Help

BusyBoard

I want to make snacks in class

>

Ms. Teacher#1

I want to make snacks in class
Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I would like to try to make some snacks with my students but not sure what i can safely make with them. If possible I want it to be related to a theme, holiday, book, or whatever. I do have a microwave and I am getting a mini fridge.

What are some snacks do you make with your students right in the class?

Ms. Teacher#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbly25

hands-on snack activities
Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For a week in October I do a spider unit. At the end of the unit our class makes spider cookies. Here is how you make the spiders... Take 2 cookies and spread icing on both sides. After you do this take 8 mini pretzels and place them on the icing. This will be your spiders legs. For the eyes I use either chocolate chips or mini m&m's. It's fast and delicious! A great culminating activity! I also like to make it educational and ask my students facts about spiders during this recipe.

Also in october we learn about pumpkins. We carve a pumpkin then we bake pumpkin seeds with a toaster oven I use in my classroom. Another snack I make with them is upside down pumpkin pie... put it in a clear cup layer as follows- pumpkin pie filling (from a can), vanilla pudding ( you can get individual cups at the dollar store) and crushed graham crackers on top!

For veterans day our class makes American flag graham crackers. Use vanilla icing for the base then decorate with licorice, icing, sprinkles etc.
bubbly25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

snazzy snacks
Old 08-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I taught second grade we did Snazzy Snacks.
Here's one link with info but if you google it you'll get lots of other ideas too.
http://www.mrshaynes.com/snazzy%20snacks.html
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

sipping tea

Old 08-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

mswinston.com and bainbridgeclass.com have snazzy snack recipes that are simple and don't require cooking. There is one for each month.
sipping tea is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Check Out
Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

ActivityTV online. They have cooking videos for children that might be helpful.

Another idea you might have an interest in would be solar cooking. I have never done this before, but have thought about it. I saw online an oven made from a pizza box and foil. I think they suggested baking cookies in it. Also, someone here on PT was talking about pizza box solar cooking recently. They made smores. Anyway the solar bit might be a good science connection. Just a thought.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

simplymetoo

Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My daughter did chocolate covered pretzels with her class last year. Melted chocolate in the microwave, students dipped in chocolate and decorated with sprinkles, etc.
simplymetoo is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You've gotten some fantastic ideas here. I want to be in your class! I'd wait until the school clinician gets all the med forms back and check for food allergies among your students, then plan from there.

I did an after school cooking club last year. We had a microwave and an electric skillet. We made fajitas, shrimp alfredo, breakfast Chex mix (wheat chex, dried apples, raisins, brown sugar), decorated cupcakes, rolled up sandwich wraps, and french toast. I also brought in my immersible hand blender for a session and we made yogurt smoothies. I talked a little bit (10 minutes max) before each actual cooking session about how that featured food was processed, how to buy it (picking fresh meat, just ripe fruit, etc.), etc. to try and give my kids a little nutritional/consumer info.

We had a kid allergic to yogurt (dairy) so he used the blender first in his soy stuff, then we rinsed it off for everyone else. I am allergic to shellfish and the kids wanted shrimp, so for that session my DH came and taught the class. I was the approved county employee hanging out on the fringe of the goings on.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I taught kindergarten, we cooked every Friday. We always made something that started with the letter we were focusing on during that week.

It's been awhile, but I'll see what I can remember:

back to school: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom- celery stalks with peanut butter. Add Alpha-bits cereal and Whoppers for coconuts

A: applesauce- cut the apples in the morning & cook on high in the crockpot with sugar & cinnamon. It made the entire building smell great!

D: doughnuts- Made with biscuits & fried in an electric skillet. This was done with a LOT of instruction and kids were not allowed anywhere near the actual cooking. They did each get to poke a hole in the biscuit and make it into a doughnut shape. Then, their cooked doughnut was placed into a brown lunch sack that contained powdered sugar. They shook the bag to get the sugar to stick to their doughnut.

N: noodle nests- chow mein noodles mixed with melted butterscotch chips. Can add candy eggs.

R: rice krispy treats

I know we made something every week, but that's as far as I can think right now!
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

I've done simple things like...
Old 08-13-2010, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

the quick setting pudding.

You can also do chocolate covered cookies (same as the pretzels, but dip cookies--you could even use different pre-made ones: oreos, nilla wafers, sugar wafers, lady fingers, etc).

for the choc. covered pretzels, use rods, and only dip half way through, decorating with sprinkles and other things for gifts...

the applesauce is GREAT and easy.

you can make butter and ice cream relatively easy with a can (i'm sure you can google recipes, easily).

that choc. chex mix thing...it's called puppy chow, I think? that can be done in a microwave. It's SO yummy, too.

Oh, if you go to Whole Foods, they have programs with schools. One of the teachers I work with does an enrichment class with our 8th graders on healthy eating. She has some kind of a program with Whole Foods (even did a field trip there) and I *think* they provided food for her. I'm not sure, though. Worth a phone call!
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Cooking With Kids
Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a page on my website with recipes for each month. I will be adding more throughout the year.

http://teacherweb.com/MO/MillsElemen...ers/apt17.aspx

LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Friendship Fruit Salad
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Here is a cute idea. I almost forgot this one. I got it from someone else on PT who was nice enough to share.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Friendship Salad-1.doc (20.5 KB, 13 views)
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Teacher#1

Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

THANK YOU for all the replies. There are so many great ideas here!!!!!!!! I am in the process of writing these ideas on index cards and keeping them in a index box for the year so I can use them!!!!

I am going to have a ball this year with my kids!!! I can't wait to decorate, meet them, teach them, & have some fun with them!

Ms. Teacher#1

Websites!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The websites are so incredible. You think of something and someone here on PT not only has thought of it but did it amazingly. I love these sites and boomarked all of them!!
cml220

cml220

Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am going to assume that you have checked food allergies and school policies before you have started to get so excited?! My children's school district has the policy that no food may be brought into the classroom unless it is prepackaged (with the label). No homemade treats allowed- so that MAY include cooking in the classroom? Most teachers just don't because there is also the policy about only healthy food, so that cuts out the chocolate/candy treats as well.
I am a preschool teacher in a private preschool and for the past 2 years I have had children in my class with nut allergies (ALL nuts, not just peanuts), so that often eliminates chocolate because a lot of those labels say- "may be manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts." I was even surprised to read that label on the back of simple animal crackers (3 different brands!). We have done some cooking, because it was pretty easy to avoid nuts. This year I have one student with the ALL nut allergy, and one with all nuts, dairy and egg. We are not cooking this year.

Ms. Teacher#1

Thank you for the concern & advice
Old 08-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am very close to my supervisor, the assistant principal, and before I posted my question I called her about our school policy. Although I pretty much knew that this is allowed at our school because many of the K teachers do this with their students.

Also, the first day of school, I send home notes to parents about allergies (especially because I have chronic asthma and have serious allergies to some of the students' perfumes, lotions, powders, & food allergies myself) and have stayed away from this area.

But with proper cautions, once I understand who is allergic to what if at all I am going to give it a go this year.