Help

The VENT

The "summers off" argument

>

Penguin82

The "summers off" argument
Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

"Teachers shouldn't complain about being paid less because "they get summers off and vacations,etc etc."

It's pretty much a nails-on-a-chalkboard saying. It drives me freaking crazy.

I usually respond with:
"Gosh, it sounds so good, you should TOTALLY be a teacher!"

Or if I'm actually having a discussion, I explain how many hours I work a week versus what I'm paid, and that I'm not paid for time school is out. I'm also expected to pay for all my training, my classes to keep my job, classes for technology, etc. all on MY TIME, with no compensation. I'm expected to pay for students supplies and classroom supplies.

I work another job during those "summers off" as well as spending 30 plus hours in august getting my room ready.... Without pay.

At my minimum wage job my boss takes me and my coworkers out for $$$ dinners and pays for all my training. I'm treated a hell of a lot better than I am as a teacher.

Anyway, what do you say? Or do you not say anything?

Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enseigner

Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I pretty much touch on the same things you mentioned and I don't let it get to me. In my opinion summers are mandatory mental health days to decompress from the incredible stress that goes with teaching. There is a reason I am a substitute teacher!

Just remember everyone thinks they know what a teacher does because they spent time in a classroom, they TRULY have NO clue!
Enseigner is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

My summers
Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are a lot of teachers in my family so I don't get this argument from them, but I do get it from strangers. What I usually do is explain that I am contracted for ten months of employment with my pay being spread over twelve months. I say that if it was not spread out I would not get paid for two months. I can't say that I pay for my own training, because my district pays for the PD I receive. I can't say I spend countless hours getting my room ready for the new year because I choose not to. I don't spend a great many hours working in my room over the summer. I'm not expected to buy supplies, I haven't done that in about ten years. If parents don't supply it, the school does.
I do tell people if they want summers off and breaks throughout the year to become a teacher.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I say that I am only paid for the days I work and that they are perfectly welcome to go to college and get their credential. In fact come into my classroom for a week and try it out. Most critics of teachers can't do the job in the classroom .
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just say, "yes I like it." If their claim meant anything they would be a teacher.

EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I get people who ask me what I do during the summer a lot. I always teach summer school, so that shuts them up pretty quickly. I also explain the whole getting my ten months of pay spread out over 12 months thing.

I have also had people ask me how many hours my "required day" is- I get the feeling they're expecting it to be short, because they think it's the same as student hours. I even hear someone on the news once refer to teaching as "part time" because the teachers "get out at 2:30." They're always shocked when I say that my contract hours are 8 hours per day-at the minimum I am required to stay at school for 8 hours per day.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Summers Off
Old 05-13-2014, 03:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I was teaching full time, I worked seventy to eighty hours per week for 36 weeks per year...and extra hours in the summer on curriculum committees, professional development, setting up my room, etc.

70 x 36 = 2520 hours/per year

80 x 36 = 2880 hours/per year

I also paid for my own master's degree, all professional development, and classroom supplies that usually amounted from one to two thousand dollars per year.

I would ask the person doing the bashing if they worked every week all year, and how many hours they worked in an average week. They usually had off two to four weeks for vacation, and worked an average of 40 hours per week. Usually any meetings, professional development, or travel was paid by the employer. I would tell them to do the math!!

48 x 40 = 1920 hours/per year

50 x 40 = 2000 hours/per year

Even at 60 hours per week, I was working more than they were!!!

60 x 36 = 2160 hours/per year

Doing the math shut their mouths in a hurry!!!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

i DONT get paid during the summer
Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We make it so our paycheck is cut so we get checks in the summer but I am not getting paid for those months...i am just getting a check but I already worked those hours. I also get the complaints--but you just sit all day and read magazines ..thats when I say, "my P has always said we can have visitors. Would tomorrow work for you? this is my schedule, make sure you go to the bathroom before you come because you will jhave to wait 2 hours and bring breakfast for lunch because mine is at 1030. Oh, and we have an extra meeting after school so dont plan on leaving at 3. There will also be an IEP meeting so we will lose one period to that, so it may be a good idea to brng a lunch that you can eat in 5 min.". Needless to say, no one has ever taken me up on that visit
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

My response
Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My response?

Okay... You want to pay me for the hours actually worked? Pay me like a daycare provider. I'll charge $5 per hour per student. So that's about $25 per day. That's actually a little low for where I live, but whatever. So let's say $25 per day times 30 students times 180 school days. That's $135,000. I'll take it. If you don't want me to take the summers off, let's add another 40 school days. In that case, it'll cost you $165,000 for my services.

But remember... that's just daycare. I'll do a few activities and keep them busy and out of harm's way, but daycare doesn't include the delivery of a specific curriculum, and it certainly doesn't include grading assignments. How many daycare providers do you know who take home work and grade it? If you want any actual teaching or assessment on top of the "daycare," that'll obviously cost you above and beyond the $135,000 (for 180 days) / $165,000 (for 220 days), and I might have to ask for health benefits.

Oh... you'd rather pay me $73,000 in exchange for actually educating your son or daughter? Are you sure? The $165,000 "daycare" ship is sailing...

Last edited by Angelo; 05-13-2014 at 08:44 AM..
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I posted this on another post about summer vacation - but I get a total of 3.5 weeks off this summer due to summer school. During those weeks off, my team is expected to spend one week doing curriculum planning. So that leaves us with 2.5 weeks off this summer. I will spend a few of those days getting my room ready (because we have an entire week of staff development and then home visits we have to get done too, so no time to set up your room!)

And I'm moving this summer. So how many days do you think will be completely MINE? NOt very many.

ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

You're a teacher
Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

you are so lucky you have a long vacation!
No, I can't afford a vacation this year, tell me about your vacation to the islands.

You are so lucky, you don't work in the summer.
Well, yes I do work all summer, I just don't get paid. My car is the silver Accura. Count how many hours it is in the parking lot.

You are so lucky, you have the summer off.
Well, the landscaper has the winter off without pay too. Is he lucky? Why don't you fly that opinion by him next Feb.

You are so lucky to spend time with little kids. They must be so much fun to be with.
Well, I'm sure I would find your kids fun to be with, but not all kids are like yours. Why don't you call all the kids in the neighborhood into your family room for 5 hours this Sat. remember you can't leave the room and no tv or tech. tablets etc.! Stay with them. Then we will talk abut the meaning of fun.
BTW- the last one isn't really right. I do find them fun and wonderful to be with. I just know the people who have said this to me do NOT think other peoples kids are fun. They tell me they are all brats.

Yes, the grass is always greener.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Recently, a parent from my school - became a substitute at same school. I just had to laugh one day as she walked off of the recess field - and stated she needed "a drink" - welcome to the real world.
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Haley23
Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Your comment made me think of a call in radio show years ago.
The guy started ranting about teachers and how they really work part time.

A call was taken and the guy stated he was a teacher and wasn't it just great to work part time like he does. After all you are only on air 3 hours. The dj went off on how much prep he had to do for the show. The teacher reminded him that there is more prep and grading papers, reports etc. than preparing for a broadcast. And the best part was when he told him, and we have to fact check everything. We can't just make crazy observations with no evidence and spew it out to our listeners as if it was the truth.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

KCN96

agree but..
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

i love this but fyi i worked on a daycare and had 22 kids and only made 13 an hour teaching private pre-k
most of the other teachers(did not have degrees) made 9 an hour.
if u charged 5 dollar an hour per kid that would be 200 per day per kid..the daycares around here don't even charge that a week.
KCN96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Huh?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

200 per day per kid? At $5 per hour? Are there 40 hours in a day now? I'm confused.

Assuming 5 hours at $5 per kid, that's $25 per day per kid. That's what we pay (125 per week) and most people around here pay more.

Sounds like your daycare employer made a killing off of you.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 05-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I always get this comment. I just reply everyone chooses their career, you can choose to be a teacher for your next career and be home in the summer too. I then just say that I don't get paid in the summer so it is ok. That usually quiets things down.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jola

Old 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I just choose not to argue with them. Maybe just give them that smirky smile that implies they think they know what they're talking about, but they are sadly mistaken. Mumble something about, "You wouldn't believe it if i told you" and change the subject. Most people don't have a clue what all teachers are required to do, or what we do above and beyond the requirements.

Don't fall into their trap of making this a competition between your job and theirs. I know what all it takes to be a good teacher, and that's all that matters. I know what kind of hours it takes and how little it pays. I know what I could be making if I had stayed at my corporate job. But I also know the true rewards of being a teacher, and I'm satisfied with my career choice. I don't feel the need to justify it to anyone else.
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

We are Laid Off during the summer
Old 05-13-2014, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

That comeback was taught to me long ago.

We don't need to defend our deserved "vacation time" because it isn't.

We are put out of work with no pay for two months out of the year.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

argument
Old 05-13-2014, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I quit arguing a long time ago. It's not worth it. People believe what they want and honestly they just don't have a clue. When people say that, I just say something like, "Yeah, I do enjoy staying home to work on lessons in my pajamas". They're usually pretty surprised we work over the summer. They think we open a book and give page numbers for kids to read while we sit at our desk grading papers. They don't know it takes planning, interventions, TST meetings, calling parents, disciplining, etc…

Usually when I give that type of response, their curiosity gets the best of them and they're no longer trying to make a point - and I no longer need to make mine.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockguykev

Old 05-14-2014, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I say it is one of the many perks of the best job in the world. I have no problem admitting it is a huge benefit.
Rockguykev is offline   Reply With Quote

CurlieGirl

When I am lucky
Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

someone makes that remark in front of one of my kids. Then I turn to my child and say, "please tell this person what Mom does with her summer off."

Since they spend a lot of time with me in June packing up, and a lot more in August helping me get ready again, and a lot of time during the rest of the summer sharing me with my job (training a, classes, planning) they are more than happy to set whoever-it-is straight about their misconception. I have never had anyone say another snotty word to me on the subject again after they have been schooled by my (always respectful but very emphatic) children.
CurlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote