Help

BusyBoard

What would you be doing tonight?

>

believeinyou

What would you be doing tonight?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think I've lost myself in the past years of becoming a teacher. I honestly thought I would find myself, but I think I'm very lost.

The thought just crossed my mind as I'm grading papers, searching for ideas and thinking about tomorrows plans, WHAT would I be doing if I weren't a teacher? Would I have a hobby? Would I have a life? What would it be like to not have to bring home work every night just so you can finish your day? Would Pinterest be such a big part of my life? Would my room look like a bedroom instead of a 2nd classroom? Would I have $$ to do things? What would it be like to go into a store and not look at things and wonder how they could be used in the classroom? What would it be like to work around adults and have adult conversations again?

How do you find a balance? I don't even exercise anymore because I'm just so emotionally and physically drained by the end of the day I can't even bring myself to do it.

How do you know when it's taken over your life and you need something else? How do you know the difference between dedication and stupidity? I mean seriously, if my bosses way back when would have said "take this home and bring it back completed tomorrow". I would have told them forget it. Now it's a nightly thing and expected. Work late, take work home, work on weekends, come in on weekends.... when does it stop!

believeinyou is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm right there with you!

I group texted my siblings on Sunday. I was in my classroom working from 11-5.

One was in Yellowstone with a friend. One was visiting Chapel Hills in NC with his family. Another was enjoying a football game, and another was in his yard working.

I felt envious. Even though I just got off of summer vacay.

Once school begins, I get Sat. off and work late into the evenings. I do very little else.

I get it. I don't have an answer for you.

I like to think I'd be doing a lot more/living a more exciting life. But...who knows. Maybe I'd still be tired and just veg in front of the t.v. all night. (Not my thing...so maybe it's a good thing I'm a teacher, lol).
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Yes!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last night I worked on emails regarding students in my class with immediate needs. I couldn't get to them during the day because of no time. That didn't count looking for some math homework and, this morning, updating and printing my planbook. I have totally lost my identity as anything other than a teacher. Worse, this year I'm very mindful of the fact that I'm grinding my teeth at night, every night. It has to do with a huge class and tons of needs, I figure. I don't know how to stop it, other than to find another career. I'm thinking about it. Again.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-01-2015, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It stops when you make it stop.

I quit taking work home about three years ago. I've been much happier because of it, and I still get everything that needs to be done finished. I work on planning. I stay after one day a week until 5 or 6, or I come in on Sunday afternoon for a few hours.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

You may have answered your own question
Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It sounds as if you already know that teaching has already taken over your life, and you know you need to make a change
Quote:
How do you know when it's taken over your life
It is so easy to let this happen. Teachers have so many demands, and yet we want to do our best to meet each and every one of those demands.

I have seen some awesome posts by others who have shared ideas on how they cut their time on task with the details of teaching.

You're going to think this is nuts, but I hope you try it anyway. I honestly do know the mental and physical exhaustion at the end of the day. If you miss exercise, do it anyway. Just try a time or two. I believe you will find you are re-energized after exercising. Just don't get tempted to do more school work with that new found energy!

It is not easy to cut back and try to find a better balance in life, but it is the healthy thing to do. Wishing you the best in figuring this out. You can do it!

Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

silly billy

I second that
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel like I could have written everything you just said. Bookmarking this for suggestions! I would love for my teacher life to be separate from my personal life, my ME time.
silly billy is offline   Reply With Quote

frazzledtchr

I hear ya
Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

After only 6 days back, I'm exhausted and stressed out. I became a teacher not just because I enjoy working with kids, but to be home with my family during summers and holidays. Now I feel like my own kids never see me. :-(
frazzledtchr is offline   Reply With Quote