Help

The VENT

Stressing a bit

>

frazzledtchr

Stressing a bit
Old 07-13-2015, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know it's only July, but I'm starting to stress about school already. Our district is realigning this year, and almost everyone within our two elementary buildings is moving, either from one building to another or within the building. I have 16 years worth of stuff thrown in boxes (because I had strep throat and a 102 degree fever while packing up!) to be unpacked and reorganized in a new classroom before the start of school, and at this point, we don't even know when we'll be able to even get into the building due to construction. On top of moving and getting a new room ready, we'll have to get used to working with new team members, and we also have to learn a new ELA curriculum. I've worked with some of our new team members before and don't have a problem with that, but it's going to be a huge change for everyone, and I don't deal well with change!

frazzledtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

jcbsmom

Some advise
Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Three years ago I was moved from my home school where I had been for 18 years. It was a very hostile move, but I regress...

When I was able to get in to my new room I was faced with more than 100 boxes which had been packed by myself and some teacher friends. While they were kept in general order (things from my stationery cupboard, monthly art, etc.) it was overwhelming. Add to that I was only a month out of knee replacement surgery so I had to get things unpacked and stored with a minimum of movement and stress. Here's what I did and it worked well. Choose a box, don't look for any one box, just take the first one you can get to. Open it and find homes for the contents before you even think about opening another. When that box is empty, go to the next. You may have to do a little juggling of items, but for the most part it'll go well. Also, as you go along, really think about the things you have and purge what you can.

As for your new team, all the best. Remember that you're all in pretty much the same boat and need to count on each other to make this a great year for you and the kidlets. Hope you have a great year!
jcbsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 07-13-2015, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I second the purging notion. After watching several colleagues pack up for retirement, I am CONVINCED that we as teachers need to have less stuff.

I went through all my boxes and purged...then every year, I re-evaluate what I really need to keep and get rid of the rest (donations, gifts to kids (old books), garbage...!)

As stressful as this could be...look at it as a opportunity to get organized. Good luck!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

stressgirl37

changes
Old 07-15-2015, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a similar situation. New school, grade, plus a knee injury! When it came time to unpack in my new room I was so overwhelmed with everything, I almost couldn't function. Luckily, I had a great friend and her teenaged daughter volunteer to help and it was a huge blessing. They got me unpacked and organized and even rearranged the furniture. Do you have someone that could help you with that part? Once that was accomplished, I could focus more on curriculum and that part of the job. Best of luck to you!
stressgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote