bionicdivo4u

Homework ideas??
Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey teachers,

I'm trying to figure out a system to check homework and accomplish two goals
1) that everyone did it
2) that everyone is getting the right concepts from it

I thought about a dropbox, but then we wouldn't have an opportunity to go over it.

ideas please

bionicdivo4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Garcia

Homework
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We check hw first thing when they walk into the class..... They have to switch hw folders with someone at their table. I'll say if you didn't bring hw then get a demerit (conduct/behavior system). Most of the time I don't even have to tell them to get a demerit.... They just get it right when they come in to the door. Hope this helps
Mrs.Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote

NJMath

Homework
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I walk around and check for completness first thing as my students work on "do now" problems. I grade homework based only on completeness and it is worth 2 points a day. They get 2/2 if they completed it (and showed their work), 1/2 if they did half of it and 0/2 if they did not do it. After they finish their "do nows" I go around the room and have each student give an answer to each of the homework questions. Since everyone has to give an answer/answers I can hear who is getting it and is not getting it. If there are alot of wrong answers given I know I need to reteach/review the lesson and if most of them are right I know the students mostly got it. After we go over all the answers I give the students a chance to ask questions about any of the problems they had wrong that they want to go over as a class and we do them on the board. (I usually spend about 5-10 min a day total on the "do nows" and homework review.)
NJMath is offline   Reply With Quote

IL2teach

Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My system is similar to NJmath. During the warm up, I go around and stamp their homework. I only give them credit if they did all of it. I tell them it's all about effort.

I usually pick out a few problems that I glance at as I go around. Usually, I'll see a trend. For example, I'll start to notice that a lot of the kids got #5 wrong. I'll need to go back and reteach that concept.

I can usually tell if kids don't get it when going over the homework. They don't make eye contact with me, so that I won't call on them. Usually, body language is a good way to tell if they don't understand and they are too shy to admit it. I also do a thumbs up, thumbs down, thumbs to the side to get a feel for how many kids get it. Sometimes kids will do a thumbs up even if they don't understand just so that they don't feel singled out. So you have to use a variety of methods to see if they understand, but I find that it works.
IL2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

love2teach119

Nj
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like your idea, I will be using this method this coming school year.

love2teach119 is offline   Reply With Quote