Must-Have PD books for teaching 1st?

>

AMK228

AMK228

Must-Have PD books for teaching 1st?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello 1st Grade teachers!
I am moving from 2nd to 1st next year. I'm very excited but also a little nervous, so I would love to read lots over the summer to prepare. I already have the basics- Reading with Meaning, Daily 5, Growing Readers, and Next Step with GR, but I was wondering if any of you could recommend any other books that would be helpful for teaching 1st graders-reading, writing, or math! Would also love to hear from any teachers who also made this move! TIA!

luvtoread25

Old 06-03-2014, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use all of the books you mentioned except I do not have Growing Readers yet. I use the Daily 5 framework and our school does guided reading. I would recommend the CAFE book to go along with Daily 5. CAFE gives you strategies for decoding (accuracy), comprehension, fluency, and vocabulary. If you have the second edition of the Daily 5, it also has a chapter on the math Daily 3 format. I am going to learn more about that this summer.
You may also check out Whole Brain Teaching. I started it last year and love it. This year, several teachers jumped on board with it. The principal has been very impressed with the turn around in behavior. It helps with all procedures and every curriculum area. The book is available through Amazon both as a paperback and an ebook. The website wholebrainteaching.com also has lots of free downloads. Go to YouTube and watch some videos. I watched one and was hooked.
A few other books I like are from Scholastic: Differentiated Small-Group Reading Lessons and Month-by-Month Trait-Based Writing Instruction.
You will see so much growth in first grade. I have taught preschool and kindergarten, and worked as an educational aid in every grade from k-high school. First grade has always been my favorite. I have taught it for twelve years.
Relax, enjoy, and welcome to first grade!
luvtoread25 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Try
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Apprenticeship in Literacy and other books by the same author.

For math: look up Marilyn Burns and Kathy Richardson. They each have publications aimed at first graders.

Enjoy the firsties!
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote