Help

Fifth Grade

Number of grades in gradebook

>

puzzle1mom

Number of grades in gradebook
Old 10-07-2015, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I received an email from my p today that he did not feel I had enough grades in my gradebook across the board. We are in the 7th week of school and I have 6 - 8 grades per subject (I teach math, science, and religion) at this point. My P wants us to have 3 to 4 grades per category per quarter. We have to have at least 3 categories per subject (class work, quizzes, tests, PBLs, etc). I am feeling like I have to grade things just to have grades. I spoke with another math teacher today who felt that it's harder to grade math because a lot of what we do is practicing new skills. I'm just frustrated. Do any of you have a system that works for you? I don't know how I'm supposed to get a minimum of 9 to 12 meaningful grades per subject in a quarter that is only 9 weeks long! BTW - we are not allowed to use participation grades....

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

greenapples

not enough grades
Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I'd politely inform the p that I use a variety of assessments, including anecdotal records, professional observation, student conferences, etc., to obtain my overall (professional) assessment of a child's progress.
greenapples is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Exit card
Old 10-09-2015, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could create exit cards based on your daily lesson or practice and use these as a quiz grade. Or you can create a test based on your current lesson and include questions from a previous test that could be used as a quiz grade (students should save and correct previous tests) this way you are spiraling your lessons.

I feel your pain!!
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 10-09-2015, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm sympathetic but have it worse. We're supposed to have 2 grades per week per subject for a total of 18 grades!
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

I hate grades and gradebooks!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sorry, this is more of a vent than actually in help!

I HATE grades and grade books for that matter. Seriously. Maybe I'm naive or have too high of expectations for myself, but when I give something and a student is struggling on it/hasn't mastered it, my first reaction is to ask myself what they aren't getting and what I can do to build off of what they know or how the are thinking to help them understand. Yes, sometimes students are at fault for not getting it or for a poor grade due to lack of effort or attention, but sometimes, the teacher just needs to find a different way! It's not anyone's fault, it's just a fact. Then, let's say I find a new way of teaching it that makes sense to them, should they really be "punished" for not understanding it in the way I first taught it? An exit card for example, is clearly showing student understanding, and as a teacher, I should look through them and use them to guide my instruction. BUT...why should I grade it for the grade book? Isn't the point of the exit card to see who doesn't get it, who does get it, and then modify instruction accordingly? Why should a student receive a grade then? Yet, when teachers are required to have a certain number of scores, then things like this happen. Things that should really be used to guide instruction, become used as a grade book piece.

We use standard-based grading. I like it because different students master things at different times. Also, I feel the score more accurately represents what the kid knows and can do. With letter grades, for math for instance, two kids could have a D. One could have a D because he or she went too fast, making silly mistakes, getting a lot of things wrong. Another kid could have a D because he or she truly didn't get it. I feel standard based grading differentiates between this more. I get mad though because, while I get that we should be recording things as we evaluate progress towards learning targets throughout the quarter, we are told to have an online grade book that parents can access. Well, as teachers, we know that with standard-based grading, you look at the whole picture. However, parents may think it should be more like an average and that can throw parents off and provide misinformation if they are looking at the online grade book. Also, in the beginning of learning a standard, students are often 1s and 2s. They work their up to 3s, but it takes time. Some parents get alarmed, and even blame the teacher.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

grades
Old 10-09-2015, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't understand. It sounds like you have what he's asking for. In 7 weeks of school you have 7 (average) grades per subject. Isn't that what he's asking you to have?

We teach Mon.-Thurs., then have a test on Friday. That gives us 9 grades each quarter.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

suebee77

On target
Old 10-10-2015, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You sound on target to me. We are not allowed to grade homework and actually were told to have fewer grades. Interesting!
suebee77 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachgirl70

Yikes!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Can you give each student a homework grade for the quarter? I would just grade it based on if they did it or not, rather than counting point on each hw assignment. So if they mostly handed in hw, it's a B. If they always did their hw, it's an A.

I think you have plenty of grades for such a short 1st term. I taught a special subject and was told I need 6 official graded items each term for a report card, classroom participation included.

HTH.
beachgirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachgirl70

Ugh!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

With typical class sizes, that means you're grading 450 things per week!! Insanity!!!

I knew some teachers who used socrative and scantron quizes to avoid having to grade more things - they were English teachers and there are no shortcuts for reading papers.
beachgirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote