Help

BusyBoard

Helping a counselor who's dividing the school

>

happygirl444

Helping a counselor who's dividing the school
Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need your help. My counselor is a kind-hearted person and really vested in the kids. We'll call her Katie. She's good with the kids, and she makes time to teach lessons in our classroom and do student groups even though she's not required to do so.

However, Katie has been dividing our school this past year. She's very obvious about liking some teachers more than others. She also talks about how her other school is better (they are a team, they are so friendly, they work hard, etc.). She doesn't go out of her way to support teachers, and whenever we have a social event or special staff event at school she doesn't come (but goes to the other school's events--which everyone knows). Katie also just decided to send her son to her other school in the district (even though she is zoned for our school and he should be coming to us).

I like Katie but sometimes she is so far off. What can I do to help her? I feel like I know more about creating community in a school than she does. She's not even getting to know the staff. What can I say to her? I am probably the closest she has to a friend at school.

happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

perhaps you should visit your the principal instead and let him/her encourage her
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it but our principal is not that type of principal. He gets annoyed with "staff conflict."

alysonfort

Old 08-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would think the last person in the world to be this way would be a guidance counselor! This is so unfortunate. I would gather a few teachers to share this with your principal. A really good principal will listen to your concerns. You have a right to work in a positive work environment!
alysonfort is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachkids

ask for her help
Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would ask her out for coffee so you're on neutral ground. Just let her know how much you appreciate how she goes out of the way for the kids, but you were hoping this year that she could also help unite the staff. Tell her you've noticed that the staff can be divided sometimes and that you think she's in a great position as the school counselor to help change that. Depending on how the conversation is going, you could give her some specific ideas (like coming to the next staff event). I don't know that I would be specific about her causing any division, and I'm not sure I would approach the obvious favoritism, but if you ask her to help with creating a stronger staff community, she may make choices that would be more considerate of the staff community.

luv2teachkids is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the help! You have great ideas!