Help

Third Grade

Wonders- keep a notebook?

>

stressgirl37

Wonders- keep a notebook?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are using Wonders for the first time this year. We had a very brief training (a few hours) where we went through the main points. We will then have a follow-up 6-8 weeks into the school year.

As I'm reading through the first unit, I see a lot of handouts that sound like kids should keep for reference and also a lot of note taking. There was mention of a notebook. I'm trying to get as much ready prior to school starting, so I'm wondering if a 3 ring binder would be best and add hand outs and notes as they come or maybe a spiral notebook for more of a journal feel, or both?

Any input from teachers that have used Wonders is greatly appreciated.

stressgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horse6268

Wonders
Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm at the same place as you are. I'm planning on using a journal/notebook. There are so many student resources to managed. We piloted another series that had cardboard storage for each student. I'm thinking of putting those in magazine holder for each student. I hope I can find the room. Good luck this year.
Horse6268 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

2 years into Wonders...
Old 08-08-2016, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are not that many handouts...The beginning 2 weeks of the school year (Smart Start) have a lot of handouts but then once Unit 1 starts it significantly lowers. My class has a Readers Workshop folder that they keep the weekly handouts, graphic organizers, worksheets, etc... This works well for us - They turn in their papers weekly (thus it gets cleaned out frequently). Inside the folders there are 2 sides: Green dot (literally they make a circle/dot with a green crayon) for "a work in progress" and the Red dot side: "Completed / Finished".

My students struggle with organization so in my experience the simpler the system the better. I also spend a lot of time in the beginning of the year modeling how to put papers in our folders. I also stress from the beginning taking pride/ownership in our work = professionalism. I will not accept work that is "rumpled, crumpled, wrinkled or crinkled". It's funny how the students hate how "strict" I am, but soon they are reminding their neighbor to take care of their things. ;-)

Also, each student has a "Reader's Notebook". Again I spend so much time modeling how to set up the pages, use the margins, write the titles, answer questions. Anchor charts!!

This system has worked well for my class. I tweak my routines every year, I'm sure I'll make adjustments as I get to know my new class. Hope this helps ;-)
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

forgot to mention...
Old 08-08-2016, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check out the Reading Wonders group - it has a lot of info and questions about all things Wonders. I stumbled upon it my first year with Wonders and it was a treasure trove!!
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote