Help

The VENT

Duct tape? And on facebook? Really?

>

GdHrtdTchr

Duct tape? And on facebook? Really?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Did I hear correctly on the news that an Ohio teacher put duct tape on some MS students' mouths, took photos, POSTED THIS ON FACEBOOK with the comment, "I finally found a way to make them shut up." REALLY???????

I know we've all had some difficult students and some bad days and maybe even had a secret fantasy about how to get a talker quiet, but how could someone really do this? And then POST it!!!???!!!!

This sorta thing just makes it so much easier for the public to assault us/teachers in general.

Please tell me I heard it wrong on the news. They said she said it was suppose to be funny, but was bad judgment. (????)

GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

From what I understand, the students put duct tape on their mouths and asked her to take a picture. Her mistake was to put it on facebook.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-teache...ry?id=18283887
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Suezie
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is correct. The students put the tape on themselves. The teacher took the pictures and posted to fb. It was in poor judgement to post pictures of students on a personal fb page, but I don't think she should lose her job. However since teachers are not allowed to have any lapse in judgment that is exactly what might happen.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Duct tape Follow-up
Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both for clarifying. I'd agree...Bad judgment call, indeed, but not quite as bad as how it was presented (or at least I understood it) initially.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree, the mistake was posting the photos on FB. I would NEVER post photos of my students on FB, not even "normal" photos. I don't ever even mention my job on FB.

Apart from that, it just sounds like the students were goofing around and put the tape on themselves to be funny. I also get that she was joking around by posting the photos. Not something for her to lose her job over- sounds like middle schoolers being middle schoolers and a teacher making the wrong judgement call by posting the photos, but nothing more. She did nothing malicious.

teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It sounds like pretty harmless fun, but putting it on Facebook is where she's made the big mistake. Nothing about school EVER goes on Facebook, except in the most general way - like "I had a great day". Certainly no photos.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
TheTRUTH

TheTRUTH

Some common sense would be nice but....
Old 01-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

To post anything work-related on Facebook, especially as a teacher, is something that common sense should prevent.
That being said, the sad world we live in tells us teachers are not to be funny. Nowadays, classrooms are to be all business (aka TEACHING TO THE TEST....nothing more, nothing less).
Seriously though, in this overly politically-correct world, even a verbal joke can cost a teacher their job. So sad.

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was jokey like that and took photos all the time of their silly antics. My favorite project for those last few days of school after finals was to make copies of the photos and let the kids make their own scrap books full of memories of my class.Ispent a fortune on the project but it was my special thing. It was fun. I should maybe rethink that when I go back.....
janeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

catapult

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

the principal in our school doesn't allow us to take photos of our students.. unless we have written permission from the mom... this prevents a lot of trouble!
catapult is offline   Reply With Quote