Do you eat with your family every night at the dinner table? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Do you eat with your family every night at the dinner table?

>

Familynights

Familynights

Do you eat with your family every night at the dinner table?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you eat dinner with your family every night at the dinner table? Or is this a dissolving trend in the US due to oversheduled children, workaholics and everyone trying to get ahead?

treetoad

Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

no matter what our family eats together - since I teach in a k-12 building I often run home and get the crockpot meal and bring it back to school-boys leave football practice and have half hour before play practice or a music practice so hubs gets home at 6:00 and comes directly to the school and we eat and all go from there. this has been our life for years in the fall. Hubs leaves for work before we get up so this is our only chance to visit and we make the most of it. If not we eat out.

MiddlingAZ

Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

DH and I eat together every night either at the table or in a restaurant, but more often in front of the TV, watching the news and Jeopardy We talk a lot about what's on and it's relaxing and enjoyable to both of us. We do eat out several nights a week and talk, too. When our kids were here, we always ate at the table or the occasional night out, and when they come for a visit, of course we always eat at the table.

penguin1113

Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's just me and DH for right now. We mainly eat in front of the TV and watch Seinfeld.

knitting987

Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My dh was raised to eat with the tv on so that is what he insist upon when the kids are in bed. My dh works as a nurse at gets home about 8:30 most nights. The other 4 days we all eat at the table with the kids.

NCteacher

Old 09-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

DH, DS and I eat at the kitchen table every single night. Candles lit on more nights than not (because DS who is 3 thinks that all candles are for birthdays and we think it is cute). Serving dishes and a set table. It is how I grew up and I like it as a tradition. I once showed my 3rd graders a picture of DS at our table and the kids all thought it was Thanksgiving. They couldn't believe that people would eat together like that every night.

mhugs

It is a lost art...
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

we all ate together until youngest was in middle school. Hubs was working odd shift, DD was in multiple sports, and I was going to school 4 nights a week.

The phone wasn't answered, the TV was off, and no matter how simple the meal we ate at the table. Actually miss that. When we ran the Group Home for Teenage girls...every night was a sit down meal except Sunday. That meal was grilled cheese, and simple stuff so we had it in the den. Many of the girls had never eaten at a table.

Once in a while, we'd set the table with extra forks, spoons, etc. and practice FANCY DINING! Our dear sweet Terry was so glad she learned what fork to use etc. She was invited to a formal dinner with her university president's family and the head of her science department.

I grew up eating in the dining room every night and on a table cloth.
Back when they had to be ironed.

Silvergu

Yes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Most nights we eat together. It is our only sit down meal togetther. My 5 year old sets the table and tries to help with meal preparation; mostly, as a taste tester. We do have the tv on in the background but we all sit at the dinner table. Old fashioned, yes. But I love this time together.

chickpea

No but we are together.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do not eat a big dinner as I eat small meals several times during the day.

I do make sure that my children have a healthy meal each night and I spend a significant amount of time talking with them and relaxing together. We severely limit extracurricular activities so our children are not overscheduled and we are not harried wrecks.

I am a big believer in QUANTITY time versus the silly idea of quality time. Quality moments happen when families spend significant amounts of time together daily.

love_to_learn

Yes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, we eat together every night.

neanea

Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It is hard to eat together at the table anymore. Between, dh's work schedule (2 times a week he is not home for supper), ds1's work schedule (he works 1-2 evenings a week) and ds2's work and sports schedule it is now rare that all 6 of us are home at dinner time.

When dh is home for supper, I make whomever is home eat at the dinner table with the family. When dh works the evening, I am more relaxed and we take our plate wherever we want (tv, computer, etc).

tpateacher

yes
Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I grew up with family dinner every night and plan to continue with my own kids. Right now DH often works late so sometimes I will eat before he gets home but then sit with him at the table when he eats. We eat with our extended families on the weekends.

teacherpippi

Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We always eat together!

teacher.kate

Old 09-24-2012, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Yes, every single night, and when it was just DH and I (before kids) we did then too. I think it is important, but even more so when you have kids.

MAsped

Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Before I moved out on my own, my parents & I hadn't eaten at the dining table in ages. They'd eat at TV tables in their room upstairs & I'd eat at my TV table in the den. We'd all be watching our own TV. The only time we'd eat together is if we went out to dinner.

bonteach

We try...
Old 09-24-2012, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

During football season, it is difficult, with DS playing and DH coaching. I try to make sure we do as often as possible... when we actually do, we linger and chat. When the boys were younger, we did every night. I will often light candles and use serving dishes. I do think it is important...

hopeful10

We would
Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

if we could. DH and I work completely opposite shifts. When I get home at 5:30pm DH is just starting work We only get to see each other Friday nights and during the day, from 12-6, on the weekends. We ate out Friday night and I was able to cook us dinner Sat and Sun before DH left for work. If we could eat together during the week we definitely would.

