Help

BusyBoard

Consultant help!

>

your_life

Consultant help!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here's the dilemma: I was recently asked to be an independent consultant by a tutoring firm. I've checked out the company, and they are legit. They provide tutoring to title 1 schools as part of the supplemental education services. I have been asked to provide 35 lessons, 45 minutes each, k-5 reading and math. They want me to outline a program and create scripted lessons. The person who was supposed to do this backed out, and I'm not entirely certain how my name came up.
I have independently tutored for as long as I have been teaching (6 years) in North Carolina. I have my license (k-9, + spec. ed) and a masters. I love my job most days and I feel like I'm fairly creative.
I am thrilled by the opportunity; I have always wanted to do something like this...
BUT (and it's a huge but) they want to know by Monday how much I will charge, and I just don't know! I don't want to charge too much, but I don't want to sell myself short... It's going to be a massive undertaking!
Should I charge by the hour (I charge $25 for tutoring, but for lesson plan writing?????) Or charge per lesson (I don't even know where to price that!)

Any insights/thoughts/whatnots, please! I'm desperate for something to compare this to!

your_life is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't be of much help but to say you should consider the fact that others will use those scripted lessons over and over again making their tutoring much easier. This is something you will create and sell once to this company. It should be a significant fee! Off the cuff I would say that you could charge $50 - $75 per lesson easily. It is going to take at least 2 hrs. to write a scripted plan. How long will you have to develop these? Do you have enough time to devote to this? It does sound like a great opportunity! I'd be curious why the other person backed out. Definitely don't sell yourself short. If they aren't willing to pay you for your effort which will be significant then it isn't worth your time and effort to create the plans for them. Unless, of course you agree to create the plans for a little bit less money as long as you retain the rights to the plans. Then you can sell them packaged on sites like Teachers Pay Teachers.

Either way, good luck as you consider this new opportunity.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1986

this is HUGE
Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They are asking for a gigantic amount of work just as you are starting back to school-I have a headache just thinking about it . But it is challenging and a chance to earn some good $$. I charge $50 per hour for tutoring one-on-one here in S Florida. The lessons you create, this company will have for a long time. I would charge at least $75-$100 per lesson. Have you ever written a scripted lesson? Whew baby!!! Good luck!
teach1986 is offline   Reply With Quote