Help

First Grade

Clip Chart Privacy

>

hopeful10

Clip Chart Privacy
Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In my interview yesterday, I explained to the P how I wanted to implement the clip chart in my classroom as a behavior management tool. The P told me she is "old school" and doesn't like the clip chart because it is too public and thinks it causes students to be humiliated when they have to move their clip. She told me prefers a system that is more private and not everyone can see. Later, in another question, I went into greater detail about the clip chart with the P and explained how it is more to highlight positive behavior than focus on the negative. I told her I have seen ways where the clip chart has been done on a clipboard or in a manilla folder and the teacher is the one who moves the clips and would consider using that system.

What ways do you have of making you behavior system less negative? I know you could put numbers on the clothespins instead of names. What other way can this be done? Are there any other portable and private ways to do a clip chart so it is more private?

I have a second interview with this charter school system later in the week and want to be able to show I've looked into other ways of doing the clip chart.

hopeful10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockin1stgrad

Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If a kid has to move their clip- all of the other students already know that that kid was doing something wrong. I love the clip chart system because it shows that we all make mistakes but we can learn from them.I would see the p's view as more current not old school. We are very focused on not damaging egos.

As in a more private system... I think that you nailed it with a clipboard etc.

I have signs that I made on my blog to go with the clip chart system. They explain clip up moves, clip down and when you are allowed to move them back up. I have these displayed for students to see. Perhaps having something like this will help and reiterating "we all make mistakes."

I wonder what type of discipline system that they use... I would think that someone like thepwohld like something liketheclip chart system. However, if you made it to the second interview- id say unless they bring it up- don't say more about it. You can just say, "I'm familiar and have used the clip chart system but I am open to other systems."

Good luck! :-)
Rockin1stgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

maps

I agree that
Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

children's behavior should be private. One reason being that we have parent volunteers in and it then becomes gossip and I don't like children's behavior becoming community discussion. I created a time out book. The book has a cover and a page for every day. I make a book for each month and I write the date at the top of the page.
The time-out sheet has 3 columns: 1st column is green (ready to learn) and I have the kids names typed in this column, 2nd column is yellow (slow down and think about making the right choice) , 3rd column red (stop and think about your actions - there will be a consequence). Everyday the children start in green (ready to learn), if they break a rule , make a bad choice etc. they will sign their name in the yellow column ( warning), if they break a rule again on this day they sign their name in the red column (consequence). This book also becomes a document for parent conferences.
At the end of the day we play a game (four corners) so I check the time out book and if anyone has signed their name in red their consequence is that they have to put their heads down on their desk and can't play the game and if your name is not in the red you are rewarded for good behavior by playing the game. The kids look forward to playing the game at the end of the day.
So, usually by January the time out book is hardly needed because everyone has learned the idea of rewards and consequences. Maybe you can convert your clip chart idea to a book format or maybe a file folder that can be closed. I hope this helps. Good luck!
maps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiara Mama

Slight Alteration
Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I, too, teach in a school where any public display of a student's behavior is not accepted. When I read about the clip chart last summer, I knew that I wanted to do it and tried to figure out how I could make it more private.

I put little envelopes(I think they are coin envelopes from Office Max) on each student's desk with "Ready to Learn" green and all of the colors below it on the clip chart. In the front of the room, I have baskets with slips for all of the positive colors above "Read to Learn".

I still use the colors, but rather than saying, "Clip up or clip down," I say, "Card up or card down," or I can take cards away privately and let the student know what he/she did wrong.

The adjustment was slight, but my principal loves it. I do agree that kids will know who has cards up or down every day, but at least it's not posted in the front of the room. For me it was a winning situation because I could still use the clip chart concept without getting any negative feedback on my evaluation this year!
Tiara Mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

clip chart
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My clip chart is in the front of my room where it can be seen and is easily accessable. It was a BIG part of my class last year. I really like how the students can move up. They get many chances to improve behavior. The parents loved it too. I use numbers on the clips not names. I end up with kids that are good always going up and the kids that have issues go down. The ones that are challenges behaviors don't change much and I believe if there were no chart things would be the same. So why make the effort?

In the middle of the school year I use tallies and give a tally to each group (row) of students that transition well and are ready to begin the lesson or whatever. The group that has the most tallies get a small treat at the end of the day. (sticker or small candy). In theory all the class could get treats or some days no one gets a treat if its a bad day. This seem to work better. Once an a while I get a kid with a bad attitude that ruins it for the group so that kid has to sit by himself and get tallies. This works better I am not really happy about giving candy but someone gave me a bag of Tootsie Rolls the size of a bed pillow. I had to get rid of them or I would eat them all. I wish our school would ban candy.

Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Love-Teach

Clip Chart
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am very conservative (or "old school") if that's what you want to call it. When I was growing up almost every teacher used a clip chart, cards, or some other way of tracking behavior. I really don't see a privacy issue with this system. If the child is embarrassed when they have to move a clip, that's pretty good motivation to BEHAVE. I am a huge advocate of positive enforcement for good behavior. I am always praising my students for everything I can but I am really tired of the attitude a lot of people have where EVERYTHING has to be positive. For decades, we've gotten by with the simple concept of Positive Behavior = Positive Consequence ---- Negative Behavior = Negative Consequence.
Love-Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

my thoughts
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

long time ago I used a clip chart for my behavior. I moved to a school where majority of my students were pick ups. As I observed the parents picking up their child I heard the comment, " did you move your clip?" Instead of asking what they learned, or what kind of day did they have, they were worried about the behavior. It made me think about what I was doing...did I want the parents to be worried about their child's behavior, or did I want them worried about what they learned. I have since moved away from a visual behavior system. I deal with individuals and parents as needed. I also work on building the positive with compliments and making good decisions.

just something to think about...
K-Jeanne is online now   Reply With Quote

Malene

I agre with k Jeanne
Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My school used to use a card flipping system. I felt it had a neg. affect on children. I now use a positive behavior model. Pbis. We spend plenty of time understanding what expectations are. I can remind children of the rules. I use 123 magic for problems. I keep tally marks on a clip board for children with behavior problems. I can conference with that child and his parent. My p is very supportive of this method.

Last edited by Malene; 07-18-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Malene is offline   Reply With Quote

mymunchkins

Love the clip chart
Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I used the clip chart last year and loved it. Clips were moved up for "above and beyond" kindness and helpfulness. Clips were moved down for breaking classroom rules. I did use their classroom numbers on the clothespins for privacy and that way I can also reuse them from year to year.
mymunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would strongly hesitate to say you are going to use a specific type of management in an interview. Instead I would focus on positive behavior via nonverbals and verbals. I would say that management depends on the group of students. I've had coworkers who don't bring out a clip chart until or if they feel it's needed. I have found that some people like them and others are against them. Personally I would never use one and never have.

Behavior management is huge. If the P disagrees with what you say, it could mean not getting the job offer. Also find out if they have a school wide plan and refer to that.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote

phoenixsmom

Clip Chart
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I actually used a stop light. I put student numbers on the clothespins and I kept the stoplight chart hanging inside a cabinet. The students would open the door, move their clip, and then close the door back.
phoenixsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

gradeteacher

Old 07-18-2012, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My students can only move up on the clip chart. I also use numbers on the clothespins (actually, I put it on my magnetic board and use magnetic tape on the back of card paper that has their numbers on it). I have six categories: ready to learn, doggone good, pawsitively great, absolutely awesome, race to the top, and top of the chart. I have pictures of cartoon dogs on each of the categories. Not many make it to the top, but if they do, their names go on to the Wall of Fame, a section of the board that lists the numbers of the top students.

Any consequences for breaking rules are dealt out separately from the clip chart.

I find this to be the best way to use the clip chart. Students fall all over each other to get to the top of the chart. I don't offer prizes. All they receive is something that they crave more than anything: public recognition. They only associate good feelings with the chart.

I was just hired for a new position. I told the interview team about the clip chart and how successful it is in shaping student behavior. They were very excited to hear about it.
gradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

nilvero

I used the clip chart
Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

But in a similar way to grade teacher. They could move down, but for the most part everyone moved up. The chart helped me to focus more on their positive behavior choices. I rarely made anyone move their clip down once they moved it up.
nilvero is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Clip chart - positive only
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My clip chart is cut off so that the lowest section is ready to learn. I only use it as a positive reinforcement. Students only move up. If student makes a bad choice, I talk to them about making better choices and then they go over to the Think sheet book. Each day there is a new sheet with the date at the top. There are also 4 columns titled with our class rules - be safe, be respectful, be responsible, and be ready to learn. The student signs their name under their new choice. I find that this is a good way to constantly reinforce the rules without taking away too much time. The Think Sheet Book serves as a record of student problem areas that I can refer to when writing notes home or calling home or at parent conferences.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

mcbtcarolina

clips
Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I also use the clip chart with the students class numbers.
My parents like to know that their child has a chance to
move up. It reminds student's that we all make mistakes
and can do better.
mcbtcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote