Thoughts/Opinions

>

missyikes

missyikes

Thoughts/Opinions
Old 08-28-2016, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All!

I am a student teacher in a 5th grade class. My Master Teacher asked me to come up with a book and project for one of the book clubs in class. I was thinking of using the book Bridge to Terabithia. Any thoughts in regards to this book? I am totally up for suggestions of other novels, as well as "projects" to go along with them. When I mentioned the book I was thinking about to my MT he simply nodded his head a chuckled (I don't know what to make of that). PLEASE HELP ME! I am starting to feel a tad overwhelmed.

greenapples

book club
Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure what to make of his reaction. My advice is to let it go. I'm not sure which state you are in, but maybe you could find a historical fiction book that fits your social studies standards. A google search should give you some ideas. This way you are integrating subject areas. As for projects, take a look at his files and notice the types of projects he has done in the past. If he has no record of them, make one up that incorporates some art or drama. Remember, new teachers have a creative spark to bring to the table. Trust your instincts on what kids will enjoy doing that shows mastery of the standard. Good luck!
greenapples is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 08-29-2016, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi missyikes!

I don't mean to sound confused, but what does "projects" mean to your MT? Is it a bunch of worksheets complete with vocabulary definitions, ways to respond to the text, something like a science board at the end, or something completely different? Are you a 1:1 school? That might help with the "projects."

I'm guessing he chuckled because it is a "typical" choice and maybe he was hoping for something more out of the box? Or perhaps you didn't consider the reading level of the children in the group- maybe they are low or high readers? Do they read on grade level?

Is there a set reading curriculum where you student teach?

Hope I just didn't overwhelm you more, just trying to get some more perspective on the problem!
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote