First week of school

>

Mathinme

Mathinme

First week of school
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I'm banking on accepting a job at a charter school for a combine 4-5 grade math class. This will be my first year teaching and I need ideas on how to start the first week off. Any ideas and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Trying to get ahead start on planning.

Thanks from Texas

1956BD

Math Start
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always start with a discussion about why we need math. We brainstorm a list of all the ways we use numbers to confirm the importance of math in our lives.

I then tell them that math can be fun like a puzzle as well. We read one of Greg Tang's math riddle picture books and discuss. I like The Grapes of Math, but I teach third. Another of his titles might work better for your grade level.

Then I put them into teams to see who can solve a Sudoku first. As the groups finish I give them an independent math assessment to see who knows their facts. I collect these a few minutes later finished and unfinished. If it is unfinished I know they need to practice for fluency, if not accuracy as well.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 07-04-2012, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I began 6th grade last year with my favorite number project. Here is some info on it- I made it my own and created an example for them to see. They had 3 class periods to work on it- it gave me a lot of insight into 1) elements they retained from 5th grade and 2) how their solved problems

.http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=156763
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote