Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What should I do?

>

Jackie

What should I do?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 AM

Okay so I sold my house recently and DH, DS, and I will be moving into my parents home for at least a year. I need to figure out what to do with all our stuff. The only things we are bringing to my parents house are my DS's crib and changing table, our bed, and all our clothes. My plan was to put the rest into storage. I called PODS and they want around $1000 to deliver and pick up the storage units and $500 a month to store the PODs. Next they told me it will cost almost $2000 to deliver the PODS to our new house (whenever that may be). I am looking at almost $10,000 to store our furniture.

My question is this... Should I just sell the big pieces of furniture off and get a smaller storage unit for the things I really love and want to keep and just buy new furniture for the new house? Or suck it up and store everything? A smaller unit would run me $190 a month.

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

Storage
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM

Why not just rent a large storage unit?
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

catapult

Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM

my grandma moved from canada to the states and storaged her things till her new apartment will be ready here... It ended up taking 1.5 years instead of one year for the house to be ready... with all the storage costs- she could have bought brand new furniture and it would have cost her alot less- as she would have been able to sell the old one and avoid storage costs... so yes- I think it would be smart for you to sell the stuff, and get new ones once you move... Its a brand new house- its nice to have new furniture- especially if that saves you money!
catapult is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 AM

I would probably sell it off and save up for new furniture. After a while, the furniture sitting in the storage is going to feel dirty and gross when you go to get it out and you will have that dirty feel to it as you take it in to your new home. I say sell as much as you can!
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

Similar Situation
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM

My DH and I have been in a similar situation recently. We looked at the prices for storing furniture and decided to just sell most of it because it would have cost more to store than to buy new!

We did keep pieces that were important to us - they came with us.

SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

We rented a storage unit
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 AM

We rented a unit for over a year. It was 15x20ish an it was 110.00. I looked into pods and was never quoted that much!!!! I had read reviews about things breaking and decidedi didn't want to risk it.
emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Krielyteacher

sell
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 AM

sell it!!!!!

Unless it is something absolutely irreplaceable (antique from so and so) go ahead and sell it. It's just stuff & you can use the money to purchase new updated items once you are in your own home again.
Krielyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 AM

Inwould look into storage unit facilities before I made a final decision. Also, compare climate controlled to nonclimate controled costs for units. I have heard PODS can be pricey. Probably much cheaper to hire comeone to move to a storage facility. If you cover your furniture with plastic and/or old shhets and blankets it should be fine as far as cleanliness.

We have twice stored furniture during moves and never had an issue with stuff beig dirty.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

angelteacher

PODs are very pricey in our area.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM

Check into storage facilities near you that have climate control. We rented a unit for 100 a month that held six rooms of furniture. It was packed, but it was worth it. That furniture was worth a lot more than the $1800 we spent on storage. Research your options.
angelteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM

I would also check around for storage units. Maybe a smaller community nearby? I think I only paid $50 a month.

You just need to balance the cost of moving it, selling it, keeping it, etc and decided.

Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM

Sell the stuff you aren't completely in love with, and then store the rest in a storage facility. Here there are 8x12 units for $50 a month.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote