Help

ARCHIVE

nouns

>

teachnguate

nouns
Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are some things you do to review nouns? I would like some ideas to supplement the worksheets.

teachnguate is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Noun Activities
Old 10-08-2007, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use a fall bulletin board with leaves for the kids to sort into bags. Each bag has a part of speech labeled on it. I use verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives/adverbs, etc. You could do Person, place, thing.

I teach the kids a song

A noun is a person, place, or thing.
A noun is a person, A noun is a place,

Nouns are Names (Polly Wolly Doodle)
Oh, lets look around for some nameing words for persons and places and things. Oh, a noun is a name; yes a noun is a name for a person or a place or a thing. Its a noun, it's a noun, its the name of anything. Any persons, any places, anything from hats to laces, it names persons and places and things.

A bingo board for each kid. Some boxes have proper nouns and others are common nouns. They can cover a box when you say dog (common) or Mr. Ed (proper), etc.

During guided reading we select books to read. They take it back to their desk to do a Noun Hunt and write them in the correct column (person, place, or thing) (common or proper).

I also use materials from Learning resources (check out the samples on their web page). They have cute little warmups that are like Mad libs (ie. noun libs or verb libs). The kids have fun playing during centers.

I also have a car game with the rear window and license plate showing. The license plates all have two letters. If my plate has (m e) then I make a sentence. M is for a noun and e is for a verb. So I could say monsters eat big meals.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One of the activities my 2nd graders enjoyed was sorting nouns using a tree map.

Another thing we did was to color code (highlighters or crayons) nouns (person, place thing) inside sentences.

Good luck,

Maddie
MaddieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Bassett lover

Tree Map
Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What is a "tree map"?
Bassett lover is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Tree Map
Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In this case a picture is worth much more than a description. Basically it is a graphic organizer called a thinking map.

Try this site

http://www.nhcs.k12.nc.us/htree/Curr...ngMaps.html#TM

Maddie

Bassett lover

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Now that you mention I have heard tht arrangement called that before.
Bassett lover is offline   Reply With Quote

NH

Nouns writing activity
Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have done a writing activity. I'll try to explain it. I have worksheets for each day I created. I did the typical activities to give the kids some background for what nouns are/do. Then we brainstormed places we could take a walk, i.e. bank, store, library, Fallen River Park,etc. We used specific names of places so we could understand Proper Nouns too. Then the kids were given a paper that I made with the title "Places I Went for a Walk". The kids had to choose five nouns that were places to go for a walk and fill in the five boxes on the paper. I left room to decorate the page. The next day, we brainstormed things we could get at places we walked, i.e. bank-money, coins, park-leaves, rocks, fish (our park people fish in the river). They then filled out the paper, "Things I got on my Walk" similar to Day 1. Day 3 was "Who would go with me on my walk", i.e. mom, Uncle Joe, friends, pets. On day 4 they used the papers they created to write sentences, I went for a walk to the beach with my friends and I got a tan, some shells, and a hotdog and coke. They drew a picture for each sentence they created. All the pages were stapled for a personal book. Hope this isn't too confusing.
NH is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What a delightfully creative idea. Thank you!

Maddie

sharon77

nouns
Old 10-13-2007, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

To review plural nouns we played Memory. I wrote sets of singular & plural nouns on cards and mixed them up on a table face down. The kids had to turn over cards until they got a match.
sharon77 is offline   Reply With Quote