Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

I need help picking a theme!

>

southernlove

I need help picking a theme!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher, and I always thought I wanted to do an ocean/beachy theme for my classroom. But as I've been looking around I've seen so much else I like! So now I am torn between beach theme, safari theme, travel theme or Hollywood theme. I know it's a lot, and I have a lot of ideas for each one already. However, I don't know what I could do the most with. I am going to be teaching 4th grade. Please help! Hearing other opinions from experienced teachers would help me so much! Thank you!

southernlove is offline   Reply With Quote

StaceyD

Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you will have fun with any of them. I taught 4th grade last year and did a travel theme to bring in a lot of our Texas history. I always have trouble getting Social Studies in during the day and this was an easier way to do some of it.
I am at a school this year that has a school theme.....stars. I am going to keep my travel theme and bring in stars through space travel.
Enjoy your first year
StaceyD is offline   Reply With Quote

ERAC

themes are awesome!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

look at classroom with style dot com - they have cute ideas on theme based classrooms. I have done the beach and Hollywood - I love them both but maybe Hollywood a little more. Congrats on your new job
ERAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Debbiedo

Debbiedo

Second Grade Teacher
Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi! I never ever use the same theme twice (HA)! due to to fact we are going to CCSS (common core state standards, I am going to create a 'genre' effect for a classroom theme- purchase/place genre pictures all over the room- Use caption for outside of room- Above and Beyond Your Imagination- Have pictures of your students in purchased airplanes-I plan to create a Treehouse outside my classroom (Magic Treehouse series); I am also creating a bb inside my classroom just for reading-including a map of US/World, comparison pocket chart, RAN chart (similar to KWL) to be used for interactive read-alouds, track your adventures by using pushpins in the maps; colorful pocket chart to place vocabulary words and a character of a Genie perfhaps that the students can use postnotes to write what they already know about the subject or what they've learned and place the postnotes on the Genie; You can actually get away with anything to add to the room from Medieval castles to western to oceans-Hang a fishnet in the corner of your room w/hooks to attach your students art work that reflects the stories they read; Use colorful pocket charts to place vocabulary words for every subject; label each and every cubbie used to stay organized! You need to take a look at your standards what you will begin the year with-that would also help you with a theme; I set up my room-math area, reading area; science area, and social studies area. If you don't have enough of bbs in your classroom, use the trifolds and decorate them!

1956BD

Classroom Theme
Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Why not do a travel theme. Then decorate one wall like a trip to the beach (nautical-ship). Another wall like a safari vacation by jeep. The third wall could be a trip into the mountains via train. And the last wall somewhere that you reach by plane-maybe a rain forest. The boys will like the different modes of transportation I think.

Lots of ideas in these sites and also very affordable things to purchase.

http://www.teachersclubhouse.com/classroomthemes.htm

http://www.teachingoasis.com/classroomthemes.htm

I have a travel theme as well. I covered some of my bulletin boards with old maps.

Good luck whatever you decide to use for a theme.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

desertdiane

Theme choice
Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Why not go with a cruise or voyage theme then you can incorporate beach, ocean, and the rest. Students could have "passport" and have them stamped or stickered after completing activities at each port.-Desert Diane
desertdiane is offline   Reply With Quote

southernlove

Thank You!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and opinions! They have been a great help to me!
southernlove is offline   Reply With Quote