The VENT

Ron Clark Article

>

teachlove05

Ron Clark Article
Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/06/living...-tell-parents/

So I am curious as to what you all think of Ron Clark's recent article. I believe wholeheartedly in everything he says here. This article has really started some debate between parents and teachers with most teachers supporting his view points and most parents flaming him and his views.

What do you all think? I then read the part 2 of parents VS teachers on CNN, and the comments I read made me both angry and sad.

teachlove05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Old 04-03-2014, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read this last year and encountered a rebuttal article by a parent who advocates "unschooling" children (pulling them from the school system and keeping them at home). In her rather vitriolic and hyperbolic replies to Clark's discussion, the parent at multiple points compares public school teachers to participants in Stanley Milgram's obedience experiment. In other words, she equates sitting in a classroom and listening to a teacher to being subject to increasingly intense electric shocks. She intimates that teachers are hardened sociopaths who are indifferent to the suffering they inflict on the poor children by making them sit, listen, and follow rules. Kids are hardwired to frolic in meadows, she argues, not be caged in desks and classrooms. Rude students and persistent discipline cases are just tortured souls who can't take this unnatural captivity any longer and react with hurt and anger to an unbearable situation. She argues that Clark is wrong that teachers may see a student (accurately) in a different light than the parent. No... She KNOWS her child FAR better than any teacher ever could, and it's presumptuous for a teacher to suggest otherwise.

Let's just say you can't argue with crazy. This is why I generally stay away from comment boards about teachers... Anti-teacher types tend to be nasty, extreme, and intractable. You'd be as well to beat your ahead against a brick wall for all the good it does to offer a reality check or a measured reply.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 04-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Interesting articles. So sad that parents are teaching their children to not respect "authority". It is one thing to disagree its another to be disrespectful. We are doing a dis-service to students, are we really preparing them to function in society and business? I think not with all this teaching to a test.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

55 rules do not apply
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ron Clark's 55 rules was used in my classes when I was getting my teaching credential.

It is generally very sound advice, especially when working in lower-SES schools.

BUT, in my career, I have personally been "fussed at" or almost written up by administration and/or parents when trying to implement at least four of the rules.

The rules were probably intended to be used when you have full-backing of an administrator who stands up to parents.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

Old 04-03-2014, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yep, read and weep...Administrators today are all about making the parents happy & screw the teachers

needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeB83

@Angelo
Old 04-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hope that lady (that sounds like a mom) is prepared to hire and pay her kids too.....
ReeB83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockguykev

Old 04-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Most of it is spot on except for:

<<We walk on eggshells in a watered-down education system where teachers lack the courage to be honest and speak their minds. If they make a slight mistake, it can become a major disaster.>>

For someone like Clark, who made a career out of being courageous in the face of nonsense, to make this comment and direct it at parents, not teachers, is a mistake. Not all teachers lack the courage - he proves it. Far too many of us do and that's our fault. Every part of life runs this risk. We have kids suspended for finger guns. We have CEOs forced out for political donations. We have pro-football players cut from multi-million dollar contracts for having family in gangs. It happens. It shouldn't stop anyone from being honest and speaking their minds.
Rockguykev is offline   Reply With Quote