Help

Second Grade

Summer Tutoring need help please!

>

harlowm2002

Summer Tutoring need help please!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi...I am tutoring 3 of my previous students just one hour a week for the next four weeks. Essentially 4 times only...Mom wants me to work on reading with them so they don't lose too much over the summer. I don't think they will, they are all ABOVE grade level in reading and math, two are going into 2nd grade (and I had them this past year) and the other one is going into 3rd grade (I had him as a first grader too). What should I do??? I know them well, but not sure what would be most beneficial to all of us...Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! I was thinking of some reading and writing connected activities...

harlowm2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 07-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think reading and writing activities would be awesome! I know writing is hard for a lot of second graders that I teach, even the ones who are good readers. Maybe they can do some higher-level thinking reader responses to something they've read----not just the summary but other higher level thinking questions or thinking about ways to extend and stretch their writing responses.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Bee

What about vocabulary work?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just finished reading a book about vocabulary instruction and it got me excited about incorporating more vocabulary work into my schedule this year. Pick out a book(s) you want to work with them, and pick out words.
There was an activity that had the kids writing the word, definition, synonym (examples), antonyms (non-examples), a picture they could draw of the word, and a sentence to use the word in that is at least 7 words long. Another idea is having the kids write the words on a card and then on the back assigning a color of their choice and coloring the back of the color. Then they have to explain that color choice. For instance, for the word segregate, the child explained they had chosen red because red was the color of bricks and bricks separate things from each other just as it is when we segregate something from something else.

The book had other activities that I liked and really stressed the idea of having kids take ownership to word learning. And if the kids are a bit higher level they might come up with some interesting thinking.
Mrs. Bee is offline   Reply With Quote