Help

Classroom Management

End of the day/ closing circle

>

ilovetoteach!

End of the day/ closing circle
Old 07-24-2016, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

With the new school year approaching I really need to do something about the end of the day. Last year was complete chaos. Some have end of the day jobs to do but not everyone. I was thinking about doing a closing circle. I teach 2nd grade. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .. Thanks :-)

ilovetoteach! is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach-Hope

Closing the day without Chaos
Old 07-25-2016, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know exactly what you mean. Chaos is my enemy and the end of the day always seems to be where it gets stirred up. I always feel like packing up and getting out the door goes best if I do two things.

The first is that I make sure my expectations are really really clear. If they are not completing an end of the day job they are chilling out with some Zen-tangle art. Early in the year we did some zen-tangle artwork and throughout the year the kids loved to have it as a calming choice. During pack-up time they always had access to a half sheet of paper and most would choose to work on a new zen-tangle piece or something they started the day before.

The second is that I set up some sort of competition. Sometimes we will have a boy vs. girls contest for who can be the quietest. I've also had table team competitions or silly things like they can't make eye contact with anyone and I'm looking for someone who avoids eye contact with all kids. This keeps them quiet and focused on what they need to get done. At the end I announce the winner or the winning team and sometimes I will give them a sticker or just let them line up first.

I hope this is helpful! Good luck in the new year!!

Hope
Teach-Hope is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 07-25-2016, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you familiar with Responsibility Training and PAT? Closing circle might act as PAT for hustling and completing jobs to your standards.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-26-2016, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We do assignment notebooks and pack up. Kids are dismissed to check their mailboxes and go to their lockers as I initial their notebooks so they're not all going at once. This staggers the number of kids at the mailboxes and in the hall which cuts down on the chaos.

When they have all their things, they put their chairs up and meet me on the rug and we do read aloud. Ending the day on a nice, quiet note like read aloud allows for a controlled dismissal and it also allows the kids to decompress and settle down before dismissal.

It also gives us a chance to discuss anything that needs to be discussed, last minute announcements, etc.

It's quite nice for everyone, myself included.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

sac3rd

King and Queen of Silence Game
Old 07-27-2016, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This game is amazing to end your day with. I have done this game with both 1st and 3rd graders, so I think your students will love it. Rules: the teachers chooses the most silent and still student to go to the front of the class to be the King or Queen of Silence. Then that King or Queen looks around the room and chooses the most silent and still student to be the next one, and so forth. I am telling you, this game WORKS! And it can go on for as long or short as you want. Even 3rd graders loved it. And if the dismissal bell rings before the chosen King or Queen had their turn, just write that kid's name on the board to remember for the next time you play.

sac3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

ilovetoteach!

Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for the suggestions :-) Teach-Hope

ilovetoteach!

Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

not familiar at all.. Fenwick

ilovetoteach!

Old 07-27-2016, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thats pretty much what I attempted to do last year... My boys had other ideas about listening to any sort of read aloud :-( I even let them choose ! Greyhoundgirl .. PS they are the best dogs!!

ilovetoteach!

Old 07-27-2016, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Really good idea!! sac3rds definitely going to try this

brownbear

Old 07-28-2016, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a Smartboard so I turn Peep and Quack on for the students to watch. Then the hallway monitor gets their mailbox items and locker items first. Then I call names based on mailbox order. If a student has their name on the hallway monitor's list, they get a Dojo point down. If no one gets their name on the list, the whole class gets a Dojo point up.

brownbear is offline   Reply With Quote

stressgirl37

end of day quiet
Old 07-30-2016, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use another version of a quiet game, entitled "The Quiet Game" I use this with my third graders.

Very simple- I announce we're now play the Quiet Game. Sometimes if getting out of seats is an issue I call it the Quiet Stay in Your Seat Game. We do this while I pass out homework and they are writing in their planners and getting things in order at their desks. If I hear any sound, I make a note and whichever group can last without talking/making sounds, gets table points. If a table continues to talk, they may get negative points. As we stack and pack, we sometimes play another round.
stressgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

End of the Day
Old 07-30-2016, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have a poster that says what to do at the end of the day (pack-up, pick up the floor, straighten your desk, etc...). You could add in "jobs" for the students who do have it. How long do the jobs take?

I give out a piece of candy at the end of the day for anyone who didn't clip down (we use the clip chart method for discipline). I won't give out the candy until everyone is finished and the floor is clean, etc... It really motivates them.

They get their candy, then everyone sits quietly in their desks while I do a read aloud. I always do books a little above their reading level so it's not something they would pick up themselves. It's a very quiet ending to the day. I just read until the bell rings - then I put a sticky note where I stopped since it's rarely at a good stopping place.

I plan to do the same thing this year - it's worked well for a few years now. I teach 3rd, but I'd do the same thing with 2nd.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 08-05-2016, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also teach second grade. After everyone is packed up, I either play hang man using a word from the word wall or I take out my Brain Quest cards and ask them questions. Sometimes I have them read silently at their seat. Three or four minutes before the bell rings, I have them stand up, put their backpack on, and put their chair up. I then say, "quiet students will be allowed to line up." Once I see a student that is quiet and ready, they are called to line up at the door.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr474

Closing circle idea
Old 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

A great idea that you could try is using a "What's your temp" closing activity. You would have the students sit in a circle and each child would rate how they feel at the end of the day, or what his or her "temp" is. You would use some sort of talking stick, like a microphone or stuffed animal to ensure that the students are quiet and only the child with the talking stick could speak. As for rating, a one would be confused or felt that he or she had a bad day and five would be feeling great and on track. I think this is a great way to calm the students down at the end of the day, create a cohesive classroom environment, and it allows you to evaluate where the students are.

Hope this helps!
tchr474 is offline   Reply With Quote