Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Vaccines-End of Day

>

Alaska35

Vaccines-End of Day
Old 03-02-2021, 11:17 AM

Program. A pharmacy in the city I live in (pop. 10,000 or so) started and End of the Day vaccine program. The purpose is to use the vaccines that could go to waste because of cancellations. You can call this pharmacy and they will place you on this list. You can be any age to be placed on the list.

My husband and I found out about this program about a week and a half ago. So, he called and told them we were both 64 and they said that was fine. You have to be able to come on short notice and arrive in 15 minutes. We were able to do that because we are both retired. After we signed up, our state opened up the next level of ages which was 65-70. We figured that we wouldnít be called, if at all, for a long time. There would be so many people ahead of us. However, about 3 days after we signed up, the pharmacy called us later that day and a couple had just cancelled their appointments. So, we received our first shot (the Moderna vaccine). They scheduled our appointment one month later for the second shot.

The pharmacy did not advertise this program, but the news has gotten around via word of mouth. We shared the info with family and people we felt would be interested in signing up to receive the vaccine in this manner.

I just wanted to share this info because this might be something that some of you would want to check on where you live.

Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 03-02-2021, 11:41 AM

They were doing that at the clinic I went to so I brought my 80 year old friend. She waited until the end of the day and they had a shot for her. Otherwise those vaccines are going in the garbage. I think they should publicize it. That way they wouldn't waste any.
nucleus is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-02-2021, 11:45 AM

Good for you and thanks for sharing. Itís interesting how obtaining the vaccine is so different everywhere and such a matter of luck. I guess thatís why the experts say, ďIf itís offered to you, take it.Ē

Like most teachers, Iím a rule-follower. At first it sort of offended me that some werenít following the rules until I realized that itís more of a free-for-all. When I became eligible, I said Iíd wait for my provider as instructed. Then my provider was having trouble obtaining the vaccine and basically said, ďIf you can find it somewhere else...Ē I did.

Reading posts on NextDoor, I realize there isnít even a single plan within my County. So now Iím in the camp voting for perseverance and saying yes when itís offered to you.

Again, hooray for you.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 03-02-2021, 12:14 PM

That's a good idea. I honestly don't know what happens to unused vaccine around here. If I were to guess, I would say that when they get a cancellation or no-show they probably start contacting people scheduled for upcoming days to see if they want to come in early.

It is a disorganized mess, though. My school was supposed to have a vaccine clinic this week with vaccine provided by one of the local tribes but, as of today, they hadn't received this week's shipment so, apparently, no clinic this week. But, I was able to get scheduled today at a local pharmacy for Thursday! I guess there's the one advantage to living in the land of anti-vaxxers.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 03-02-2021, 12:36 PM

Good for you! I got my 1st dose on Sunday and asked if they had a wait list for end of day vaccines. Sure enough DH is now on the list!

They really don't want to throw any out!

Quote:
At first it sort of offended me that some werenít following the rules until I realized that itís more of a free-for-all.
I haven't heard of it being a free-for-all anywhere, but I've heard of some being in the right place at the right time and getting it before they're eligible. Used to bother me some, but then I realized how it was happening and decided those people were lucky to be where they were!

teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-02-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I haven't heard of it being a free-for-all anywhere
Here we go again with me explaining what I meant. I did NOT mean a fight. I meant that (in my County) there are many different ways to obtain the vaccine. There are different websites, locations, lists... People post on NextDoor daily about opportunities and difficulties. And, most important of all, things change daily. We have vaccine station closures due to weather here and weather in Texas preventing delivery. There is not one avenue to obtaining the vaccine. People who want to be vaccinated have to fend for themselves. Thatís all I meant.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-02-2021, 04:12 PM

One of the lists I had signed up for had a similar option. I don't live within 15 minutes of any of their clinics, so I wasn't able to sign up for that. Luckily I was able to get my first dose elsewhere.

Towards the beginning of vaccinations, Kaiser (my insurance and they suck) threw out a bunch of doses because they lost power at one of their offices and didn't have any of the "right people" there to give the vaccine too . The governor blasted them in his next press release- saying if your choice is to throw it out or get it into any arm, you choose any arm. Doesn't matter if it's a 19 year old who happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Being Proactive...
Old 03-02-2021, 05:38 PM

In my state, there is a state registration site and many individual ones. Some places put you on a list, the majority offer time slots and it is a feeding frenzy trying to get a slot because multiple people are actually competing for that appointment. Rite Aid and the Meadowlands mega site drop appointments at midnight, and others do so randomly throughout the day. There are Twitter sites that alert you to when something goes live and then let the insanity begin. It can seem like a full-time job to score an appointment.

Many people have not yet heard from the state registration, but I did. Sadly, it offered three sites that were only open to residents of counties I did not live in. If I had waited for that, I would have nothing. People cannot depend on that.

It does bother me when people jump the line. In my state, anyone can check they have a medical condition from the list, and it is not verified. I like the wait list idea for the end of the day so the vaccine goes to qualified recipients. There still are many people 65 and over in my state and/or who have health conditions and are still waiting. I am in a Facebook Covid Vaccine info group and the stories are very sad.

Good luck to everyone still trying.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-02-2021, 06:20 PM

That's good to know. I wish that were advertised around here. I could possibly get to something like that. I can't even get on any sort of list for anything so far. I am beyond tired of constantly seeing that these specific places are reporting "vaccines available" and going through the stupid steps I have to go through to get to the scheduling page (they only take online scheduling) only to be told "no appointments available" EVERY FREAKING TIME. Some of the places require you to go through the whole "are you eligible" questionnaire first, and then choose the places, and THEN tell you no appointments available. If you want to check a different location of the same exact place, you have to go through it ALL AGAIN.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

Added info
Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 AM

Thanks for your thoughts and information. I wanted to add this info to my post from yesterday. I live in a southern state in the middle part of the United States. I think the bad weather we had 3 or so weeks ago contributed to my husband and I receiving the vaccine sooner.

My brother and sister-in-law live in a different city in the same state that I do. My brother is in the age group that is eligible now and received his vaccine yesterday. My sister-in-law called about the end of the day list and the pharmacy said they had 6 left over and to come up and receive the vaccine. So, she called family and friends that she knew to let them know so that they could call and possibly get the vaccine.

Our governor is lifting all directives at the end of March if the numbers stay like they are now.We we’re surprised and are very concerned about this plan of his right now. I do not live in Texas. I felt that he would have waited at least until the end of summer to do something like this because more people would and should be vaccinated by that time.

Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote