Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

Need advice on a theme

>

Mrs R-Ski

Need advice on a theme
Old 04-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So i have many Ideas floating around in my head.

Idea one- Robots, gears, perhaps some rockets- Gear up for 4th grade, etc

Idea two- Inspector/detective, I have seen many cute things done with this online.

Idea three- something techy like iLearn etc.

I will be teaching 4th grade in a technology focused charter school.

Mrs R-Ski is offline   Reply With Quote

luvelementary

Old 04-12-2010, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like idea two-inspector/detective theme. Vista print has several cute detective images. I think you could have lots of fun with this and gear it for fourth graders.
luvelementary is offline   Reply With Quote
jlorir

jlorir

2/3 teacher
Old 04-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Every other year we have machines has our theme. One year, we cut out gear shapes, put the students pictures on them, and arranged them linked together for for the idea of "Working Together to Learn." On another wall, we created pulley's with circles and yarn with the idea of "Helping Each Other by Being a Friend". The circles were student generated ideas of how to help each other be on our best behavior all day.

Another year we did robots as the theme (the year Wallie" came out).

Next year, (when the theme comes up again) we are actually thinking of going to a garden theme, because plants are a machine in the way the way they generate their own food, they are the beginning of most food cycles, and farming is important in the surrounding community (which is a part of our machines theme - communities working together).

Hopefully these help you (and by the way, we are a technology based charter school, also).

NewTeacher08

Love this idea!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was looking online for some ideas for this b/c I really liked it! Here is a post I found on another site that I thought had awesome ideas:

. For behavior, you could have them move different levels of detectives - for example from novice to super sleuth! Super sleuths would earn more money. Or they could get different
numbers of stars on a badge to show how high up in rank they are.

2. I just bought a bulletin board border with a detective theme.

3. Start the year with autobiographies and leave the names off and have them solve the mystery of who is being described. You could have them secretly bring in baby pictures to add a clue to the puzzle.

4. My second graders love the Bailey School Kids, Cam Jansen, and Jigsaw Jones mysteries also.

5. They could come up with detective agency names for the groups that they are seated in. You could use these names to give small group rewards , calling them to line up, etc.

6. You could have a class mascot (a bloodhound maybe?)who disappears and the students follow clues to find him. You could either have him with another classroom or tie this into your curriculum by having him visit parts of the world that you study, etc.

7. Their name tags on their desks could be a badge that says Lt. and then their name.

8.You could have a part of the room where you rate the books that you read. They could be measured by how many "magnifying glasses" they get, like how many stars a movie gets.
NewTeacher08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs R-Ski

Old 05-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have decided to go with the robots/ gears/ machines (thanks jlorir) maybe I will do the detectives another year.

Mrs R-Ski is offline   Reply With Quote

twirls-a-lot

I love
Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the robots, gears, and machines idea! I want to go to a more "scientific-themed" classroom next year too [I do teach science...]. Maybe we can help one another out? I teach 6th grade...how about u?
twirls-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote

Artbex

gears theme
Old 05-22-2010, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have you looked at teach factory dot com? Her webpage graphic has gears all over it. I think she decorated one of her classrooms with retro gears. It was on theme palooza pt thread.
One of the school catalogs has some gear stuff as well.
Artbex is offline   Reply With Quote