Amy L

Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We - dh, dd, ds, self- eat dinner together every day but one. We have to split up guys and girls that night due to sports. We do think it's important, whenever possible.

Tiffany

dinner
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Yes, we eat together every night at the dinner table.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Some of my fondest childhood memories are sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner with my parents and brother. We always ate together, TV off, phone ignored, during dinner.

SusanTeach

No
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

We did when the kids were younger, but now they work evenings, dh works late, etc... We usually eat in the living room in front of the TV - whomever is home.

Every now and then we'll eat at the table - more often for breakfast than any other meal.

I do NOT answer my phone when we're eating - no matter where we are.

aggiemomx2

dinner at the table
Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

In our family, we eat at the table with the family. Even if you are not hungry, sit with us and drink a glass of tea. I don't usually put the food on the table. I leave it on the stove or cabinet and we can serve from there. It is the family time! We even let the phones wait unless we are expecting an important call. No TV either. We recently have an empty nest and DH and I still sit at the table.

If he has to work late, it is ok to eat without him, but once he gets home I sit with him while he eats.
Love my family time!
I asked the kids at school this Q and only 10% of the 130 students eat at the table.

choppie70

Old 09-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We eat together at the table every night! DH works from 9pm - 5:30 am so he is usually sleeping when I get home from work. He gets up to eat and then sometimes will go back to sleep for a bit after.

Both my parents and DH's parents were both all about eating as a family at the table and we feel the same way. If DD (17) has something going on, we will hold dinner until she is home and all eat together. There have been times when it was after 8:00, but we all ate together.

hand

Yes
Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

On most days we do. No TV or cell phones allowed. Sometimes we eat really late because of a practice. I think it has kept us close as a family and really encourages the kids to talk about their lives.

luckysanders

Yes!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

The childre are away from home on Wednesday nights but other than that, we eat together. On Sundays, we ALWAYS have 3 generations together for dinner. That's when they really practice those good table manners.

NCLATeacher

Dinner
Old 09-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

We eat at the table or breakfast bar. There have been a few times that DH has had to work through dinner and will eat at his desk, but I still sit at the table.

Cmommy

Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Yep - we eat supper together every night. It is the only meal we are all together at.

LilMsSunshine

We do!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

We do! Our children are still young (3 & 4, and one on the way), and I really want to instill this habit in them. It is so important! Even if DH or I am not hungry, we sit while the rest of the family eats. When it was just DH and I, we would always eat together, but never at the table. It was not until our oldest started eating solids that we became committed to it. It was something that my family did growing up, and I love it!

I know that as the kids start getting older and involved in more activities, it will happen less and less. I am going to hold on as long as I can though! I love it

rana712

Do not
Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

And this made me feel so guilty as my girls were growing up. But because one daughter was a two sport child (school, followed a half an hour later by club) and the other child worked, we would have been eating dinner at 9-10 o'clock. My husband worked on the other side of the city and had a long commute and I was the transporter. So, short of Sunday dinners, we did not eat dinner together. But... we ate breakfast together nearly every weekday morning. Sit down at the table. The kids turned out AOK! One college graduate and one on her way.

Sam5

Old 09-24-2012, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

My husband worked extremely long hours so the kids and I always ate dinner together. He ate much later. When the kids were in high school we ate 3-4 times a week together, but not all the time.

hoppalong

Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Yes, we always eat dinner together at the dinner table. DH starts work at 5:30 p.m., so as soon as DS and I get home from school we all sit down together to eat. Many times it's a crockpot dinner that gets prepped in the morning before we leave, and sometimes it's a meal that DH has prepared. As several PPs mentioned, no TV or phones are allowed to interrupt us. No matter how rough, exhausting, or trying the day has been, it's nice to know there is a time for just "us."

Ima Teacher

Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I always did growing up. Even when I lived with my parents after I graduated from college, we still ate together every night.

My ex-husband and I always cooked together and ate together.

alvin

Every night
Old 09-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Of course, some nights we don't eat until 8:00. We have a small snack like carrots or cheese and crackers to tide us over. We always ate together growing up too.

gege1

:)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

It's just me and my Four yr old nephew!! So yes we eat together every night watching his Shows which will consist of Nina and Star / Calliou / Brenstain Bearss on Sprout!! Or Diego or Dora / wonder pets on Nick Jr. Lol its always his time to watch his shows up to 8:30!!!! And we talk about what happens in his class or how he's saving to buy his Own XBox.... So every night he has to know how much money he has and how much more he needs..... He earns quarters everyday for putting away his school shoes and clothes also obeying with his hands and feet in school!!! !

mamacanteach

Old 09-24-2012, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Yes, most of the time! Occasionally my son is so tired I feed him first and send him to bed early then we eat after he's in bed. Also once in a while my son and I eat without my husband, this is only when he joins his father for dinner at the nursing home (can't say he's not a family man!) It isn't easy but I'm hoping we can swing it at least 5-6 nights a week.

Laura

Every night
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

DH is out of town about 3 out of four weeks a month so children and I eat together. One's job is to set the table and another is to clean it off. FYI tonight's dinner dishes are still in the sink. Someone did not do their job!

Lakeside

Old 09-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Quote:
Do you eat dinner with your family every night at the dinner table?
No. Sometimes we do, but sometimes we each eat when we are hungry and do our own thing.

It used to bother me when I'd read articles saying that my child was going to end up on drugs if we didn't eat together every night, but I've finally come to realize that family bonding does not have to revolve around food.

pro/new2grade

yep - every night
Old 09-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

we always eat together at the table - although at varying times. On multiple sport nights or scout nights it may be close to 8:00 before we sit down to eat -- but we always do. No phones or TV during dinner. Our kids know that they need to schedule things in their power (events with friends) around being home by dinner time.

We also all eat breakfast together in the morning -- DH and the older girls get ready first and eat with us just before they leave, while the younger 2 and I get up and eat first thing then watch them running around and we don't get ready until they are all out the door. DH has a long commute and the girls get on the HS and MS buses pretty early.

I always feel unsettled when my DH or one of the 4 kids is missing from the dinner table. It just doesn't feel right. I will have trouble with the empty nest in just a few years.

Also, we always sit at our same seats -- friends think this is weird, but all of my kids have "their seat" and we never stray from that.

Spedqn1

About 90%
Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

If the DD's are home (and not with their dad) we almost always do. The exceptions would be Friday nights (take out or fend for yourself night if we don't go out) and the occasional Sunday when we have " snacky suppers." Winter Sundays tend to be good snacks all day and football. We' re all together, just in the family room watching tv. Actually, those are their favorite days...

MKat

Old 09-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Every night that it's possible we do. DH and I also eat at the table if the kids are both gone.

I thought the same seat thing was the norm. That's what we had growing up and what we've had in our home as well. We've changed it up now that we have older kids though and we have our 4 people configuration, our 3 people configuration, and our 2 people configuration. When one of the boys brings one or more friends it changes again.

We're getting used to quite a few meals with it just being dh and I. One of our kids is off to college and the other is a senior in high school. However we still eat together if they're home. I often get a phone call asking what's for dinner and how many extra people they can bring though!

When my kids were little, they had friends who thought we were "fancy" because we were eating together. We only have an informal dining table because we use the formal dining space as a den. Many of my kid's friends were the opposite- their family only had a formal dining space.

rebeccav

Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

We do. With hubby's new job he isn't always home for dinner on Monday night's, but we make his plate and include him in dinner prayers.

chronicfun

most of the time
Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

yes we do. Sad to judge those who cannot or choose not to. Families can bond and connect in many different ways.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Sometimes it ends up being late, like 7 or 8 PM, but most nights we try to do that.

Nancy

crazy4catz

Eating together
Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Yes we pretty much eat together very night. When the boys were in marching band we just ate before they went to practice. When they worked those who were not working ate together. We always ate together on Sundays. we over the years have eaten together. This is when most of our good discussions happen.

EllaKate

Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

We do every night. Although now it is just DH and I, and sometimes HS DS (17). He has a job now so isn't at home too much for dinner time during the week but even when he comes home I'll sit with him at the table while he eats. When DH and I got married, we ate together on tv trays (those metal ones!!!) in front of tv. Then when we had kids we began eating at the kitchen table.

I grew up eating together everynight. We had a small tv on a stand in the kitchen so my dad could watch Gunsmoke on Monday nights.

Even now, oldest DS, who lives out of state, will call during dinner and want to know what we are eating.

Ima Spedtcher

We do
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

We eat together just about every night. About once a month or so we will eat on a blanket in the living room and watch a movie (picnic in the living room). Sometimes not everyone can be there (DH working evening, DD at a school event, I may have a late meeting) but everyone who is home together eats together for dinner.

vateacher

Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Every night my dh and I decide if we are eating like grownups (at the table) or heathens (on the couch). Now that we have a baby eating solids, we find ourselves being grownups a lot more.

Kathcha

When my kids were growing up
Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

We always did every night and it was usually by around 5 and had nice conversation and no tv, etc. Now that the kids are out of the house, I hate to say it but my dh and i end up eating so late many nights, not until around 8-9pm when we both finally get in. Whoever gets in first cooks. By that time, we are so famished we inhale it at the kitchen counter or are so tired we eat in front of the tv and collapse. We've usually had our conversation while it's cooking. On weekends it's different and we eat like civilized adults at home or a restaurant with family or friends.