The VENT

Gggrrrr!

>

7more

Gggrrrr!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Dear Parent,
Thank you so much for home schooling your child. He tests at a Kindergarten level and should be testing at a first grade level. I have to get him reading 50 words per minute by May and he doesn't even know his letters and sounds. No accountability for you but my pay is tied to his test scores. AWESOME!!!

7more is offline   Reply With Quote

catapult

Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

glad in my school pay isn't tied to test scores-- I don't even think its a fair thing... this year I have a class of 28 students with 9 of them terribly weak... last year from my class of 27 i had 2 really weak ones... imagine what my pay would be with my 9 weak students...
catapult is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

And my governor thinks that parents who homeschool should get money for doing it!

I don't want to start a war with homeschoolers here. I am not against it...in fact, I have even given some thought to it with all that I see happening to public education in my state. However, there is absolutely no accountability or system in place to make sure that kids are actually being home schooled here. How do you offer money if you aren't even sure that there is education going on.

Some people who homeschool are amazing. Some don't do anything.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
And my governor thinks that parents who homeschool should get money for doing it!
Sane homeschoolers won't take it. Then there are those who would.
In my private school, all incoming kids are tested. The child in the OP would be in a K class, not 1st. Can this child be place in a K classroom since that's what he needs?
I'm sorry your pay is tied to scores.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

At least...
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the new guy isn't naughty! I got the records from the "Homeschooling" and he has been homeschooled for a total of seven hours this year. That means 1 day of instruction!!!!! We have online classes for those who are homeschooling and his records show that the online course dropped him after 7 hours due to lack of attendance. Multigrade I sure wish that he could be placed in K where he needs to be but we place kids in classroom based on age not needs!

Truancy

Truancy

Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just want to clarify that this child was not homeschooled. This child was truant.
Truancy

Truancy

Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's also possible that, if he truly continued homeschooling rather than truancy, the family chose to do an independent program rather than the online one likely tied to the public schools. You wouldn't have those records unless the parents voluntarily gave them to you.

7more

Student
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The parent indeed said that she used the online program and that she did homeschool him with that program. The parent signed for the records to be sent to our school. She said she didn't use any other program. Given that he doesn't know his letters/sounds and only knows the words the, is, and to. I'd say she wasn't following any program.

multigrade

Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wonder why the program didn't call him truant? He wasn't really homeschooling.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

No accountablity
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The reason he wasn't truant is because a parent can say they are homeschooling their child but our state doesn't track these students. Many of them just don't get any schooling until the parent decides they don't want to be bothered by their child. Then they send them to public school and we are labeled as poor performing. With that being said not all homeschooled students are like this. One year I had an amazing student who had been home schooled and she was well rounded and could keep pace with all the other students.

Truancy

Truancy

Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Generally, public schools don't see the successful homeschool families, of which there are many, many, many. It is not many that don't get any schooling. You are not seeing a true representation of homeschooling by just seeing the ones sent back to public school.

It does sound like this child was enrolled in a public virtual school though and not a homeschool. There is a difference there too, and this child should have been marked as truant. The public virtual schools have attendance requirements, which is likely why this child was "dropped," as you said.
TeacherLady6

TeacherLady6

It's all about what the parent actually 'did'
Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My relative is homeschooled and she's a very smart, well-adjusted girl. My cousin actually follows the curriculum correctly and is accountable. It sounds like this parent did nothing with this child and is lying about following the program. It's so sad. Why can't parents just take their kids to school? It's free. Homeschooling is only appropriate when the child will actually be schooled. You can't just not take your kid to school for a year and claim you're homeschooling when you're actually not doing anything constructive. Some people just don't have a clue.