Help

Second Grade

Reading Test Help

>

hopeful10

Reading Test Help
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I give a reading comprehension test every Friday to my students about the story we read that week. We always review before the test and I allow them to use their books with the story in it so they can learn testing skills similar to FCAT. I've been reading the questions and answer choices out loud to my students all year.

This past Friday, because of FAIR testing, I attempted to have them take it on their own. It didn't go so well. My high kids and some of my meduim kids were fine. I decided to give everyone their tests back after reading and reviewing the story. I told them to check their answers as I read the question and answer choices out loud and if they thought they needed to change any answers they could.

I realized today that when I am reviewing their answers to the short answer questions as they turn their tests in I hand it back to them if there answer is not right and have them look for the right answer. I know this is a bad habbit I got into. I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me on how to fix this.

What do you do when it comes to reading comprehension test short answer questions? How can I fix this?

Thanks everyone in advance!

hopeful10 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

reading test
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can tell you are from Florida since you said FCAT. I am going to assume you are talking about the weekly selection test since you say it is on the story read that week. In my opinion, you should not be reading the test to them at all (unless it is an IEP accomodation) as it is a reading test. They need to be able to do this on their own. I realize kids often do not do well on these tests even though we beat the story to death each week, but if you are reading it to them, it is really not testing much. Do you give the FCAT Weekly Assessment? I like this one much better because it is a cold read, but the comprehensioin questions still test the skill. I no longer give the selection test as I want more time to teach and don't feel a need to give so many tests.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote