Help

The VENT

Too Much Review...

>

hopeful10

Too Much Review...
Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My principal came in two Friday's ago and did a short observation. She saw me reviewing with my students for a Grammar Test on Capitalization. I write a whole paragraph about me, a biography kind of, and it had capitalization errors throughout. I had the students come up and fix the errors before giving them the test.

Fast forward to today... I went to ask my P a question about our report cards. She told me the answer and then told me I do TOO MUCH review with the students. She said it is like I am giving them all the answers to the test. My P wants me to review the day before the test and then on the day of the test give them the test w/ little to no review.

I knew this was a problem and have already started to correct it... it just stinks to be called out on it

hopeful10 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissSunnyDay2

MissSunnyDay2

Old 10-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reframe your thinking. Don't see it as being called out but as advice that will allow you to get a better assessment of what your students know. See it as the P's advice to help you learn and grow as a teacher.

P is right, as you know because you are already fixing the issue. It is the P's job to provide you with constructive criticism. If you are upset anytime you receive constructive criticism you will end up being upset a lot because we can all grow all the time. Be happy the P isn't holding back until renewal time.

hopeful10

Didn't mean to
Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

make it sound that way. "Called out" was the wrong wording. My P and I get along really well. I know it was advice and I am thankful for it.

Teacherbee_4

hurts
Old 10-15-2012, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love it when I get constructive criticism from my principal; however, I still always feel bad (even though I encourage his feedback) because I don't want to disappoint him. Is this kind of how you feel?

What would bother me about your situation is that your principal told you a week later and it was after you initiated something. She didn't do it in a timely manner and she should have initiated it. She waited for you to drop by so she could tell you, rather than just telling you on HER time. That's what gets me. I understand administrators are busy, but a week is way too long for feedback. In my opinion if you have suggestions for improvement, they should be given in 24 hours or they must not be that important. AND, if she really had a problem with it, then SHE should have came to you instead of the other way around.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

ArtistLove

Review
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it sounds like a great lesson. The only thing you need to change is the timing of the activity - doing it the day prior instead of the day of the test.

You sound like a reflective teacher who is able to identify what is working and what is not with your group of students. Keep up the good work, and don't be so hard on yourself!

ArtistLove is offline   Reply With Quote
MissSunnyDay2

MissSunnyDay2

Old 10-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think TeacherBee gives good advice and has a great question. I also agree that the P waited too long.

I also understand being disappointed in myself when I don't perform to others expectations. It took a long time to get to the point where it doesn't impact me like it did when I was younger.

I also agree, OP, that you sound like a reflective teacher. Just see these lessons as learning lessons.

These instances are no different than when we instruct our students that what they did was inaccurate because teaching is always a learning process. But then, I was also a student that didn't like it when I did something wrong. I'd beat myself up. Nothing but perfection was good enough for me when I was young. Thank goodness, age has helped that issue of mine! Hopefully, time and reframing your thinking will help you.

Good thing you were already reflecting on the issue and making strides in fixing it. See that as a positive.

hopeful10

This!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"I love it when I get constructive criticism from my principal; however, I still always feel bad (even though I encourage his feedback) because I don't want to disappoint him. Is this kind of how you feel?"

This is exactly how I feel.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging feedback

BWIND

Same here
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have the same type of relationship with my p. She is awesome about giving constructive comments. I'm the same way with not wanting to disappoint. Right now I'm reworking my reading block because my kids "read too much." I never thought this was a problem, but I will fix it! HA!!
BWIND is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

This is really interesting
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I hope you will forgive me for veering kind of off-topic because this post is really interesting.

At my former school, I taught 4th grade math and science my last year there. The math series includes a version A and a version B for each chapter test. All math teachers had their students complete one or the other version as a study guide on the day before the test.

Some teachers took a grade even on the study guide. All made sure the kids had the correct answer by the end of the period. The teacher that kind of led the grade level math teachers said we should review for the test just before we hand it out.

I know one of the Social Studies teachers used the actual test as a study guide. The kids worked on it one day, took the test the next day.

I always thought this was pretty screwy. My idea is also this
Quote:
review the day before the test and then on the day of the test give them the test w/ little to no review.
The kids and parents at this school became used to their way of doing things, naturally, and trying to get away from it caused me much stress. Grades went down, Johnny who never got less than a B suddenly wasn't doing so well, and by golly - it was all my fault. Seems everyone figured the kids could waltz through like they had always done.

Needless to say, I changed my methods. It was a fight I knew I couldn't win.

Sorry for taking this off-topic, but this just struck a bell with me.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote
MissSunnyDay2

MissSunnyDay2

Old 10-16-2012, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've always called this type of review 'priming the pump' and it think it is great for grade elevation but horrible for assessing what the students can independently recall. The system deludes itself when these methods are used because the kids to well on the tests but when the pump isn't primed the kids don't seem to know the information. So, when a child is in a situation to independently use the concept or information, they just can't seem to get it. Unfortunately, the child is blamed for the issue because they were taught the material. The were successful with it based on the grades. Therefore the only conclusion must be the child isn't giving enough effort and being lazy. Sad thing is, they were set up for failure in the future.

When we don't have appropriate data, methods in the classroom aren't changed to move that information from short-term to long-term memory. Strategies aren't used to help students learn to think in a way that will be able to hook to information that will pull out the details from their memory.

In my area the teachers are notorious for priming the pump on many levels from a short review before a quiz/test to providing a study guide that is the quiz/test. Even worse, in upper grades reading comprehension is determined by quizzing or testing after the reading is explained. It is beleived the kids can comprehend because of the great grades but when push comes to shove and no one has told them what the reading was about they fail miserably and then of course are blamed for not trying.

I'm not saying anyone here blames the student, but it is very common in my area. Those kids get blamed for many things that are a product of the methods used in the classroom.