Help

The VENT

Negotiations

>

rlyndecker

Negotiations
Old 03-08-2014, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So our Union officially declared Impasse and of course the district is blaming it 100% on the union. This is what ____ me off:

1) The DISTRICT sent out there side WHILE they were AT the table still as in LITERALLY at the table still. One of the members of the team said the Superintendent's email was received and they hadn't even stopped for the day!

2) The District constantly is talking about "WHY" it's "OUR" fault to everyone who will listen but they won't disclose anything to us.

3) The district keeps offering "package" deals only. So if we want a changed they will change a but only if we also change b,c,d,e and there's no negotiating on b,c,d,e it's a package deal.

4) and this is what ____ me off the most- they TALKED TO THE PAPER! So now everyone thinks our teachers are Selfish because we are at Impasse because we turned down 7.5% raise.

no where does it say out of that 7.5% over 5% of it was $ that was taken away from us over the last few years, no where does it say that we pay MINIMUM out of pocket $500 for health care A MONTH (that's for HIGH DEDUCTIBLE/BARE MINIMUM CARE); No where does it say that one of the main reasons why we turned it down is because they are adding more time to the Jr. high with out pay. ETC. It just says "_____ teachers turned down a 7.5% pay raise" And people on Facebook actually believe it!
The parent who posted it is actually a really intelligent parent so she of all people should know there is more to the story!

UGH & I can't say anything because I get in trouble just for breathing so I am too chicken.....

rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Wisconsinite

Wisconsinite

Feel for you
Old 03-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm signing out because I don't want to give away my location.

As a Wisconsinite, I feel for you, but if it helps, how would you like to be in Wisconsin with no collective bargaining at all? Some districts don't even have unions anymore because they chose to not recertify or lost the vote to not certify.

I don't want to downplay your situation, but, it could be worse!

GraceKrispy

Old 03-08-2014, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That sounds like de ja vu! Just like what we have gone through, almost exactly. Don't you love it when they turn it their way?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Xb4me

I agree
Old 03-08-2014, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are having the same problem in my district. My sympathies.
Xb4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Negotiations
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ugh, it is awful. I'm glad you do have a union or you would be getting nothing at all.

Being a teacher and part of the union has certainly taught me to NEVER believe anything printed in the newspaper! There is always a twist to the story or outright lies. Unfortunately most people rely on papers and newscast for news and actually believe what they read.

Stay strong. We are are entering out negotiation year now so I'll be right in the middle of the mud slinging soon.

Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

These are typical things done during contract negotiations. In the one contract negotiation where I was a union rep the union said nothing to the public to counter the misinformation that the district was presenting.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockguykev

Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Vent away but at least be honest that this happens both ways. This is what happens when labor is set up in an antagonistic manner toward management in any industry.

What is the district supposed to do? Say "Yes, we're in negotiations and we plan to give them every single thing they demand regardless of how it affects the budget or your tax dollars."?
Rockguykev is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

I want...
Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The district to keep negotiations to stay at the bargaining table and not in the public eye.
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote