The VENT

Why can't I MYOB?!

>

reflecting

reflecting

Why can't I MYOB?!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I start a new school year, I find myself already thinking about what's going on with other teachers.
I'm often frustrated with the teachers that seem to be able to do as they please.

One teacher is creepy and follows his room partner wherever she goes. She has changed grade levels several times and he changes too. This female teacher rarely collaborates with other teachers because he makes sure no one else has contact with her. He is rude and has a reputation for being inappropriate with female teachers. He also has made numerous racial slurs about another culture and our school is predominately that culture! I find his possessive behavior with this teacher to be unacceptable in a school setting. The teachers always make comments and so do some of the students. He doesn't do his own work he just copies her plans and materials. Several teachers have complained yet he is still allowed to follow this teacher. As a result of a weak administration, this teacher parades around as if he is untouchable.

Another teacher is seen as lazy and isn't respected by the staff. She refuses to do any extra duties and tries to find ways to get others to do her work. What's amazing is administration does nothing! The staff makes jokes that she is in good with the principal and that she controls him. She has made similar comments as well.

There are a few other teachers who fit into this category. I find myself really getting upset about these behaviors because it isn't fair treatment. There are several hardworking teachers who are constantly overlooked while others just do what they want.

I'm writing this because I know that I am being negative and I truly want to start the school year on a more positive note. I have so many things that I need to focus on I shouldn't be worried about these other teachers...but it just makes me upset.

Any advice?..thanks

basketball777

Old 08-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just worry about yourself and keep to yourself if necessary make sure only positive statements are stated
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

energy
Old 08-10-2014, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's not worth your time or energy to worry about these folks. Let them do as they please. We also never know what people think of us.
Savvy is online now   Reply With Quote

mrsblueberry

Yesterday,
Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yesterday, in the car, I was complaining about school, teachers, and administration etc... I have a similar situation(unfair treatment).

My 4 year old daughter chimes in from the back seat and says, out of no where, "just do your best and forget the rest." I just stared at her and shut up because she was right.
mrsblueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
reflecting

reflecting

Omg!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am literally going to post that somewhere I can see it daily!

JUST DO YOUR BEST AND FORGET THE REST!!!!

Can I set up some personal counseling sessions with your 4 year old...lol

OK_UPK

Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just do the best job you can and forget what others think and do. Sometimes a school culture is good and sometimes it is not. It is the way of the world. Be happy and do your best. Smile, best of luck.
OK_UPK is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Understand
Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

luckily (? ) I come home and vent to my roommate who then just says "don't worry about it- it's none of your business" Or ignores me which makes me mad so I storm off and get distracted doing something else

But I understand how you feel 100%!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Reads A Lot

Old 08-10-2014, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can totally relate! If it seems that someone is getting away with certain things it would make me crazy.
I finally came to the conclusion that it takes too much energy worrying about other stuff people are doing and from now on I just ignore, ignore, ignore. It seems to be working so far.
Reads A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockguykev

Old 08-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Because you're an adult with a conscience who cares about kids and their well being. You're right, there aren't many like that out there. It is much easier to be the careless ones but the kids need you.
Rockguykev is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

I can relate.....
Old 08-11-2014, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The creepy teacher needs to be dealt with, that's for sure! We had a situation where a teacher seemed to do as he/she pleased, and our P did nothing, or so we thought. What had to happen, and did, is when a few parents complained of this person's unorthodox teaching style: demeaning some kids while praising others, trying to act "cool" so kids would think he/she was on their level, etc..... The P must have been speaking about this with the Superintendent for some time. Finally, the teacher, the P and Super, had a meeting to speak about new goals, standards, literacy practices, etc... and this person got the hint, didn't like the added scrutiny (which seemed pretty late in the game to many of us) and took early retirement.

Maybe "what goes around comes around" is an apt phrase. I love the comment from the 4 year old! I know how frustrating it can be, but try to focus what good you are doing.

allier is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Stalker!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That is so awful that they let this guy do as he pleases! I once was getting followed by this super creepy guy at work and the human resources director thought it was funny. He would trail me. I know the guy had a criminal record and lived in a group home for mental issues. It was a hospital and this guy would come in to visit his sister. This guy would come into private rooms where visitors weren't allowed. He was asking around about me. Luckily, my mom also worked there and told him I quit. I saw him coming one time and hid in a mop closet. I can't imagine dealing with this guy for years. However, she needs to file a complaint to stop this guy. There isn't much you can do about it.

As to the other bums! I think we all have them. I had two near me one year in one year. Other teachers said over and over again that it was administrators job to supervise teachers, not ours. Do they always do their jobs? Clearly not. It took the one guy to have a breakdown and get removed from the building for him to leave. The other got moved to elementary school.

It was hard not to complain or do anything but it wasn't my job. As long as people are not in danger, there's nothing we could do. However, the one guy started to lead one of his female students (age 12) into this small room to make a phone call. I said, "I think she will get better reception in the hallway." I'm sorry but I learned in college, never be alone with a student. The thought of this odd man being alone with this girl didn't sit well with me.

I hope that you can tune out these deadbeats. It's really hard when some of us work so hard and are ignored. Or blamed for low achievement when the teacher below us doesn't teach for the whole school year! Have a great year in spite of these teachers. You deserve it.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

AprilDelight

Sometimes we are our own worst advocates!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I understand some of the answers on this thread (because they are the easy way out), but I don't agree with them.

If you see a "creepy" teacher like the one you described, how do you in all good conscience, ignore the pervert? Ask the victim (the other teacher) if she needs help! Document his actions.

If there are those that don't pull their weight, make subtle moves to change the environment!

This is NOT being "negative"!

If we ignore crap like this in our schools, it just continues, and it perpetuates and reinforces how "bad" our schools are.

jmo.
AprilDelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Tough situation
Old 08-17-2014, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Sorry for the anxiety you're feeling!

My advice would be to triage the problems in terms of: a) what requires your immediately attention, whether ethically or legally; b) what is in your power to make your year a positive one for yourself and your students; and c) that which is regrettable but not in your power to change.

Included in a) would be things like the suspected abuse of a student or an issue/behavior that makes you feel unsafe at school. In either case, if you see something, say something. Those are things you're morally obligated to act on or report. If the creeper you described does something in your presence to make you uncomfortable or utters a racial slur in your hearing, tell him immediately to stop, and inform him that you plan to take the matter to the principal. Invite him to come along if he wants to present his side of things. I know confronting a colleague is easier said than done, but it sounds as though this is a conversation that should have happened a long time ago, and it sounds as though the behavior merits discussion. The only thing I resent (and which is actually illegal where I work) is when someone report to the P but does it by spilling their guts behind closed doors or tries to keep their name out of it. I feel as though if it's important enough to speak up (and some things definitely are!) then speak up loudly and proudly.

Included in c) would be things that annoy you about your colleagues, but which do not fall within your area of responsibility. I don't know about you, but I'm way too busy with my own workload to manage anyone else's. I used to resent teachers (fortunately, they are a small minority where I work) who didn't do extras or who left at the bell. Then it occurred to me that the time I spent worrying or griping about them was time I could be spending making myself a better teacher or doing something to benefit students. As far as moochers who take resources and never reciprocate, disengage if it's bothering you. Keep your stuff under lock and key. I've had to do that from time to time.

As far as a teacher borrowing resources from another teacher, that's really between them.

I know one thing I've learned the hard way is not to evaluate fellow teachers without hard evidence. Kids claiming so-and-so shows too many movies or parents claiming so-and-so never grades the homework and things like that are definitely not hard evidence. I take what I hear with a grain of salt. Unless I co-teach with a person day to day and their teaching directly intersects with mine and I can see with my own two eyes what they're up to, it's really impossible to form a clear picture. I've seen a few teachers in my time smeared by student gossip and staff room innuendo, so I definitely try to steer clear of that quagmire. Again, sometimes easier said than done. I try to worry less about whether or not other teachers are up to my standard and more about whether I'm meeting or exceeding the standards I set for myself to ensure the best possible experience for students.

In terms of b) I find there's a lot I CAN do. Reflect on last year and commit to being a better teacher this year than last. Commit to trying something new and innovative in the classroom and seeing how it goes. Make friends with a staff member I haven't had too much contact with in the past or one who appears to be struggling. Volunteer to help out with an activity I know NOTHING about. This is one I first tried a number of years ago and really keeps me on my toes and changes my point of view. I find an activity that looks interesting but about which I know nothing. I approach the coach/moderator and say, "Listen, I don't know anything at all about that activity/sport/whatever, but it looks interesting. I'm great with bookkeeping and organization. Could you use my help?" It's amazing how trying something new and getting to know a new group of kids outside of a classroom context can keep you refreshed and engaged!

I'm sorry there are no easy answers. I really hope your year shapes up to be better than you're imagining.

Don't get dragged down by negativity. Despite what some would have you believe, good teachers vastly outnumber the bad, as is the case in most professions. Just as problem students constitute 5% of the student body but seem to soak up 60%+ of our professional energy at times, so it is that poor teachers make it so easy for us to take our eye off the ball. As you said, good teachers are frequently overlooked because they make it look easy and do it without fanfare. I think that reality describes a good many of us. Great teachers are like ducks. They appear to be gliding effortlessly across the pond, all the while paddling furiously below the surface while scarcely making a ripple. Few onlookers think to look twice at the duck who glides. They stop and stare, however, at the duck with one maimed wing or the aggressive alpha male who picks fights with all the other ducks.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote