Help

Second Grade

How do YOU plan as a team?

>

NewlyMiller

How do YOU plan as a team?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a team leader for our 2nd grade team. This is my second year in this role. Last year we had 5 team members. We spilt the subject areas out to plan and then met once a week to put the plans together on a lesson plan template and handed out copies and materials.

This year we are a small team of 3. We are limited on time. One team member brings so many ideas and off topic information that our meetings can last up to 3 hours. I have been able to keep our meetings at about an hour but feel that we are rushing though the plans. We are all sitting together to plan ALL subjects together.

I would like to plan for subject areas like last year but one team member (the same one) thinks it is too much for one person to do.. even when she was given the 'lighter' load.

How do you plan as a team? Any suggestions, lesson plan templates or examples would be greatly appreciated.

NewlyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

planning
Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are 3 of us on our team. We all work very well together. On is a planner. She likes to have the lessons written early. So she writes the plans by looking at last years plans and adjusting to this years progress. She emails us the plans and the weekly newsletter. We insert as needed for our class. I add the extra stuff that is needed for centers, guided reading, guided math and cc lessons. The third teacher is new but she is helpful at running copies for the team. We visit often but don't have a scheduled time. Today we sat for 20 min and wrote our fall break reading lessons.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

team planning
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We don't. Too many different philosophies regarding teaching. We can't agree on much of anything, so we we keep pace with each other by folowing the district scope, but all do our own thing. I know, we could be using our time much better, but what can you do?
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Used to
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I used to plan with the 3rd grade team, we would sit and figure out what story we were reading from the anthology, what we wanted to do in Science or Social Studies, and what we planned to do in Math. If someone had an idea for how to enhance it they said it. We basically took the book and pick and chose what we wanted to do from there.

So for example in 2nd grade we read, "Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night" I somewhat planned with one of the other teachers in that I said I wanted to make S'mores and make a Mudge. She then suggested I take her kids for S'mores and she would take my kids to make Mudge. (Horrible idea, but that is a vent for some other time.).
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Mudge?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What is mudge? Is it fudge made with marshmallows?

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

hopeful10

2 of us
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There are just two of us on our 2nd grade team. We split the subjects in half the best we could. I write the Math and Science Lesson Plans and my partner writes the LA/Reading, Social Studies, and Character Education plans. We really like doing it this way. I tend to finish my plans early, so I send them to her and she adds in her part. If there is something we want to add to the lesson we just add it when we are teaching. Our P told us she didn't care if how we taught our lessons varied a little from the plans, just as long as the main standards, etc of the lesson are reached.
hopeful10 is offline   Reply With Quote