Help

Math & Science

Singapore Math?

>

PCSLackey

Singapore Math?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a friend (former parent of a student) who is going to homeschool this year and asked my opinion of Singapore Math. I don't have any experience with it so I'm hoping some of you do! Any opinions? Pros? Cons?

TIA,
Melissa

PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

aph

Old 07-26-2012, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm actually in school now to become a high school math teacher so I don't have a lot of experience with elementary math textbooks. However, I've worked with some local homeschool students who are using Singapore Math(and another popular series with homeschool kids - Saxon Math).

Based on what I've seen, I think Singapore Math is a great series and is more advanced than series such as Everyday Math or TERC. If you want something really eye opening, there is a supplement to Singapore Math called Challenging Word Problems which you should look at.

ETA: The two main students I know who use this series took standardized tests at the end of the last school year without any advanced preparation or review. One got in the 98th percentile. The other who has severe ADHD and just started medication a week or two ago got in the 87th percentile.
aph is offline   Reply With Quote