Help

The VENT

End of year tears

>

MsRoadWarrior

End of year tears
Old 05-23-2014, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This was a Facebook post I saw this week from an elementary school teacher...

"Already crying today. A little girl, who has very little, spent her allowance on this ring and mother owl necklace because she said she loves me like a mom. Tomorrow is going to be ridiculous. One of my students said she was bringing a bucket for my tears ‪#‎whyIdoit‬".

Of course she received several "likes" and praises. It makes me wonder if I am not as dedicated as those teachers who cry because they will miss "their kids". As a high school teacher I have connections with all of my students, but the tears I cry (if any) at the end of the year are from joy that the year is over... then I feel guilty.

MsRoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

bmcgee81

I have middle schoolers
Old 05-23-2014, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and mine are tears of joy today too!!!

Love them all but I am glad to see this group go, of course the worst ones are all here today on this last half day before summer!!!
bmcgee81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tears
Old 05-23-2014, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it is an elementary thing. You see how much progress has been made. I used to cry every year, now, it depends on the class. Kinders always made me cry. Three years ago I cried from the sheer relief of watching them leave and knowing I made it through without having a complete nervous breakdown.

This year I don't predict tears - a lot of hugs and laughter.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

Tears
Old 05-23-2014, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think your emotions depend on the group of kids you have. This year I WILL miss my kids. Last year on the other hand I couldn't wait for them to be gone!
7more is offline   Reply With Quote

Seussical

Retiring today...
Old 05-23-2014, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

TEARS of ecstasy!!!

Seussical is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Awwwww Not
Old 05-23-2014, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have never known a real teacher who was like that. Guess there could be one. Everyone I have ever known could not wait to be rid of them. Bittersweet...because of the sweet ones. But still, all that mush. Even the sweetest, nicest, bestest teacher that I know ... and I mean she is unbelievably in love with her students, does not get like that.

Only on Fakebook
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeB83

Depends
Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would get all misty if one of my first graders did that. They rarely do and that's fine too. I take a picture of my wall of cards they all drew me and throw them away in June.

I got a letter last year from a graduating 8th grader last year telling me that I was the only adult there who spoke to her like an equal. I never taught her; we just had a casual conversation waiting for our rides in the hall one day. That one got me.

You know when I really lose it? Kindergarten graduation. Something about those little caps and gowns and the singing just warms my heart. At the end, I'm supposed to walk them off the stage, like a crossing over. I'm a mess every year.
ReeB83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

I think..
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm one of those teachers. I find that I get emotionally attached to my students. I see them in their innocence of childhood, and watch them grow into little people (I teach first grade). There are years when I'm happy to see them go, and years where I cry. I think now that I have my own ds, it may he different. When I was single and teaching, the little ones were my life, that's when I had the most tears.

I am always a mess at the 5th grade graduation.

I really do think the primary teachers get much more attached to their students.
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

VATeacherDude

Ahh...
Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I remember when I was in elementary school, and my teachers would start to get upset when we were walking out their doors for the last time, I even had a 6th grade teacher who wore her sunglasses as they waved us off when the busses departed because she was so upset! I'm sure for every teacher it's mixed feelings since some have bad classes, and then there are teachers blessed with a good class here & there...
VATeacherDude is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Middle School too!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I will be sad as my students were great this year! But I will not cry - oh no! It has been a year of assessments, CCCS, practice PARCC, performance based assessments, new admin,. NJ ASK, etc. I need time to chill! Love them all but I need time to gather my marbles - I seem to have lost some this year!

MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MsRoadWarrior

At least I'm not alone!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I know that different connections are formed depending on grade level, so I was worried that I was becoming more jaded after 20 years of teaching by crying tears of joy on that last day rather than because I will miss my 120 students
MsRoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

shopgirl78

Old 05-23-2014, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I really will miss some...others are driving me INSANE.
shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I am a real teacher.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I have never known a real teacher who was like that.
Yes, I have cried real, honest tears for some of my students.

My whole school wept when we were closed by the Archdiocese of New York.

Quote:
Even the sweetest, nicest, bestest teacher that I know ... and I mean she is unbelievably in love with her students, does not get like that.
We are all individuals. We all react different ways. I would never put down a teacher who doesn't cry. I'm sorry that you think that someone feeling so connected would be disingenuous. That has not been my experience.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-23-2014, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't think it says anything about dedication. I have been weepy at the end of the year, and I have also been somewhat indifferent (more excited the year was over). I think teaching secondary also makes a big difference- you spent less time with more students. In elementary (where the bulk of my teaching experience has been), you often spend all your time all day with the same set of students, and I think you form different types of relationships in that situation, especially with younger kids.

Don't worry about what you think it says about you, because I don't think it says anything about you.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

crying
Old 05-23-2014, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm not a big crier - it's the way God made me. I will definitely miss some of my students, and others I'm just glad they still learned despite their behavior disruptions. Some people are more emotional than others, but I don't believe for a minute that it makes them a better teacher one way or the other. It's just the way we handle ourselves.

I also know that some people on Facebook need more reassurance that they're a good teacher (mother, wife, etc…), so they put things like that out there. Again, nothing wrong with it - it's just the way their emotions work.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Cmommy

Old 05-23-2014, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

While I have never actually cried (I'm not a crier) some years I do really miss them (I teach primary). This year I will miss my group of kids - they were a great group. Last year I was extremely happy to be done.
Cmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I cry nearly every year.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

It has nothing to do with the kind of teacher I am. It's not because I will miss them. It has to do with the kids, and their accomplishments. I teach first grade. I see them come in as babies, unable to do much of anything independently, and I see them leave as independent students who can do so much. It makes me emotional.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 05-23-2014, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Some people are criers, some are not. The ones who do are not fakers and the ones who don't are not less dedicated. It's just the emotional makeup of the individual
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I used to teach at a school where it was a tradition for the teachers to stand in front of school and wave at the kids on the buses on the last day. That first year, the principal told me, "Oh, everybody will miss the kids so much, we all wear sunglasses to hide our tears, everybody ends up crying"

Um, ok. I felt pressure to cry to prove how much I loved my students. I kind of fake cried it a little, because the principal was standing right next to me. Truth was, I liked my students just fine, but I didn't feel like crying at all. I was, and always am, happy and looking forward to the summer at the end of the year.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 05-23-2014, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

It really depends on the individual. I cry at Hallmark commercials! I have had tears in my eyes on the last day. Not often , but if it was a really great class, I would tear up. With all the pressure the last few years it has been tears of joy that summer is here!!
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I am a crier. I used to get teary eyed at most of my classes when I taught elementary. Never shed a tear when I taught MS. Back in elementary this year and I might shed a tear or two!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockguykev

Old 05-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm a real teacher who teaches middle school and is a man and I am proud to say I always cry when my 8th grade AVID kids go. I spend two years pouring myself into them and looking back over how much they grow in two years gets me every single time.

I can happily say I merely teared up for our 7th grade event last night. Next year is gonna be a mess.
Rockguykev is offline   Reply With Quote

treemonky

Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Hmmm, that would rub me the wrong way, too. I almost never post things about school or my class on facebook. I only ever cried at the end of the year once. I was 5 months pregnant and I was surplussed. Usually I'm pretty darn happy that the year is over.
treemonky is offline   Reply With Quote

Elemteach22

Old 05-23-2014, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I love my students and I teach kinders and first graders but never cry when they leave for the last time. By that time, I am so exhausted that ALL I want to do is spend some quiet time with colleagues or even by myself. It doesn't mean I love my students any less that those who cry. I rarely cry over anything--certainly wouldn't cry over watching that bus roll out of the parking lot the last day of school!!
Elemteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aderynbach

Old 05-24-2014, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

There were moments of sadness, pangs of missing them, but mostly I was so tired that I was really ready to wave goodbye! I teach first, and though I will miss my kids (some more than others!) I didn't cry. It was a challenging year and I am mentally and physically exhausted. Maybe I'll miss them more next week, after I'm better rested?
Aderynbach is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Depends
Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

On the class, how attached I am to the students etc.
I teach 3rd....

It also as PP stated depends on the type of person you are. I am VERY emotional but even I didn't get emotional last year, it was more like "I can't believe it's finally over!" This year, despite my awful year with the P, and even though this group is intriguing they are fun, they are cute, they make me laugh, I have to admit even though THEY aren't emotional as I wish they were (they left Winter break/spring break without a care in the world- it was like see ya! ) I KNOW I will cry this year...
I don't think YOU should feel like you aren't dedicated, as long as you do the best you can, then you are dedicated.

Also, definitely don't feel guilty- feel happy that the year is over I will even though I will be sad and miss my students!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

I'm a real teacher
Old 05-24-2014, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I cry some years and others not so much. I teach fourth grade and yes I love my students and feel sad that I am passing them onto the next teacher. There is something about children moving on that makes me feel so proud and sad at the same time. I actually envy the teachers who don't cry because it's embarrassing that I do and that I need to wear sunglasses on the last day of school. Oh and let me say it again...I am a real teacher, aren't we all on the site??
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote