Help

First Grade

To those who do hybrid for first grade

>

linda2671

To those who do hybrid for first grade
Old 12-19-2020, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been doing remote teaching the entire year so far. I do live reading groups, live social groups and two live check-ins a day. I record math, science, and social studies lessons and do live calls to any kids who need extra help in anything. It's working very well. 9 out of 15 are reading above grade level, and the other 6 are just below.
Now I've been told that I have to teach hybrid for the rest of the year. I'm looking for help. How do you teach live and online at the same time? Most of my kids' Internet is poor during live calls with large groups. It kicks kids off and is choppy and lagging. The lessons I record and send to them work well. They don't have any problems with those. I'm very frustrated because I feel like what I was doing was working so well, and now they want to change it. Administrators refuse to let my kids who are coming back go into other classrooms, although it would only be one kid per class. I would still have 11 kids online, and my colleagues would have 15 in person.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-19-2020, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We might be coming back in person with small groups hybrid. All classes will have remote and hybrid students. Hybrid being 2 days a week. We found early on that if students are not online, generally, they don't get any work done-very few have parents who can sit there and work with them all day long. I think the older grades will do okay, but wondering how to help the younger grade levels get ready for that.

Do you prerecord your lessons? My initial thought is that I would still do that for the remote students. I might even have the in-person students do that also, and focus my in-person teaching on individualized assistance/differentiation. Planning a couple of times where you check in with the remote students while the in-person have other tasks to do.

But I am curious how others are doing it so I can help our own teachers prepare. Our k-1 for the most part are doing paper packets that are picked up with short lessons online. Much of it is either paper/whiteboard/hold up answers. They are doing very little actually online activities.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote