Embla. There's a thread that runs through each novel but I did read them out of order.

Winter Grave
Hunting Game
Snowdrift
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

books
Old 03-01-2021, 09:31 AM

Just finished Under Heaven - Guy Gavriel Kay.... Epic adventure with a little fantasy Loved it.

The Reckoning - Rennie Airth

Next Year in Havana - Chanel Cleeton

War Brides - Lois Battle ...while this was never made into a movie, I could easily imagine it complete with actors from the 1940's.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 03-01-2021, 09:35 AM

I only read two this month but they were both very good.

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins - this one has been reccomended many times on this board already. It was very good.

Smoke by Joe Ide - I have enjoyed all the IQ novels and this is my favorite so far.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Reading
Old 03-01-2021, 10:34 AM

Iíve just started Caste and am blown away!
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Reading.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:45 AM

I am reading Playing Nice by JP Delaney. It is about a family who is informed their child was switched with another child while in NICU. It is going in a very different direction than I expected. I'm lukewarm about it.

I just finished Home Before Dark by Riley Sager, which I believe is categorized as a ghost story. I enjoyed it. The author is new to me and I believe I'll read more.

I'm about to start [U]Caste[U] by Isabel Wilkerson. I don't know much about it other than the what the front cover says, "The Origins of Our Discontents." A friend recommended it.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Read...
Old 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM

The Last Garden in England by Julia Kelly-A wonderful story for people who like historical fiction, gardens and romance. The story tells about three main characters in three different time periods. The garden at an estate called Highbury House is the thread that ties it all together. Venitia Smith is the designer in 1907, Beth Pedley is a volunteer there during the war and a gifted artist, and Emma Lovett is a modern day designer hired to restore the gardens to their glory. In doing so, she discovers their rich past, and how the characters, major and minor, all intertwine.

Twenty by James Grippando-A Jack Swyteck legal thriller involving a school shooting and its aftermath.

Neighbors by Danielle Steel-One of her better books in my opinion. An earthquake and it's aftermath force a reclusive former actress to meet her neighbors. In doing so, we discover that many of the lives are hiding secrets, and the message about abuse that is a theme in the book is powerful.

Daylight by David Baldacci-An Atlee Pine thriller. Atlee joins forces to solve a case with someone in the military. Will it bring her resolution as to her missing sister's fate?

Yellow Wife by Sadeqa Johnson- This book was so good I read it in two days. Pheby is a strong enslaved woman whose master is her father. She and her mother receive special treatment until one day, she is sold and winds up on a chain gang to a notorious jail in Richmond. How her life unfolds from that point on makes for a powerful story.

Before She Disappeared by Lisa Gardner A new character is introduced, a transient alcoholic whose mission is to solve missing person cases. She comes to a minority section of Boston in search of a missing high school girl. Will she find her before she loses her own life in the process?

The Shadow Box by Luanne Rice I loved this book. I read The Last Day by this author over the summer, and some of the characters have carried over. This is the story of an artist named Claire, who discovers that her husband, a wealthy gubernatorial candidate, is hiding serious secrets from his past. Brazenly, she decides to put a representation of the crime in one of her shadow boxes and have it on display at her upcoming art show. As the book opens, she is attacked before the show, and goes missing. Meanwhile, another murder occurs, and the dual investigation is coming up with links to both cases. What happened to Claire, and if she is found alive, how far will she go to expose the truth, even if it puts her own life at serious risks.

The Fortunate Ones by Ed Tarkington-This was a book about power, money and the price you can pay to stay at the top. Charlie Boykin is the recipient of a scholarship to a prestigious private school and his mom is given an upgraded job and housing. Charlie is mentored by an older student, Arch Creigh. At first, Arch is the brother he never had, but then he discovers that Arch is harboring secrets of his own. How far will Charlie be willing to go to cover for Arch and his friends, and is the loss of your own personal integrity worth it in the end?
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 03-01-2021, 12:32 PM

I just started this. Itís really good so far!

Description
Product Description
The USA Today Bestseller
An extraordinary novel of hope and heartbreak, this is a story about a family separated by the Holocaust and their harrowing journey back to each other.

There was a good orchestra at Auschwitz. I could immediately hear it was good. I almost wept for the beauty of it, but the large pile of striped pajamas stayed in my mind, and I didnít cryÖ
Dov and Yitzhak live in a small village in the mountains of Hungary, isolated both from the world and from the horrors of the war.

But one day in 1944, everything changes. The Nazis storm the homes of the Jewish villagers and inform them they have one hour. One hour before the train will take them to Auschwitz.

Six decades later, from the safety of their living rooms at home in Israel, the brothers finally break their silence to a friend who will never let their stories be forgotten.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 03-01-2021, 01:55 PM

His Truth is Marching On- John Lewis and the Power of Hope by Jon Meacham - Excellent read. John Lewis lead an extraordinary life.

When Life Gives You Pears - Jeannie Gaffigan. Jeannie Gaffigan is the wife and writing partner of Jim Gaffigan. In 2017 she had a pear shaped tumor removed from her brain. It's interesting.

Keep Sharp by Sanjay Gupta. It's about taking care of your brain. He goes through all the things you can do to protect your brain from aging. It's fascinating.
anonymouse is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 03-01-2021, 01:56 PM

I have pre ordered two highly anticipated books, one of which should be delivered tomorrow

Band of Sisters by Lauren Willig (fictionalized account of Smith College students who went to France in 1917 to aid French people devastated by war)

The Rose Code by Kate Quinn (historical novel about WWII female code breakers)

I hope they are good! Lauren is one of my favorites, and I always get great recs from her blog--she always shares her current reads. I think I got the Kate Quinn recommendation originally from either her or from a commenter on the blog
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Feb. Books
Old 03-01-2021, 03:59 PM

During February, I finished "American Dirt." I liked it and thought it was suspenseful. It made me rethink my perspective on certain issues. It definitely opened my eyes to some new thoughts and ideas. While I liked the plot and it held my attention, for some reason, I thought more of it would be about their life in America, not just the journey, so that disappointed me, but I still enjoyed it for the most part.

I also read "The Girls with No Names". It was okay. I liked the plot and I liked parts of it, but I didn't like the constant switching of perspectives. While I liked the story and the plot, I wasn't a huge fan of the style of writing of the author.

The third book I finished in February was "The Things You Save in a Fire". I really liked this book. It held my attention, it was beautifully written, a lot of good messages, etc.

Currently, I am reading "The Whisper Network" which I like. I find myself frequently making predictions and having to change my predictions as I read.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Recently Read Books
Old 03-01-2021, 04:28 PM

New author for me: Christopher Reich (thrillers)
Simon Riske Series:
The Take
Crown Jewel
The Palace
This author also has another series and many stand-alone books.

I also tried to read The Four Winds by Kristen Hannah. I learned a lot about the Great Depression. This book was just too sad and three-quarters of the way though the book and really invested in the characters, I knew I could not finish it. Maybe someday I will decide to finish it.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-01-2021, 04:50 PM

I'm reading The Perfect Couple right now after recently finishing Writers and Lovers. Writers and Lovers, a story of one woman's struggle to be a published author and a woman in love, was so well written and I hated to see it end. The Perfect Couple is a whodunit. I am not sure how I feel about it yet.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 03-01-2021, 05:33 PM

Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson
You think your life is perfect in your new house, but then you realize your next door neighbor is a killer.

A Bookshop in Berlin by Francois Frenkel
True story how a Berlin bookseller escaped to Switzerland.

When You Trap a Tiger by Tae Keller
Newberry book award winner
A poignant story of grief and trying to fit in. I needed Kleenex for the end.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 03-01-2021, 05:47 PM

i can't seem to finish an adult book before it's due back to the library...

so i'll tell about the book my class is reading.

2 years ago, everyone was raving about this book in my fb teachers' group so i read it and CRIED and was astounded at how the author wove the stories of 3 characters in different countries and decades together.

Refugee by Alan Gratz--the stories of refugees (kid main characters) fleeing the Holocaust, Cuba in the 90's, and Syria now. phenomenal story--gut-wrenching. almost every chapter is a cliff-hanger.

i read it with last year's class and they decided to hold a bake sale and donate proceeds to our local refugee organization. they were very proud of themselves--and they loved the book and felt like they learned a lot. they, too, were gutted by the outcome of the stories. this class is over halfway through the book and just hate to end reading each day.
tia is online now   Reply With Quote

KC14

Old 03-01-2021, 06:34 PM

The Apostle's Fury by Quinn Noll. It is the first of a trilogy and although not my usual genre, I loved it! The suspense made it very hard to put down!

Siri, Who Am I? by Sam Tschida. After a coma and amnesia Mia had not clue who she was or what her life was like.

One More for Christmas by Sarah Morgan. I can never get enough of Christmas stories!

Finding Freedom: Harry & Meghan by Omid Scobie. An interesting true story about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex

I am almost finished with:
Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris
and
Return to Virgin River by Robyn Carr. I just finished watching Virgin River on Netflix and read most of Carr's other books so had to keep going!
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-01-2021, 06:34 PM

The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson - a terrific biography of Churchill that reads like a novel.

The Leavers by Lisa Ko. I actually DNF this one at first, then went back to it and enjoyed it. It's about a boy whose mom suddenly leaves when he's in elementary school and how that affects him throughout his life. Eventually you find out what actually happened to his mom.

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I enjoy his memoirs and stories very much, but I think his style is kind of love it or hate it.

How Not to Die Alone by Richard Roper. This one was not necessarily memorable but it was funny and an easy read.

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin. This is a YA book - we had done an author study with her picture books at school and I was interested in her works for older kids. It was very enjoyable and wove a lot of folktales throughout the story.

I am currently reading Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve and thoroughly enjoying it, and Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen which is very good but not something I can just sit and power through in a weekend.

I had quite a few in my DNF pile this month - Razor Girl and Twice in a Blue Moon were two of them.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 03-01-2021, 07:28 PM

Most of the books I read were recommended here, thanks!
And thank you for reminding me to order the new IQ

The book of lost names , Harmel, and The book of lost friends, Wingate, are great, they stayed with me.
I also enjoyed The language of flowers, Diffenbaugh. A different book, quite uplifting and easy to read.

On my Favorites list, The good Lord bird, by James McBride. I liked all of it, the characters, the story, the style

Two books I won't recommend:
A fine balance, by Rohinton Mistry. Important subject matter, and a serious book, but why did he make the ending so depressing?

I also read Why we swim, by Bonnie Tsui. The overuse of superlatives in the first chapters, the not so clear definition of genre ( autobiography? research? ) didn't appeal to me and left me disappointed. There are quite a few interesting points but I wanted something deeper I guess...
WacSingLof is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Reading...
Old 03-02-2021, 04:20 AM

The Vanishing half by Brit Bennett (NY times number 5 on nonfiction)
And Organizing from the inside out by Julie Morganstern
Just finished the world could be otherwise by Norman Fischer

Last edited by juliet4; 03-03-2021 at 03:50 AM..
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

dellminiwhite

March Reading
Old 03-02-2021, 03:05 PM

50 Words For Rain.....
dellminiwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 03-02-2021, 05:55 PM

in February, I read:

Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle. A cozy mystery about a book restorer. The book restoring information was pretty cool; the mystery was so so.

The Law of Innocence by Michael Connelly. I always like his writing. This is a Lincoln Lawyer novel and wasn't as formulaic as his last Bosch novel.

The Student by Cary Fagan. I read this for my book club. It's a story of 2 times in a woman's life. We all liked it.

Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspear. Book 3 of the Maisie Dobbs series. It's better than Book 2 so I think I'll keep going in the series.

Nine Women One Dress by Jane L. Rosen. A satisfyingly predictable novel about one particular dress. I quite liked reading it.

Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop by Roselle Lim. Chick lit, predictable, it was okay.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 03-03-2021, 04:05 PM

I read a lot in February! Sorry I'm a little late to the party.

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (The Expanse, #1)

I enjoyed this science fiction book about war between Earth, Mars, and the "Belters" - I will continue reading the series. There is a series on Amazon Prime based on these books, but I have not watched it yet.

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson

At first, I wasn't sure I was going to like this book, but then it sucked me in and I read it in a couple of days.

The Bullet-Catcher's Daughter (Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire, #1) by Rod Duncan

This is the first book in an interesting steam punk/sci fi series. I am reading the second book in the series right now: Unseemly Science (The Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire #2) by Rod Duncan

When Harry Met Minnie by Martha Teichner

Okay, this is my breed! I like Martha Teichner on CBS Sunday Morning and loved this book!

Writers & Lovers by Lily King

This one started out slow for me, but I stuck with it. In the end, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I read it.

Hard Time by Jodi Taylor (The Time Police, #2)

I love all of Jodi Taylor's books! Her Chronicles of St. Mary's series is fabulous, and this is book 2 of a spin off series. I loved it!

Last edited by annie_g; 03-03-2021 at 05:24 PM..
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote