Help

Second Grade

Magazine subscriptions in 2nd grade?

>

msj5ny

Magazine subscriptions in 2nd grade?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone (if there's anyone left )! I have been teaching for about 13 years -- all of them in 4th and 5th grade. I will be teaching 2nd grade for the first time next year.

In 5th, I loved using Scholastic News and my friend would sometimes give me her extra Time For Kids magazines. Reading through the magazine and discussing the articles in them was my favorite part of the day. Many of my students enjoyed it also.

I'm looking through the online samples and I'm not impressed or excited. Time for Kids only gives one sample issue so that is even harder to evaluate.

Other than Scholastic News and Time for Kids, what are my options for 2nd grade students? In your opinion, which magazine is best and why?

Is there anyone who doesn't use magazines? Any particular reason why?

Do you find that using magazines help you teach the new Common Core standards?

Sorry for all the questions---I'm nervous and excited and just want to do a good job.

msj5ny is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Bee

Natl. Geographic??
Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I thought I heard that Natl. Geographic has one but we use Time 4 Kids in our 3rd grade. I'm switching to 2nd grade and I'm not sure if they use that or Scholastic. I do agree with you about how the kiddos like them. I would use them every Friday and then do the graphing or questions that went along with them to let them work in pairs or group. The one thing I liked about Time is that they increased the pages this last year so it offered more articles.

Smithsonian offers a really unique magazine based on topic (Mummies, Revolutionary War, etc). But I usually only buy one copy and then display it on my book rack to let them read/or look at the pictures. I never investigated, but I suspect the cost of a classroom set would be high.
Mrs. Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

middie mom

Scholastic News & National Geographic
Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use Scholastic News with my 2nd graders. I really enjoy using the online features with my Promethean board (intro video, vocabulary, game/quiz). Scholastic News also started integrating many common core skills into their issues this year, which is great. As a grade level, we also buy 12 copies of the National Geographic magazines to use in small groups. There's a K/1 edition (http://ngexplorer.cengage.com/ngyoungexplorer/) that is really easy, which I used mostly with my below grade level readers. The other edition is grades 2/3 (http://ngexplorer.cengage.com/pioneer/index.html) and is very challenging. I used this issue mostly with my above grade level readers. I really wish that National Geographic made an issue at 2nd grade level. The articles are much more in depth than Scholastic News, and fit very well with common core.
middie mom is offline   Reply With Quote

bellringer

National Geographic
Old 06-19-2013, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My second grade team ordered the National Geographic for Kids this past year. It is not current events, but more science and social studies articles (like the adult version). As such, I am not ordering them for next year, as I will reuse the ones that I have. Generally I used them in guided reading with my top groups (those above the end of year benchmark). I thought they were wonderful for increasing the amount of nonfiction reading and for teaching the nonfiction Common Core standards.
bellringer is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Scholastic News
Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been extremely happy with Scholastic News for 2nd graders. They are one of my best sources for teaching informational text. In fact, when we're finished with them, I have students cut them up and use them to make a scrapbook of Features of Informational Text.

The video clips, vocabulary work, and other activities are wonderful!

Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

odile

Magazine Subscription
Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use Weekly Reader.
odile is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

Scholastic
Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I used the Scholastic News, but only ordered 1 copy. I laminated it and used it in my center. But the interactive website is awesome and I used it every month with the whole class.
I like the idea of ordering enough for a small group next year to use with guided reading.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Scholastic News
Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

SN is now Weekly Reader. After being unimpressed with either and having tried both through the years, I've got to say, this past year I have found SN/WR a wonderful resource for teaching informational text. It has been very intentional about supporting Common Core. As PP have said, the online resources are great, too!
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

SN for me and I purchase a class set
Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have taught kinder (Lets Find Out) for years then when moved to first last year we used the next level up. I am moving again to second next year and am ready to buy (even from my own pocket) Definately worth it.
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

busyasbees

Scholastic News
Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use Scholastic News and I don't know what I would do without it. They have great online resources, my students love them, and they cover all Common Core standards. I pay for the subscriptions out of my own pocket because it is worth it.

busyasbees is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

magazines
Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've used both,but Time for Kids most recently. I liked it, but always struggled to find time to use it. I think with common core and our switch to reader's workshop, I would use it more.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

TiggerPooh

Explorer
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

National Geographic Explorer for 2nd is wonderful. Great pictures, vocabulary and articles.
TiggerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote

nokidding

Scholastic News
Old 06-21-2013, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My students and I love Scholastic News!
nokidding is offline   Reply With Quote

msj5ny

thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I agree that the interactive portion of the Scholastic News subscription was fantastic! I won't have a Smartboard in my new classroom so I'm sad about that. I used to have a Smartboard and a document camera.

I will miss that so much.
Thanks for all of your input.
msj5ny is offline   Reply With Quote

Punkin6512

2nd grade magazines
Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have used both Scholastic News and Time for Kids. I found Scholastic News to be an easy, but good, read for all of my students with current monthly topics. However, I loved TFK more so I did not renew Scholastic News a few years ago and have never missed it. TFK is a little more challenging text, but great for average and high learners. It is also a wonderful source of informational text for CCSS.

I pass out a new TFK each week and students keep their copy in their book bags (each student has one attached to their chair). On Mondays we always read it together (1st quarter, I read aloud, but then 2nd-4th quarter they either partner read or independently read.) Tuesdays we complete an activity (wkst) that comes with the magazine-GREAT for CCSS. Wednesdays they have to reread it and write down 3-4 facts they learned. Thursdays they take it home and read it to a parent and Fridays we have a class discussion on articles. I love them because it helps me get in some nonfiction/informational text every day! Once the routine is down, it takes only 10-15 minutes a day.

Last edited by Punkin6512; 06-29-2013 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention weekly center
Punkin6512 is offline   Reply With Quote