Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Discounted novels for classroom

>

ravwin17

Discounted novels for classroom
Old 12-23-2014, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for a website where I can get junior high novels at a very discounted price. I have 27 students in my class and I can't afford the $5/book cost. Any suggestions?

ravwin17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nanja

Social Media Remedy
Old 12-27-2014, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try posting a link on Facebook. Your "friends" will buy a book or two. List the address to the school so they can ship it there directly!!
Nanja is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

Our school librarian
Old 12-28-2014, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

often orders from Amazon. Sometimes it is through multiple suppliers but we've gotten books in good condition for $1-2. When they come in she tapes the outside covers to help them last longer. We also get scholastic points from book fairs that we can use sometimes. Good luck!

PS Just thought of something else, do you have any local thrift stores or bargain book stores. Scholastic also holds book sales sometimes where you fill a bag for @$15. Good luck
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockguykev

Old 12-30-2014, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

DonorsChoose is one place to look for extra support. I've gotten two class sets of books through them.

You can get free sets of Ayn Rand's books from the Ayn Rand Institute as well. Anthem, in particular, is excellent for Jr. High. They'll even send along a bunch of writing prompts and lesson plans with it too.
Rockguykev is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Books
Old 12-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Try Thriftbooks. The books are ususally second hand but all in good condition. The prices vary, but you may be able to get a good deal.

NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-01-2015, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've used a combination of sources, some mentioned here already plus a local used bookstore. Sometimes it takes a while to get the copies together. Are all the kids in your room reading the same book?
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Book order
Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Not sure if you are looking for the class set of a book or just novels to stock up your classroom library, but do you send home book orders. I work in a Title One school with kids who get everything, they order books. With them ordering books, so far twice this year they gave coupons for every student to get a free book. I don't hand the real coupon out as 80% of the kids won't use them-I give them a copy and then if they don't use it, I can. Most months they have a book for $1.00.

I have never had luck, but lots of others have had luck at thrift stores and garage sales. Ask friends who have students a bit older if they have any books their kids are ready to get rid of. For that matter, ask your students if they have books to get rid of-my first year I got a bag full.

As a teacher you get, I think 20% off at Barnes and Noble. Amazon will sometimes have discounted prices also.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

ravwin17

Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you for the ideas. I went to Donorschoose site and realized its for public school teachers and I work in a parochial school, so I don't believe I am eligible to register. I will keep searching for other avenues, but I do appreciate your help.
ravwin17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Townsend Press $1
Old 01-21-2015, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am a big fan of the Bluford High series. The publisher is Townsend Press. I got my sets through Donor's Choose but you can go to Townsend Press website. I think copies of their books are about $1 each. These are for lower readers who are in MS and HS.
Also, some of the books are available online as audiobooks, if you want to preview:
http://bluford.org/audiobooks/the_bully.html

I have thousands of books in my school library. I got many from Donor's Choose but I also get donations from my students. Parents are often eager to "get rid of" books cluttering up kid's rooms. I also get books weeded from the school library from our librarian. I get all the lost books found in our school and books unwanted from other teachers. Our librarian will often call me when a student is eager for a book and the library is out. We have about 1000 kids in our school and I just have a simple sign out book to lend out books.

Start out slowly. Did you beg for money from your principal, parent group, and any local bookstores? We no longer ALL read the same novel. Could you do an independent reading study with different books?
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote