Help

Math & Science

Studying for Math Tests

>

NJMath

Studying for Math Tests
Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Soo...every year I hear from students "you can't study for math tests..." and every year I go into the same speech about how you can and should study for math just like you do for any other subject...

This year I was thinking I'd beat the students to the question and give out a handout on the first day outlining different strategies to study for math tests. The big one I always tell students is that you study math by doing problems and I always tell them to do the odd problems in the text book (since the answers are in the back) and then go back and see if they were able to get the right answer. I also tell them to read over their notes.

What other strategies do you have your students use to study for math? I would love to get a wide variety of ideas so the students have multiple ways to prepare for tests...

(I teach middle school btw)

Thanks!!

NJMath is offline   Reply With Quote

nicantschaw

Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I talk about everything you just mentioned, but I also tell them to teach it to a friend. If they can teach it, they understand it. I also use an online program called IXL. I love it if your school has the money to spend on it. They have everything for the kids to practice.
nicantschaw is offline   Reply With Quote