Help

The VENT

Payroll

>

teacherman

Payroll
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Poll: How many times has your school district screwed up your pay?

Follow-up: How are you paid over the summer?

Backstory: My district has managed to screw up my pay three times this school year alone. Tomorrow it looks like I will receive half my regular pay. Let me explain why. For a number of years my school was so overcrowded we needed to run a multi-track schedule in order to fit all the kids in. If you don't know what that is, basically each teacher and student worked three months on and then got one month off. During that off month, another class and teacher occupied your room.

Two years ago we switched to a more traditional schedule. Instead of having 4 weeks off in July, we not got 6 weeks off in the summer. We then received a two week fall break and a three week Christmas, in addition to the typical one week in spring. That is where our problems began. Our district only pays you for when you work, they then pull money out of each check and hold onto it to pay you when you aren't working (during fall break, two of the three weeks at Christmas, and then over the summer). Here we call that deferred pay.

Now when we made that switch we did not have enough in our deferred bank to cover the longer summer, so the Board paid us in good faith, we earned it back over the school year and built up a surplus, then went into the hole again the following summer. That's been the cycle ever since. Well our Board can't seem to keep payroll functioning properly and they have had all sorts of problems with overpaying and underpaying people, so when we signed a new contract they decided that they would no longer do deferred pay. Furthermore, they also decided to change us to an even more traditional calendar, so we will now have a 9 week summer.

Well, in order to guarantee that everyone ends the school year with a positive deferred pay balance at the end of this school year, they decided not to pay anyone out of deferred if they have a negative balance. Our paychecks tomorrow cover the last week of Christmas Break and the first week back of school, so without any heads up, many people at my school will be short half of their expected pay. The only way we found out is that our pay stubs are posted electronically the Monday before we are paid. I am outraged.

To make matters worse, between the longer summer break this year and the fact that my deferred only banks up enough for about four weeks (two checks), I now essentially won't be paid anything for 5 weeks this summer (whatever we have in deferred will be paid out with our last check this school year. I estimate that should be enough for 4 weeks, the length of my summer under the original school calendar).

I wish school districts had to answer for this kind of garbage.

teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have never had anything wrong with my pay. My district takes our yearly salary and divides it by 24. We get 2 checks a month whether we are there or not. The checks are for the same amount each time unless you happen to do an extra duty ( like supervise a basketball game) . If you do receive extra pay during the month it s added into your paycheck at the end of that month.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

catapult

Same as hand
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

only we get a yearly salary- paid in 10 months- excluding the 2 summer months of vacation... we get a check every 15th and 29 of the month... We get 10 days off- where we still get paid so unless you go over the 10 days, the checks are always the same... exceept now my taxes are up since January- so now my checks are less.... but thats a whole other story!
catapult is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like you're all getting whatever pay you've earned, but the district screw ups mean that some may be getting a lot less or not getting paid over breaks (b/c the district already overpaid them?) It would really throw me off to have inconsistent paychecks.

I am actually a 12mo employee, so I get paid throughout the year. When I was a 10mo employee, they just took my salary and divided it into 24 equal payments so my check has always been the same. Every job I've had has been that way, except for one year I had the choice between getting all the summer paychecks in one lump sum at the beginning of summer, or get it spread throughout summer months.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

JDprek

Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I once had a paycheck bounce. I got my check and went to the bank and deposited it. Two days later I get called into the office and am told that my check would probably bounce and they would fix things if it did. Well, I had already paid several bills so when my check bounced so did several other checks. I went to payroll and said it bounced to which they replied "Prove it". I then had to get paperwork from the bank stating that my check had bounced and so had several bills. Payroll said they would cut me a new check and cover the bounced check fee but they wouldn't cover the overdrawn fees I incurred because of their mistake. (We're talking nearly $300 in fees from being overdrawn) I was pissed! I complained to them for days about this. I would never have been overdrawn if they hadn't bounced my paycheck and then told me it was a possibility 2 days later. If I had known it was a possibility I would never have paid bills out of that account. Anyway one Friday about 3 weeks later I got tired of them refusing to pay for their mistake so I took all my paperwork and planted myself in the payroll office and refused to leave until it was taken care of. They finally conceded and paid for the overage fees. Turns out they had bounced a lot of checks and caused a lot of overdrawn accounts so they were refusing to cover anyone's. It took months for they to get things straightened out.

JDprek is offline   Reply With Quote

Indiana Jen

Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No issues. We're paid 2x a month for 12 months by direct deposit.
Indiana Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
How many times has your school district screwed up your pay?
Never. I've been with the same distinct for 20 years. Once they forgot to direct deposit my supplemental income check for my intern. They just cut me a paper check the same day.

Quote:
How are you paid over the summer?
We are on 12 month pay, from September to August. One check per month. However, we have a choice to get June, July, and August checks by lump sum direct deposit in June or pick up a paper check each month. I always take the lump sum. I'm quite capable of budgeting from June until my September paycheck. Others aren't, so they pick them up each month.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
How many times has your school district screwed up your pay?
Once, the county didn't take enough out each month so our summer paycheck was significantly lower and many struggled that month.

Quote:
How are you paid over the summer?
We have 2 options:
  1. Get paid over 12 months and the district will hold back some to pay the 12th month
  2. Get entire pay within the 11 months
After the summer they messed up, I started getting my entire check for the 11 paychecks. I average out the checks by a year and take out that amount from each paycheck and put it in savings so I have a full July paycheck. Works well for me; but, have to be disciplined to not touch that money!
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

2_babygirls

teacherman i am in your district
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My checks this year has been messed up a lot. I am not as much in the negative like other teachers at my school. I was on maternity leave 2 years ago and wasn't paid for a month because payroll said I went too negative. I told the lady on the phone that how was it possible for me to go to negative if they are the ones that do payroll.

My check this week was actually fixed and I was paid the full amount. I think they want to keep us all confused so we won't question what's going on. I have been saving for the summer or else I will have nothing. I really wish the payroll department would get evaluated like we do.
2_babygirls is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherman

Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Mine was corrected as well, but I am irritated over the number of times this happens. It is almost always corrected, but we never hear an apology. So for that reason I am pushing the Union to see what can be done. Also, I am told that the Union is working with the Board in regards to the summer shortage, so we shall see. I just wanted to know if our problems were typical. Apparently they are not.

teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny

Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Pay- do a google search for teacher pay in New Zealand. Since September there have been thousands of missed/wrong pays nationwide here. I know a teacher who is still waiting to have her pay from August.

Holidays - when all things are going well we get paid fortnightly for the whole year so 26 pays a year. (?? I think, its too hot here to think properly right now.)
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote