Help

The VENT

Kneeling during the pledge

>

elepen

Kneeling during the pledge
Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It was just a matter of time before I saw this in a classroom where I subbed.
I subbed for a very sweet 1st grade class that I've subbed for before.
During the pledge 2 boys knelt.
I didn't know what to do
So I went up to both of them quietly while they were sitting and asked them why they did that?
They said they didn't know??
One little boy blurts out it's a protest and it's a free country.
I said I bet some of you have parents that are in the military and some said yes. I said that's why we're free because of those parents and others that are in the military.
End of discussion and back to work.
Left a note for the teacher

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Not worth your adrenaline...
Old 10-12-2017, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sure they have been kneeling for a while.

As long as they were quiet, I would let it go.

A sub was banned for raising hell about 3 boys kneeling in my DD morning class. (middle school)

I hope the parent doesn't come back in a foam, raising cane about went down. My DD school actually sent a email blurb about kneeling during the pledge. Legally, it's allowed.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

let it go
Old 10-12-2017, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. As long as they are not hurting anyone or making noise....let it go!
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Would you discuss it with an Amish kid? And I imagine a sub has fewer protections than a teacher. Someone else mentioned a 10 ft pole and I agree.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

AuntKK

Confused
Old 10-12-2017, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Was your comment in support of their kneeling or opposed? The military parents did make it possible for citizens to express themselves. So I guess you supported these students kneeling.

I have many Amish and Mennonite students and some Jehova Witnesses. It has never caused a problem when these students don't participate (although, most anabaptist stand silently). I try to teach my students to respect different cultures and beliefs.

AuntKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 10-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had a young man last year who didn't say the pledge. The only thing I ever said to him was that I expected him to respect those who do. Never told him to stand (which he did) but he needed to be quiet and allow those who do want to say it the ability to do so. He thanked me months later for not making a big deal of it.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

As a sub, don't do the pledge
Old 10-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If I were a sub, I would just skip the pledge and then I wouldn't have to deal with that.

In my classroom, if someone started kneeling. Here's what I would do. "Oh my goodness, Hang on kids, let's get back to this... Sit down...I forgot a super important email I needed to check. We'll do it later. "

THEN, after a couple of hours I tell them "Today is the day were are going to move a few seats. I'll be doing this several times during the year because it's important for you to be working next to different people."

I would move the kneeler to the last seat on the end where he / she was the most unnoticeable. Then the next time we did the pledge I'd call the kids that were closest to him up for the honor of holding the flag. That way nobody would see him kneel. I would not look at him or notice him. I'd praise the children for how nicely and patriotically they stood. If the kneeler wanted to comment I wouldn't let him. If anyone else said anything , I'd say, just don't look at him. He would get NO attention whatsoever.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 10-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was raised to respect the flag and my mom was from another country and she was so happy when she became a citizen and kept her little flag which I have now.
When I was teaching full time I always was sensitive to Jehova witnesses and Amish children who don't pledge allegiance because of their religion. I'm happy I live in a free country and carried signs in my youth during a teacher strike.
This is something else. The flag should always be respected and other ways to protest should be found.
I totally agree that being a sub I need to let go and ignore now that I've had my shock

Izzy23

Old 10-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Legally you can't do anything. If this is truly a free country, then we can't require loyalty oaths. Let them kneel and move on with your day.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Old 10-12-2017, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The pledge is read by a student and announced over the intercom system, so we hear it no matter what. I've never had a student not stand but it wouldn't bother me if someone knelt. Yes, we are free. That also means we are free to kneel.

readnteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

No big deal
Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

As long as they aren't causing a disruption. It's not about disrespecting the flag anyway. I've had many middle school students not say the pledge (said over the P.A. at the beginning of school along with a moment of silence and then announcements). I just ask that students be respectful of those who do stand. Early in my teaching career (in the '70s), Jehovah's witnesses stood in the hallway. Now they stay in the classroom and either stand or sit quietly.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

One of my first graders did that
Old 10-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

He was smiling big as he did it, and I knew he was just copying what he'd seen on TV. I ignored it and it never happened again. During Constitution Week, I gave small flags to those who exhibited good citizenship. The same little guy got one of the flags for good citizenship. He keeps it at school and holds it high during the pledge.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-12-2017, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
During the pledge 2 boys knelt.
Students probably saw a sports figure do it; students have no idea what it means they just think it is cool. What was the student protesting anyway? Crappy school lunches?
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 10-12-2017, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Subman

I thought the same thing about the sports figures. I loved your comment about the crappy lunches

Maceola

Old 10-12-2017, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Honestly, I barely say it this year myself because I'm too busy trying to reign my students in and get their bodies in control to even stand still long enough to say it. We have breakfast in the class, so someone is always trying to grab a bite, continue morning work or figure out if the announcements will precede the pledge, or follow after it. It's so scattered and unorganized, it's a battle I just can't fight. I stand respectfully and scan the room, while redirecting behavior the whole time. It's a regular 5th grade by the way, go figure.I'm like the kid at the dinner table saying grace with her eyes open, so I can get my sibling in trouble for having his eyes open .
Maceola is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Pledge
Old 10-14-2017, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Zia,

I love the sentiments of that poster.
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 10-14-2017, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Linda 2671
I love ❤️ your story

annie_g

Old 10-14-2017, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would just ignore it. Why do they have to stand? Just move on, especially as a sub.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Zia
Old 10-14-2017, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Great poster Zia.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

frazzledtchr

Impressionable Kids
Old 10-15-2017, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm still finding it difficult to figure out why these athletes chose to kneel during the National Anthem to protest something that has nothing to do with Patriotism. It's scary what's becoming of our country, and our children are observing it all through the media and social media.

I was taught to respect our flag and still get chills when our National Anthem is played. I'm not sure what I would do if I had a student kneel during the pledge.

I had a friend in 5th grade who was a Jehovah's Witness, and she stood during the pledge although she didn't participate. She also helped us make paper chains to decorate at Christmas as long as she did didn't do the red and green. Makes you wonder what the point is...

If someone feels a need to protest something, find a logical way to do it; don't open a whole other can of worms by disrespecting our country. There are a lot of people in our country who need to return to social studies class to learn about the beliefs that helped form our country in the first place.
frazzledtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-15-2017, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
I'm still finding it difficult to figure out why these athletes chose to kneel during the National Anthem to protest something that has nothing to do with Patriotism.
Well...personally, I find racism unpatriotic.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Leave it alone.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

You just need one parent to say that you infringed on the rights of their child to peacefully protest to make a big stink. And to be honest, back in the day that would've been me. And my kids, even in elementary school, knew about racism.

Please understand, that kneeling for the flag, it's not about protesting military or even America, it's a protest against racial injustice. In fact, it was a military man who spoke with Colin and explained that kneeling for the flag shows respect for the military but can still be a protest against racial injustice. Most of the military people that I know, especially those of color, support kneeling for the anthem. Those who don't understand this are perpetuating a misconception.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Maceola

For the players...
Old 10-16-2017, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

the kneeling is about raising awareness. They have a public platform and use it for that purpose. That is the beauty of of a free society, and one of the most peaceful forms of protest I've witnessed. By the way, all of the lyrics in the National anthem (the full one) don't represent all Americans in a positive light. I believe they're called the forgotten lyrics.
Maceola is offline   Reply With Quote