Help

Math & Science

Need Math Activity

>

Chloe2009

Need Math Activity
Old 07-04-2012, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for activities that I can hang in my room. I'm trying to brainstorm 1st week activities. I teach 6th grade Math and many of the students will come in below grade level for math skills. Any suggestions? Something fun but not too complicated to get them "engaged".

Thanks

Chloe2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Introductory Math Lesson
Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like to start with a discussion about why we need math. Then we brainstorm a list of all the ways math is used in everyday life including where and how we use numbers.

Then I tell them that math can be fun as well as helpful. I encourage them to find the fun in numbers. I also suggest they look for patterns and think of problems like puzzles to solve.

I read them Grapes of Math by Greg Tang. He has written many math puzzle picture books. You could choose a more challenging one that sixth graders might like more. I teach third grade. These books are interactive and promote discussion.

Then I have students work in teams to see who can solve a Sudoku first. A little Friendly competition is always engaging.

Then as they complete the Sudoku I have them start independent assessments on addition fact fluency to see who knows their facts and who does not. You could start with multiplication facts if you do not need to assess addition and subtraction.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote