Help

Fourth Grade

Series of Unfortunate Events?

>

Winn-Dixie

Series of Unfortunate Events?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is this still a popular series? Among 4th graders? I am moving to 4th grade and am building up my library to make it good for this grade level. I got the 6 books tonight for under $6. Even if they don't like it, it's a good deal.

I'm going to scour yard sales, Goodwill, etc this summer for books!

Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Yes!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had a couple of students who have been interested in the series. I only have the first 3 or 4 books so I'm looking into completing my collection.
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 07-01-2012, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd say so. Most kids I know 4th-6th grades enjoy at least the first one. They seem to burn out after 4 or 5 in the series, I have the whole series and only a few kids have read them all. I think there is a classic appeal to them.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

yep
Old 07-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My fourth graders love them. They are excellent books for vocabulary, idioms, common phrases - I read the entire series with my gifted third graders. Toward the end of the year, when those who'd been reading them started telling others, I had a waiting list for them!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Winn-Dixie

Old 07-01-2012, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you! I'm so excited to be moving to 4th grade. I'm not making a big jump, just coming up from 3rd. However I felt like my library last year was not adequate for my kids at the end of the year. I had voracious readers that I had never experienced before!! Last year was also the first year I had students reading above grade levwl. Normally I had below grade level students, and they never got into more complicated chapter books.

With the exception of 3 years in lower grades, I've always been a 3rd grade teacher. I'm looking forward to what 4th grade will bring!

Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Shash821

Congrats
Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Congratulations on your move to fourth. I, too, am moving to fourth after spending several years teaching third.

I have many of the books in that series, but my third graders for the past few years didn't seem to be too interested in them. I have personally read the first few in the series, and enjoyed them. I'm anxious to see if fourth graders will enjoy them.
Shash821 is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

YES! I read the first one aloud to my class, and they all checked it out of the library to follow along. Then begged for the second one! So I highly recommend them.
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

IHeartDogs

Old 07-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I LOVE The Series of Unfortunate Events! I taught third grade for 8 years (I will be starting my second year teaching fourth grade this year). I always read this series to my third graders. At about mid-way through the first one, they were hooked. I think it would be great for fourth graders as well. In the past, I've read aloud the entire series (or most of it), and I found that many students would start checking out the other books and reading the series on their own before I was able to read them aloud, so now I will just read the first few books and my students will start reading the rest on their own.

Lemony Snicket uses very rich vocabulary and uses a lot of more sophisticated humor that older students might be able to appreciate. I also found the series to be good for modeling thinking aloud as I read. Each book provides a great mystery for students.
IHeartDogs is offline   Reply With Quote