Help

Fifth Grade

New to Story Works

>

greenapples

New to Story Works
Old 08-26-2015, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There are so many activities with Story Works that I'm a little overwhelmed. Do you have any suggestions on which activities to make as my 'absolutes' to help me get started? Thanks in advance!

greenapples is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

Great Question!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm also a new subscriber so I'll be interested in the responses you get.
trasie is online now   Reply With Quote

swalters

Critical thinking questions
Old 08-27-2015, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I usuall pick one or two critical thinking question and have them respond. The response MUST cite evidence from the text. it reinforces the RACE structure
Restate question
Answer
Cite evidence
Expand/explain
I use the grammar here and there and the debate is great when we do opinion!!!!
swalters is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I start with vocabulary and the vocab worksheet then gradually build on from there. I model how to answer the critical thinking worksheets to show how it is to be completed. I like the opinion worksheets. I model a few, we do one as a class, then the kids do their own. You don't have to use it all! Check out the website for videos that go with the cover story.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lionpaws

Love Storyworks
Old 09-03-2015, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I usually begin by reading the story together as a class. We discuss the vocabulary prior to reading, but I don't tend to use the vocabulary sheets. Sometimes there is a video clip about how the author researched for the story piece, or there is a real life connection to something in the story, so I love to use those as a way to spark interest and set a purpose for reading. They are always worth it.

After we have read the story, I use the Close Reading sheets by having the students work with a partner and reread the piece looking for text evidence. We then discuss the answers as a whole group and compare what each group found.

Depending on what other skill sheets are available, I may assign one as independent practice.

As a final assessment, I use the quizzes. Although I don't let the kids know specifically what is on the quiz, I always preview the quiz as there are some questions that are extremely specific. When reading the passage, I always make sure to emphasize those particular ideas and make sure those are a focus of our whole group discussion. Sometimes we will review the story the day before the quiz and we highlight main ideas, important events, etc.

That is a general way that I move through most stories in the magazine, and I would say those are probably my absolutes. Sometimes I change up the routine, but that is a quick thumbnail of how I approach it. I think the skill sheets and quizzes are challenging but not overwhelming. I think the quizzes really give me an idea of who is comprehending the story and our discussions.

Lionpaws is offline   Reply With Quote

greenapples

story works help
Old 09-07-2015, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

thanks to all who responded. Your replies have helped me tremendously.
greenapples is offline   Reply With Quote

mimi6

Jealous
Old 09-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I looked at it online and it seems to have some great articles...our school cannot afford to subscribe, though. It appears that I would have to order a minimum of 10 but that would be $70.
mimi6 is offline   Reply With Quote